Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Squirrels love them or loath them?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
4A28B730-692C-4D7B-BA2B-5093FC5EF3A0.jpeg

Unfortunately they’re not fast enough to escape our cats

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haha haha [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] & [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] the Laurel & Hardy of NSC :shootself

Whilst we're on the subject of animal traps, I caught a very large orange slug the other day, nearly got away if it weren't for my stealth like speed and old man's rake.
A bit like Capt Ahab on land :D

Are you calling me fat? ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like squirrels. When I lived in Hove I used to have a squirrel feeder outside my home office window. It was a little wooden platform with a Perspex fronted box with a lid on the top positioned about 3 feet off the ground. I’d fill it with nuts and the squirrels would climb onto the platform, open the lid and get the nuts. There was one squirrel posse which had a disabled gang member, the disabled squirrel couldn’t get onto the platform so his mates would bring him some nuts whilst he sat at ground level. Very heart warming to see.

Dumb birds would also climb onto the platform but just repeatedly bash their beaks on the Perspex.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Used to give me much amusement when out walking with my dog. She was always up for the chase ( age and weight) meant she had no chance of catching any and when they went up the tree, she looked back at me as to say "what the feck am I meant to do now?" :lolol:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Evening squire. Before I cracked open the thread I thought it was about cuisine. Feel a bit ashamed, now.

The ultrasonics are very heavy on battery and are best run on mains. I have used them for cats, and they work, but unless you have lots of them they just trudge 20 more feet down the lawn and shit there. If they are recommended for squirrels, give it a go.

From your post I am gathering you haven't stooped to [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]'s level yet, and started trapping wildlife? ??? I gather he's turned his allotment into one great animal trap. What a rotter!

Best wishes to you :thumbsup:

There are some solar powered ultrasonic gizmos but with the lack of sun we get sometimes dont know how reliable they would be.

One thing I have learned tonight is that if you trap a grey squirrel its against the law to release them and they must be humainly dispatched.
Another thing I learned my wife wont let me buy an air rifle.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Used to give me much amusement when out walking with my dog. She was always up for the chase ( age and weight) meant she had no chance of catching any and when they went up the tree, she looked back at me as to say "what the feck am I meant to do now?" :lolol:

I have never seen a young fit dog catch a squirrel, always funny watching the dogs reaction when the squirrel disappears up a tree.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hate them. Red squirrels are delightful. The grey ones are revolting.

I believe they are officially vermin. We are constantly having to scare them off our bird feeder. They dig things up, they raid bird's nests for the eggs. They are the one thing which make me wish i had a shotgun.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Evening squire. Before I cracked open the thread I thought it was about cuisine. Feel a bit ashamed, now.

The ultrasonics are very heavy on battery and are best run on mains. I have used them for cats, and they work, but unless you have lots of them they just trudge 20 more feet down the lawn and shit there. If they are recommended for squirrels, give it a go.

From your post I am gathering you haven't stooped to [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]'s level yet, and started trapping wildlife? ??? I gather he's turned his allotment into one great animal trap. What a rotter!

Best wishes to you :thumbsup:

I’ve heard this too..often forgets his packed lunch so whips out his...........catapult ...Mrs AR gets the bbq going and then they are at it...eating squirrel all afternoon under the guise of exercise :moo:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I can't be the only person who remembers what controversy followed Browns' decision to put squirrel on their menu, probably some time in the eighties.
Protests galore until Browns backed down and the option to order cute and furry animals to eat was withdrawn.
The animals that weren't cute and furry had no voice and therefore no choice but to continue being eaten.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not being much of a squirrel expert on their non-garden activities, I've just Googled "Squirrels in your loft". Yes, they do get in to lofts if there's a hole in the roof for them to access it. No hole, no squirrel, unless one masters the use of an appropriate power-tool.

If there isn’t one they are capable of making one....customer of mine had a bungalow and the squirrel(s) chewed away a bit of their wooden soffit board and ran amok in her loft space.....i repaired it only to find a week later they had moved along a couple of feet and repeated the feat...got pest control in after that

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You clearly never met one of my terriers who caught greys regularly.

No clearly not :smile:

I was looking after a terrier and it didn't have a clue why the squirrel could jump through the trees 20ft up, the dog was running along jumping 2ft in the air and barking.
I suppose if I'm walking a dog through the woods there is always a nearby tree for the squirrel to climb.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida

Same with mine. they would certainly fit the "you are barking up the wrong tree, the squirrel is over there" section. Aston never got one, but the late Charley did get one once. She grabbed it off a fence while Aston was chasing it from behind.
Still vermin and known to cause a lot of house fires due to chewing through electrical wires in attics.
In the States they are all grey so would sit on the back deck with the air rifle and bring them down. Then I would leave the carcass out for the owls that lived nearby. I'm all for recycling.
Funny thing in Georgia you are supposed to trap and release. My neighbour did this once and they came back. So he trapped them again and released them a mile away. They came back. So he shot them. :D

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What's not to like?

What actual harm do they do that humans could possibly be outraged by their behaviour.

Outraged of Preston Park here... :angry: :rant:

Only the other week I had to go and alert the downstairs neighbours that they had a squirrel enjoying a hearty feast of nuts and seeds in their squirrel-proof bird feeder. By the time I got back upstairs again, the little shit had vanished.

Then on saturday morning I woke to the tell-tale sound of little hooves scampering across my bedroom ceiling. Ho hum, I thought, baby squirrel has breached my anti-squirrel grille. Thought it would soon bugger off again and forget my attic was there. And so it did. But not before cutting it's baby teeth by gnawing a big hole 3 inches by half an inch clean through my spare room ceiling. Sake! And of course the private pest control firms aren't returning calls at the moment.

Won't be calling the council pest control dept again, that's for sure. Had a real infestation in my loft a good few years ago, must have been a nest or something. Council guy came round. Very efficient, laid poison at strategic loft meeting points where squirrels like to congregate. 'Right, that should do it, give it a week or so' he said cheerily. 'Great! When are you coming back to dispose of the dead squirrels?' I asked. 'No sir, you have to do that yourself' he said, even cheerier than before. And so there I was one week later, up in the loft with a bin liner and a pair of marigolds... :sick:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Hate them. Red squirrels are delightful. The grey ones are revolting.

I believe they are officially vermin. We are constantly having to scare them off our bird feeder. They dig things up, they raid bird's nests for the eggs. They are the one thing which make me wish i had a shotgun.

They rip the bark off trees too.

I live near Preston Park and have seen a woman feeding them, they seem to know her. The other day she had about a dozen scampering around her eating whatever she had in her carrier bag.
My neighbours have a box they fill with nuts, the squirrels lift the lid take a nut, slam the lid down, eat the nut, lift the lid ..... over and over. It is amusing to watch the seagulls, they lift the lid, fall off the box and the lid falls down before they can get any food.

They are a menace, but when I look at their little faces, big black eyes and teeny ears I could never harm one
:smile:

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
"The grey squirrel is regarded as an invasive non-native species following its inclusion under Schedule 9 of the WCA. Grey squirrels are also listed in the IUCN international list of 100 worst invasive non-native species. This highlights the damage that grey squirrels cause to our native flora and fauna; a problem severe enough to be recognised at a level of global significance. As such, the grey squirrel is regarded as a pest species and is afforded no protection under the WCA. Under Schedule 9 of the WCA, it is illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild, or allow one to escape.

This means if you trap one, you are obliged to humanely dispatch it. You must not let it go as this act would be illegal.

Anyone who carries out, or knowingly causes or permits any of the above acts to occur could be committing an offence."

Answer = an Air Rifle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here