Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the best tackle you've ever seen on a football pitch?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Didn't he absolutely flatten Sanchez against Arsenal in the cup and yet win the ball? Or am I making that up? Someone did.

A quick Google doesn't reveal much about a tackle against Arsenal but the headlines in the first three links it returned are superb. They are:

Swindon's Rohan Ince cleared over bouncer attack https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4227210/rohan-ince-cleared-jury.html

FA charge Cheltenham's Rohan Ince over bottle throwing incident https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-th...r-rohan-ince-over-bottle-incident_367262.html

Annnnd………………………………………………………………..

Liverpool lead the chase for Brighton midfielder Rohan Ince :lolol: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ead-chase-Brighton-midfielder-Rohan-Ince.html

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I can remember being left in awe after witnessing a Mark Lawrenson tackle in his first match for us

First name that came to my mind. Lawrenson used to slide tackle opponents, get up and come away with the ball. He then usually went striding forward, waltzing past another couple of players before finding a well positioned teammate...

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
First one that sprang to mind.
90th minute penalty drama. Adam looked certain to score the rebound.
Stoke would have gone level on points with us if they had won.... and they were relegated.
Legally it was a tackle as the ref didn't give them a second penalty.

Yes, just as well it happened 1 season before VAR.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Martin Thomas with his head at Withdean. It remains a tragedy that neither this nor Charlie's Millennium Diary are on YouTube.
I remember that. I still remember [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] turning round to me with a look of horror that said "who the f**k is this mentalist" as he went in head first where most wouldn't have put a leg.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
First one that sprang to mind.
90th minute penalty drama. Adam looked certain to score the rebound.
Stoke would have gone level on points with us if they had won.... and they were relegated.
Legally it was a tackle as the ref didn't give them a second penalty.
That looked like it was going to be a bloody typical end to a game we had absolutely bossed until Shakiri equalised.

Let's face it though, it should have been a second penalty!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Anyone remember the Richard Carpenter 25 metre sliding tackle in the mud at Withdean against Luton?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyone remember the Richard Carpenter 25 metre sliding tackle in the mud at Withdean against Luton?

Yeah, that would have been my choice but I couldn't remember who it was against

I'd like to have said Lawro but he did so many that they all faded into one

What about Paul Clark's tackle against Lil Fucillo? I can still hear the crack

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Bobby Moore against Pele, Mexico 1970.

I used to try this regularly when I played. Biggest compliment one game... "great Bobby Moore tackle"

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Any tackle by Steve Piper or Paul Clark.

Just found this little snippet from Paul Clark back in 2009 when the Albion where just about to play Southend (who he made 278 lower-league appearances for):

As for the game Saturday?

"My loyalties are completely divided. The highest point of my playing career was at Brighton and winning up at Newcastle to get promoted to the old First Division. I got married in Brighton and my daughter was born in Brighton so it played a large part not just in my footballer career but in my personal life as well. It still breaks my heart every time I drive past the Goldstone and see a ****** retail park"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tommy 'The Flying Pig' Lawrence on a rookie Wolves centre forward at Anfield in the 1960s. Think Schumacher in the World Cup, but much funnier!

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Just found this little snippet from Paul Clark back in 2009 when the Albion where just about to play Southend (who he made 278 lower-league appearances for):

As for the game Saturday?

"My loyalties are completely divided. The highest point of my playing career was at Brighton and winning up at Newcastle to get promoted to the old First Division. I got married in Brighton and my daughter was born in Brighton so it played a large part not just in my footballer career but in my personal life as well. It still breaks my heart every time I drive past the Goldstone and see a ****** retail park"

Thanks for that. Great times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here