Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Squirrels love them or loath them?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
We have many squirrels in the trees behind our house, they seem to have multiplied over the winter!!....I dont mind them in the trees but this year they are starting to come in the garden and dig in pots and flower beds....obviously I dont want them close to the house....

We never feed them, I dont know if neighbours do and so that attracts them...

Any good ways to keep them out? ( apart from a shot gun ) they dont come in when the dog is out side but as soon as he is in the house they are back...

Ive read about ultra sonic scarers but do they work?
Plastic owls on a fence are supposed to scare them?

Coffee grounds on the flower beds......thats a myth as we have loads on the flower beds from a local coffee shop and still they come..

Up to last year an old chap a few doors down said he used to shoot them as they were pests....I thought he was joking....hes been gone now 18 months and it seems he might have been keeping the numbers down...

Any ideas?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I don't think you'll ever defeat them. As they say, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" Go for squirrel-resistant plants. They seem rather partial to Crocus bulbs and Camellia buds. Don't go out of your way to attract them in, but when they do appear, marvel at their athleticism and enjoy their antics. They are after all, very entertaining.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Occasionally fun to watch, but mostly bird-feeder wrecking annoying little ********. Air rifle for me I'm afraid.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We have many squirrels in the trees behind our house, they seem to have multiplied over the winter!!....I dont mind them in the trees but this year they are starting to come in the garden and dig in pots and flower beds....obviously I dont want them close to the house....

We never feed them, I dont know if neighbours do and so that attracts them...

Any good ways to keep them out? ( apart from a shot gun ) they dont come in when the dog is out side but as soon as he is in the house they are back...

Ive read about ultra sonic scarers but do they work?
Plastic owls on a fence are supposed to scare them?

Coffee grounds on the flower beds......thats a myth as we have loads on the flower beds from a local coffee shop and still they come..

Up to last year an old chap a few doors down said he used to shoot them as they were pests....I thought he was joking....hes been gone now 18 months and it seems he might have been keeping the numbers down...

Any ideas?

Evening squire. Before I cracked open the thread I thought it was about cuisine. Feel a bit ashamed, now.

The ultrasonics are very heavy on battery and are best run on mains. I have used them for cats, and they work, but unless you have lots of them they just trudge 20 more feet down the lawn and shit there. If they are recommended for squirrels, give it a go.

From your post I am gathering you haven't stooped to [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]'s level yet, and started trapping wildlife? ??? I gather he's turned his allotment into one great animal trap. What a rotter!

Best wishes to you :thumbsup:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I don't think you'll ever defeat them. As they say, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" Go for squirrel-resistant plants. They seem rather partial to Crocus bulbs and Camellia buds. Don't go out of your way to attract them in, but when they do appear, marvel at their athleticism and enjoy their antics. They are after all, very entertaining.

I was told years ago they could get into the attic......is that true or just an old wifes tale?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

I like squirrels. :smile:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I was told years ago they could get into the attic......is that true or just an old wifes tale?
Not being much of a squirrel expert on their non-garden activities, I've just Googled "Squirrels in your loft". Yes, they do get in to lofts if there's a hole in the roof for them to access it. No hole, no squirrel, unless one masters the use of an appropriate power-tool.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Cannot believe the divided opinions... Look at that handsome cutie

I very rarely get any in my garden even though I put peanuts out for the birds, there are woods a couple of minutes walk from my house and there are lots of squirrels there, must be enough to eat in the woods.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
What's not to like?

What actual harm do they do that humans could possibly be outraged by their behaviour.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Evening squire. Before I cracked open the thread I thought it was about cuisine. Feel a bit ashamed, now.

The ultrasonics are very heavy on battery and are best run on mains. I have used them for cats, and they work, but unless you have lots of them they just trudge 20 more feet down the lawn and shit there. If they are recommended for squirrels, give it a go.

From your post I am gathering you haven't stooped to [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]'s level yet, and started trapping wildlife? ??? I gather he's turned his allotment into one great animal trap. What a rotter!

Best wishes to you :thumbsup:

Haha haha [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] & [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] the Laurel & Hardy of NSC :shootself

Whilst we're on the subject of animal traps, I caught a very large orange slug the other day, nearly got away if it weren't for my stealth like speed and old man's rake.
A bit like Capt Ahab on land :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here