Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is Football getting fair treatment?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
More media stories berating (justifiably) footballers and those in the game. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52208509

Is it purely down to the media watching certain people in society waiting for them to slip (in particular footballers but also MPs and those in government) or is it that footballers are more arrogant and/or more stupid than the general public. If it's not drinking and partying with hookers, it's training together.

I don't think it's a coincidence that football and the people in it are looking egotistical, greedy & arrogant during the current crisis. I think they, almost universally, are and it's just people aren't accepting their sh1t at the moment (but do normally).

Discuss?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
media does like to make a meal out of it, but then football has given them the ammunition a few times.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
If footballers take a pay cut, will agent fees be reduced? Here’s hoping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've not heard much about whether Bankers and financiers should be taking wage cuts ? Rees-Mogg conspicuously absent for the last few weeks as a case in point.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A bit of both. There is a real resentment of the money footballers earn in a way that doesn't seem to apply to entertainers or bankers etc. This is very much media driven and possibly class driven too? That said when you pay a couple of brasses to come round your house for a quick go don't be surprised if their first thought is to sell the story to the papers.....:ffsparr:

Some players are so painfully stupid they really deserve the stick they get.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s not just the ‘evil’ media and government picking on parts of our football.

We know the club owners (which would include TB) want PL first team squad players to take a significant pay cut, which they’re doggedly resisting. Played out for us all to see, due to people like Jenas and Danny Rose openly talking about it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
A bit of both. There is a real resentment of the money footballers earn in a way that doesn't seem to apply to entertainers or bankers etc. This is very much media driven and possibly class driven too? That said when you pay a couple of brasses to come round your house for a quick go don't be surprised if their first thought is to sell the story to the papers.....:ffsparr:

Some players are so painfully stupid they really deserve the stick they get.

and here is the problem,you go to the theatre and you get a top draw show (most of the times) and you have paid £40 a throw go to any sporting match and who knows what you will get.? How many time have we all said "30k a week and he missed that" ? yet we are back next week,or the other week.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No

What about actors, pop stars, F1 drivers, etc. The list goes on before you even get to the seriously wealthy who could be funding a member of NHS staff for a year or two out of their small change

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have no idea - and no more will you - about how many top earning footballers are doing decent, honourable and worthwhile things for other people with their vast wealth , but overtly and collectively they (and even more so their agents) top footballers do come across as vastly overpaid and very reluctant to let any of it go.
Yes, there are other overpaid greedy b------ds out there, but whataboutery doesn't make the footballers' case any more defensible.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Noticed slight dig at football today in press conference dare I say it at Tottenham with a few players running with Jose in a park.!! It applies to everyone whoever they are but not including the former Scottish C M O

Hence the question. We must all have seen some tw*t not playing by the rules first hand. Are footballers disproportionately dumb/ arrogant/ whatever ... Or when they get seen its news, whereas Joe Public just gets tutted at (or is having a BBQ on the beach and gets a summons).

Personally I don't think they are getting an especially rough ride, just some are being really stupid. But I see it can be argued that they are subject to a witch hunt at the moment. Interested to know what others think.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is getting a fair treatment.

Its the others (the bankers etc - the people that own you) that get away too easily.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
No, probably being disproportionately picked on. However, players, or rather those representing them or those supposed to be guiding them are not helping at all when several weeks down the line it still seems to the biased or ill-informed that they have done precisely eff all to show they care or want to help. I believe most players are good people and do want to help, and that many of them already do or have done a lot of good in their communities, and don't want to make a song and dance about it. But right now they really DO need to make a song and dance about it, they need to be SEEN to be doing something. The most stand out things to have happened so far during this crisis are the twatish antics of a couple of predictably moronic players, and the reputation of football is being increasingly and irreversibly tarnished.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No

What about actors, pop stars, F1 drivers, etc. The list goes on before you even get to the seriously wealthy who could be funding a member of NHS staff for a year or two out of their small change

I get your point. But what separates footballers from these other professions, in my view, is that football has huge sums sloshing around everywhere in the top flight. Even very average footballers, those knocking around in reserve teams or on the fringes of squads and youngsters with nothing but potential, earn life changing amounts. That doesn’t seem to be the case with acting or pop stars or F1. It makes the sport an easy target.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
In music and entertainment you can be average and make it much more easily (family connections etc). You can also dine out on a much longer time period (royalties). Footballers are picked out and the same level of attention isn't applied elsewhere. Never understand it personally. A player has devoted and worked hard to make it to the level of pay that the media always cites (professional footballer always refers to the Prem players as opposed to those earning substationally less in the lower leagues). Their earning potential is far more limited in terms of years where they can take high salaries. They can lose their entire career due to injury.
But they are all scum apparently. When was the last time they compared a nurse's salary to an actor in Eastenders or on any other tv show?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here