Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curious to compare the UK vs Australian (Victorian) lock down

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
So here in Victoria we are being told not to leave the house unless it is essential, the schools are closed, funerals are limited to 10 mourners, wedding to five people (the couple, two witnesses and the celebrant) Then in the next sentence we are told if you still have a job, no matter what it is, then that job is deemed essential and you must go to work if you cannot work from home. I am a sole trader and drive around a bit and while there is less traffic on the roads they are far from deserted. The bottle shops (off licences) are busy, the hardware stores are busy, curiously the madness in the supermarkets has subsided. I guess the twits have filled all the spare cupboards and bedrooms with toilet paper, rice and pasta and the chest freezers cannot take another frozen pizza or pie. So unless you scratch the surface the town I live in resembles something like a normal sunday, people walking, running, going to the shops etc. Whereas I would have expected it to be more like Christmas morning, quite with the very occasional car going past.

Unfortunately my father in law died on Wednesday (not covid), and this really brought home how devastating the restrictions are, can't visit each other, can't properly support his wife, having to work out who will attend the funeral etc.

So just curious if on the surface, driving along, walking, you get the same impression?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
In Brighton surrounding area, it is definitely quieter than normal but by the sounds of it, it is not the same up north. I'm temporarily doing a delivery job early to late evenings. The roads are busier than I would expect up until around 6-7 o'clock. Around 9 onwards it is like what it would be like driving around at 2am. I did so a Sunday day shift last weekend and it was pretty busy on the roads.

My son, 22, has thrown a wobbly and has gone to meet his mate and have a beer. The prat really doesn't get it, like a lot of other youngsters. He's bored as he has been in lockdown for 3 weeks, a) it's not been 3 weeks and it's going to be longer b) we're all in it the same!

Anyway, sorry for your loss and I hope you get to the funeral.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Had to take my wife to hospital today for her chemotherapy. The roads between Sittingbourne and Maidstone are eerily quiet for a Thursday morning - very few cars on the road, mainly lorries, but not even many of them. Very few, if any non-liveried vans to be seen - white van man has clearly stayed at home (and probably stoked up the BBQ and invited a few mates round).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Here in the SE burbs of Melbourne it does seem quieter than normal. Yes, I am going to work everyday, but the journey takes 30 mins instead of 45+, and I am using less fuel too. In my view there are more people walking around the local area for exercise now, before they might drive to the gym.

I think one enormous difference is the enforcement of restrictions. I read that in Manchester UK last week over 600 ‘parties’ were closed down by police and that there was one prosecution. On average here it seem there are almost a hundred fines issued everyday, one teenage girl was fined $1600 dollars for having a driving lesson with her mum. The penalty for breaking the virus rules is $1600 for individuals but many thousands for businesses. Generally people do not risk it, big test this weekend mind.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here