Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League's Perfect Financial Storm?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So scrap the world cup as well.......more drugs please nurse.

As a keen England traveller, were you really actually chomping at the bit to head to Catahhr? Sample the nightlife and the fine range of local beers, and that? :wink:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nah....done it ain't I!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8353751.stm

and have since been there a handful of times with work. Very different country now to what it was in 2009 BUT its still going to be an absolute stinker of a world cup IMO.

It will be absolutely shithouse. There are a lot of extra parameters involved now. Qualifying is due to start in March 2021 (at least for Europe). How realistic that will be when the Euro finals are only three months off and no one knows if we will be in the middle, start or end of what domestic season. Then there's the fact it will be in Winter 2022 - well, at least it will now. It can't be in summer in effing Qatar. So when do we re-align? And everyone's domestic leagues will, presumably, be restarted in different ways and at different times. We may well fall in line with other "major" leagues like France, Italy and Spain but what about Germany that has dealt with CV19 far better, or smaller places like Belgium or Holland where it's possible they may get started domestically before us? What about the Monkey Tennis League?

And that's before you get over to Qatar and start a winter world cup dripping in money, hubris, identikit stadia and very little booze. **** that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It will be absolutely shithouse. There are a lot of extra parameters involved now. Qualifying is due to start in March 2021 (at least for Europe). How realistic that will be when the Euro finals are only three months off and no one knows if we will be in the middle, start or end of what domestic season. Then there's the fact it will be in Winter 2022 - well, at least it will now. It can't be in summer in effing Qatar. So when do we re-align? And everyone's domestic leagues will, presumably, be restarted in different ways and at different times. We may well fall in line with other "major" leagues like France, Italy and Spain but what about Germany that has dealt with CV19 far better, or smaller places like Belgium or Holland where it's possible they may get started domestically before us? What about the Monkey Tennis League?

And that's before you get over to Qatar and start a winter world cup dripping in money, hubris, identikit stadia and very little booze. **** that.

You're reiterating the point I have made several times that realignment will need to happen on a European level, if not globally. I just can't see national leagues stopping and starting to accomodate various weirdly timed international qualifiers or tournaments, all reset based on national agendas: local COVA recovery rates, local politics, weather, and let's not forget the Africa Cup of Nations (although it would be nice if we could).

Everything will have to restart in a co-ordinated way.

University of Kent are supposedly launching a brand new medical school in September. I was tapped up for a job there, but asked some awkward questions about what process would be used to recruit (or deploy current) staff to organise and deliver and assess a whole new commitment of teaching. The reply was tumbleweed. I can't see that happening now, yet there are presumably 400 or more kids holding UCAS offers....

I don't think we have even begun to realise how much this thing is going to rip a new one in every aspect of our lives.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You're reiterating the point I have made several times that realignment will need to happen on a European level, if not globally. I just can't see national leagues stopping and starting to accomodate various weirdly timed international qualifiers or tournaments, all reset based on national agendas: local COVA recovery rates, local politics, weather, and let's not forget the Africa Cup of Nations (although it would be nice if we could).

Everything will have to restart in a co-ordinated way.

University of Kent are supposedly launching a brand new medical school in September. I was tapped up for a job there, but asked some awkward questions about what process would be used to recruit (or deploy current) staff to organise and deliver and assess a whole new commitment of teaching. The reply was tumbleweed. I can't see that happening now, yet there are presumably 400 or more kids holding UCAS offers....

I don't think we have even begun to realise how much this thing is going to rip a new one in every aspect of our lives.

Off topic but education will be screwed for a very long time. Son is 13 and was due to take his options and then start GCSE study next school year. With this year's exams cancelled and grades awarded based on work and mocks (I believe) and next year's GCSE and A Level cohort effective "studying from home" I can see school years being repeated or holidays reduced when this is all over.

The majority of those studying will be spending most of the time on their Xboxes with the odd 10 minutes half-arsedly dancing with Joe Wicks and a couple of hours a day or so's lacklustre completion of the minimum possible allowed by Google Classroom and Show My Homework. Except, of course, for those with pushy, middle class parents who are able to take a dent in the income and spend all day crafting and solving algebra with Abigail, Tabitha and Toby.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Now that Scotland have made a decision and drawn a line under the 19/20 season it will hopefully encourage the EPL and EFL to also announce a timeframe.
I'm sure it all comes down to the repayment and scheduling of the TV debt. In reality the 'integrity' of the competition is far more secondary.

The season will be cancelled, it just depends on the outcome of the clandestine meetings that are taking place between the clubs and the TV companies.
They need to come up with some sort of exit agreement that is the least damaging to all stakeholders.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

As I said in my last post the country is very different now to what it was 10 years ago. Helped by Dubai struggling and them wanting to take in that money they've relaxed a lot of their laws. You won't be able to pop down the Dog and Duck like you can in most places but it won't be an issue getting a drink out there......as long as you can afford to drink.

Fifa also have history of dictating law to suit their own needs and governments are prepared to bend over backwards to accommodate them.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2014_FIFA_World_Cup_controversies#Budweiser_bill

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
As I said in my last post the country is very different now to what it was 10 years ago. Helped by Dubai struggling and them wanting to take in that money they've relaxed a lot of their laws. You won't be able to pop down the Dog and Duck like you can in most places but it won't be an issue getting a drink out there......as long as you can afford to drink.

Fifa also have history of dictating law to suit their own needs and governments are prepared to bend over backwards to accommodate them.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2014_FIFA_World_Cup_controversies#Budweiser_bill

It's not going to be the Czech Republic, Amsterdam or Belgium though, is it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wonder how the break is going to change the relationship fans have with football in general. Will they, or do they, miss it as much? Will they feel that they'd prefer non league etc? For a lot of people it's been a part of their routine and identity. The break might change that.

Probably a minority view on a football forum, but I’ve loved this break from the hyperbole, transfer lies, TalkShite, pundits, SSN and the general hype, schadenfreude and bitter hates surrounding football in these Isles. I’m not missing the endless football on BT and Sky Sports in the slightest.

I wonder if the Talkshite listening and SSN viewing figures have crashed to a tiny fraction of those previous?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Probably a minority view on a football forum, but I’ve loved this break from the hyperbole, transfer lies, TalkShite, pundits, SSN and the general hype, schadenfreude and bitter hates surrounding football in these Isles. I’m not missing the endless football on BT and Sky Sports in the slightest.

I wonder if the Talkshite listening and SSN viewing figures have crashed to a tiny fraction of those previous?

Then I’m part of the minority also. I’m completely relaxed about it, quite happy to be out of the hype. I’m in no rush for the football circus to start again. At some point in the future I am sure I will have a different view!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Likewise... _And_Son is beside himself over the lack of football but I have got over the loss quite quickly and am now in a happy football-bs-free state.

Jimmy Grimble

I’m in the same boat.

I tended to avoid all non-Albion related football anyway so it’s been a minor blessing of sorts.

I think I’ve actually enjoyed the break from the Albion too although I have been down memory lane a few times on YouTube to remember happier times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here