Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Please help save High Salvington Mill!

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
Hello friends, if anyone has a few minutes, I'd greatly love your help.

My sister volunteers at High Salvington Mill in Worthing. It's a Grade II listed 270 year old windmill that has been restored over many years to be a fully working again. High Salvington Mill Wikipedia Page

A house next door has put in planning permission for an enormous extension that will stop the wind flow to the windmill and essentially kill it off.

They tried a year ago and it got rejected, as did their appeal. Now a year has passed, they are trying again, albeit with slight amendments.

This was the appeal decision notice and explanations from last year.
This is a letter from the Society for Protection of Ancient Buildings explaining about the windflow issue if anyone is interested.

If anyone would be willing to help by objecting to this, a lot of people would be very grateful indeed. This is the link to the application: Planning Application, you can go to the 'comments' tab and object there.

The closing date for comments is today

Many, many thanks x

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A house next door has plans for an extension? Windmill has about as much relevance today as Shire horses in my view. I wish you well but feel that there may be more pressing issues in the world right now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A house next door has plans for an extension? Windmill has about as much relevance today as Shire horses in my view. I wish you well but feel that there may be more pressing issues in the world right now.

If the neighbours bought the house before the windmill I'd accept that. But moving in and then trying this shit on is ridiculous. A bit like people that move near pubs / nightclubs and complain about noise!

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for putting this up - I only walked past there the other day on my daily stroll. Always try to get up for the annual open day to support the volunteers.

Objection now submitted. Always interesting to see the public objections and supporters. I'm assuming the supporters from Shoreham and Rustington are friends of the house owners.

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
Thanks for putting this up - I only walked past there the other day on my daily stroll. Always try to get up for the annual open day to support the volunteers.

Objection now submitted. Always interesting to see the public objections and supporters. I'm assuming the supporters from Shoreham and Rustington are friends of the house owners.

You've got to assume that the supporters are friends of the owners. There's no other reason.

Thanks for submitting, hugely appreciated :smile:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I assume the house is the one I've boxed in this picture?

Not being funny but it would have to be a bloody huge extension to reduce windflow wouldn't it? As in the size of another house?

Untitled.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I live just down the hill from the windmill and go past it many times a week either walking the dog or running, and I can’t recall ever seeing the windmill operational.

In related news I know the people who live in the house in question - not friends in anyway.

We had to live for a short period of time in a rented house in another part of Worthing, before moving to Findon. We only ever reached smiling/ saying “hello” terms with our neighbours and didn’t think I’d ever see them again when we moved. They bought that house.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The prevailing wind is from that direction and the windmill is generally, but not always, facing that way.

Yup, like I said, it’s not fixed facing that way.

Hence why any extension to that property could well impact any operation of the mill, despite what that picture infers.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
You do realise that the windmill isn’t fixed facing that way?

Ok so the wind is already blocked by the house from the NW if it were to face that way. It would still have to be an exceptionally large extension to block the wind from the SW? And as mentioned by Bozza, I've never seen it working either whenever I've gone past it.

I'm reall ynot trying to be an arse, it's just looking at it on Google maps I can't see how an extension would block the wind unless they literally built another big house?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just because it doesn't work on a daily basis, should a landmark be compromised by a new building?

It's not just this building, it's the others previously built that have gradually restricted wind-flow, and this will be a further 'nail in the coffin', in terms of functionality.

The windmill is used and is run by volunteers, open in the summer for tours, and you can purchase flour.

I am surprised NSC-ers are having so much difficulty with this.......

Objection raised.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yup, like I said, it’s not fixed facing that way.

Hence why any extension to that property could well impact any operation of the mill, despite what that picture infers.

Quite - the windmill is rotated depending on the direction of the wind.

It might be worth a few NSCers actually visiting, and going on one of the tours (every other Sunday in the summer from 2pm), to widen their knowledge base.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Wiki page says it's "in full working order" not actually a working mill. Which is correct ? If the former then I would have an issue with the house extension - if the latter then PP should be approved ( subject to other considerations ). Sounds a bit like Blatchington Mill Windmill - it's in working order and on open days it grinds wheat but it's not a going concern.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
I grew up at High Salvington in the 60's and 70's. The windmill was derelict then and was our (the local kids) hideout and adventure playground. I'm amazed none of us were badly hurt. It was in a right state and close to falling down. To see it restored over the years, functional and working is something quite special in this day and age. Petition signed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sadly only just seen this so can't object. I know the windmill well and funnily enough the house as well as looked round it when it was up for sale a few years ago. Didn't buy it for lots of reasons but living next to the mill was definitely an attraction. It's a local landmark and should be preserved as best it can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here