Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] One Man, Two Guvnors

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I quite like James Corden and was looking forward to this but had to switch off after about 30mins. Totally unfunny IMHO, didn't even smile let alone laugh and wondered what all the fuss was about. Still, everyone to their own of course. just not for me.
:shrug:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Watched for 30 minutes waiting for it to be funny, it wasn’t. To me it was like looking at an amdram performance. Totally over the top. Lots of people have liked it though. I just don’t get the hype.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Set in 1960's Brighton, One Man Two Guvnors is available free to watch until the end of week on the National Theater YouTube channel. It stars James Cordon and was a decent watch IMO, Details below

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/nt-at-home-one-man-two-guvnors

Thank you Surrey Jim. Me and Mrs Earle did all our jobs early today, Skyped a game of Snakes and Ladders with the 5 year old Grandson, then settled in together with cups of tea to watch this just before 4pm, just in time I hear you say. I thought it took 10 or 15 minutes to hit it's stride and I made sure I laughed extra loudly at any funny bits to make sure Mrs Earle stayed engaged with it, but it was worth the effort. It was a terrific, talented, ensemble cast and we both thoroughly enjoyed the show from start to finish, musical interludes and all. Something of a tour de force performance from Corden, but so many funny performances, particularly the waiter who looked like Christopher Lloyd as Doc Brown from Back to the Future, but also the guy who played the whole show like Rik Mayall's Flashart in Blackadder. I'm not naturally drawn to the talents of James Corden, but his was a superb all round performance of acting comedy with slapstick, and his argument with himself as he knocked himself about before rolling across the stage and hitting himself with a dustbin lid was comic genius. One of several laugh out loud moments which had me wiping a tear from my eye. To those of you who switched off after 30 minutes, maybe it just wasn't for you. But it's a shame you didn't stick with it as it's been one of the best bits of my week. The theatres are struggling at the moment and I'll be throwing a few pounds the way of The National Theatre later tonight as a gesture of support and appreciation.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I, too, watched it this evening. I think they simply changed it to private at 7pm, because I started just after 4.30, meaning it would run until after 7, and it didn't stop dead on 7.

I enjoyed it. I don't have anything against James Corden. I don't think he's as strong a singer as the makers of Into the Woods must have thought when they gave him that part. It took me a while to get into the show, so I understand people switching off. I stuck with it and by the end was glad I stuck with it. It did take me into the second half to work out where I knew Alan from (BT adverts).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I, too, watched it this evening. I think they simply changed it to private at 7pm, because I started just after 4.30, meaning it would run until after 7, and it didn't stop dead on 7.

I enjoyed it. I don't have anything against James Corden. I don't think he's as strong a singer as the makers of Into the Woods must have thought when they gave him that part. It took me a while to get into the show, so I understand people switching off. I stuck with it and by the end was glad I stuck with it. It did take me into the second half to work out where I knew Alan from (BT adverts).

Mrs Earle got Alan from BT ad straight away - he was really funny too. I got it from Woolworths!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here