Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The impending Easter weekend 'second homes' exodus

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Many areas such as Devon, Cornwall and other UK holiday hotspots are apparently now bracing themselves for an influx from London and other populated areas in the UK, arriving in with their families. Bikes strapped to the back. Roof boxes, caravans, all heading off to their holiday homes to arrive for the Easter break, as though all is well and normal.

I'd fully support the idea of police setting up checkpoints to stop all these herberts in their tracks and turn them round. Going away for the weekend is in direct contravention of all the advice - there is simply NO excuse for travelling to other areas of the country right now, just for a cuffing holiday. I wonder how many folk will end up hospitalised as a direct result.

After being stuck at home with only the supermarket as a "trip out" for the best part of 3 weeks, I might just about lose my shit if I turn on the news and see the M4 clogged with selfish DILBERTS in Porsche Cayenne's towing mobile homes to the west country.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought tonight's news was very light on hospital meltdown coverage in what was been the blackest day for uk deaths so far, but plenty of coverage speculating about when the lockdown might be lifted.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I couldn't agree more, there was a big rush to the caravans and cottages up here right at the start of this thing, people need their brains examining. I even say a motorhome across the valley from me yesterday - Given that the more rabid nationalists have used this as a golden an opportunity to for a pile on to the English, I suspect I could have warned the local village a pitch fork laden roadblock would have been set up in minutes....

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Loads of checkpoints here and all campsites are closed so nowhere to put your caravan. Hopefully people have got the message.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Loads of checkpoints here and all campsites are closed so nowhere to put your caravan. Hopefully people have got the message.

This. Cornish campsites have been ordered to close, so even if you find a patch of ground for your caravan or motorhome, you won't have any water, electricity or dumping facilities.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's not the campsites that are the issue. It's all the braying City types "just popping down to my place in the country" or the adult kids with families "staying over with mother in the shires" who will bring the virus with them. There are groups online telling these wideboys and toffs how and when to travel to avoid being stopped and what phrases to use if they do. It's not being thick, it's being entitled. And they will be the first to start bellowing when they can't be seen by the family GP when they get a cough.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Won’t happen imho, no one is going to be stupid enough to hit the motorway in a motorhome with bicycles on the back etc. let alone hitch up a caravan to a car filled with family.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
People that already have nice houses and gardens thinking about going to their second homes need to be shot on site! They're probably the same people moaning at the people crammed into tiny flats sitting in a park for 20mins! The great social disconnect alive and kicking!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Totally agree.

But the second-homers may well be there already, called out by West Country councils. They crept in en masse in the early days of the lockdown. Feeling safer away from the south-east, arrogantly not giving a toss about likely spreading the virus.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Many areas such as Devon, Cornwall and other UK holiday hotspots are apparently now bracing themselves for an influx from London and other populated areas in the UK, arriving in with their families. Bikes strapped to the back. Roof boxes, caravans, all heading off to their holiday homes to arrive for the Easter break, as though all is well and normal.

I'd fully support the idea of police setting up checkpoints to stop all these herberts in their tracks and turn them round. Going away for the weekend is in direct contravention of all the advice - there is simply NO excuse for travelling to other areas of the country right now, just for a cuffing holiday. I wonder how many folk will end up hospitalised as a direct result.

After being stuck at home with only the supermarket as a "trip out" for the best part of 3 weeks, I might just about lose my shit if I turn on the news and see the M4 clogged with selfish DILBERTS in Porsche Cayenne's towing mobile homes to the west country.

They did say on Radio 2 news yesterday that police would be patrolling the west country routes and stopping cars that looked like they were en route for a weekend away.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
After being stuck at home with only the supermarket as a "trip out" for the best part of 3 weeks

:lolol:

lou-and-andy.jpg

"Come on David. Let's go to the supermarket. You like the supermarket, don't you?
"Yeah. I know."

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
In Cornwall, if you live close to a holiday home or someones 2nd home and you see signs of life, you can contact Cornwall council and they will turf them out, flog them, search for any uneaten pasties and close the property down.

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
There’s only one major hospital in Cornwall (in Truro) so the locals are really worried that it will be overrun with corona virus brought down there by the holiday homers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hard to to see anything amiss for anyone with a second home in Wales that hasn’t been burnt down.
They have been told to f*** off back to England every time they’ve visited their second home anyway.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You can look much closer to home. Even without lock down Arundel is fairly quiet most evenings, in terms of local people. Suddenly a Bank Holiday or sunny Friday evening and cars arrive from London full of city folk popping down to the holiday home ... and then Sunday evening, as if by magic, the cars and people disappear.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here