Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] knob or nob?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Rather than besmirch a sensitive thread, I thought this deserved it's own. Nob or Knob!?

I certainly am, in real life I'm a knob.

I did have a far too long drunken discussion about whether to call someone this is knob or nob. If in real life you are the noun 'knob' then surely that is a noun for 'a rounded lump or ball' (so it could be the case you did mean that...). Or nob, a person of wealth or high social position. Of course for many of us, calling someone a nob, is like calling them a cock, a euphemism for the penis, so is it nob or knob??

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Rather than besmirch a sensitive thread, I thought this deserved it's own. Nob or Knob!?

I did have a far too long drunken discussion about whether to call someone this is knob or nob. If in real life you are the noun 'knob' then surely that is a noun for 'a rounded lump or ball' (so it could be the case you did mean that...). Or nob, a person of wealth or high social position. Of course for many of us, calling someone a nob, is like calling them a cock, a euphemism for the penis, so is it nob or knob??

in his case its knob on a bike

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Without doubt a door "knob" is correct but if insulting someone you have a choice of either "nob" or "Palace fan"

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Without doubt a door "knob" is correct but if insulting someone you have a choice of either "nob" or "Palace fan"

Trouble is, formally nob definition is:

Word forms: plural nobs
countable noun [usually plural]
If you refer to a group of people as the nobs, you mean they are rich or come from a much higher social class than you do.
[British, informal, old-fashioned]
...the nobs who live in the Big House.
Synonyms: aristocrat, fat cat [slang], toff [British, slang], bigwig [informal]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it's nob on the end of a french stick or similar.

DytmbqkXgAAXXBg.jpg

Hence me asking Mrs Wz yesterday if she wanted a cheesey nob, much to my daughter's amusement :whistle:

*edit* Oh my goodness, that was a big one

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Christ with friends like you...

One comedy quip as an attempt to lighten the mood in a tense situation, is now gonna become a t'internet pile on!!!

My fan club will be upping their post count quicker than a Spurs accountant can hide money.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

One comedy quip as an attempt to lighten the mood in a tense situation, is now gonna become a t'internet pile on!!!

My fan club will be upping their post count quicker than a Spurs accountant can hide money.

Well, some might say I'm a nob for posting it, so solidarity brother nob, solidarity. :hilton:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Trouble is, formally nob definition is:

Word forms: plural nobs
countable noun [usually plural]
If you refer to a group of people as the nobs, you mean they are rich or come from a much higher social class than you do.
[British, informal, old-fashioned]
...the nobs who live in the Big House.
Synonyms: aristocrat, fat cat [slang], toff [British, slang], bigwig [informal]

The big houses on Nob Hill.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I prefer, and regularly use, 'nobber'. I must confess I stole it from [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION].

I must also confess that [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION]'s post, above, made me titter. My bad :lolol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Alas you're all wrong, the end of the piece of bread is the nobby, not nob or noggin, nobby.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Im fine with being called both.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I thought is was a HEEL ??

No, sorry, you've been misinformed for years, your school, the teachers, your family and friends have all let you down, it's a nobby!

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Depends what sort of noggin you want. According to Chambers Dictionary a noggin is

a small mug or wooden cup

its contents

a measure of about a gill

a drink (of beer,spirits,etc)

the head

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Knob or, more usefully, knobhead.

i.e. "You sir are a complete and utter KNOBHEAD".

Nob (as mentioned) is surely more to do with poshos "Hob nobbing" etc. Not slang for someone who is a COCK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here