Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"sent someone to McDonald's with a check for $3.4 million to get masks"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's almost unbelievable, but I guess it's broadly what is happening on a global scale with numerous governments all scrambling to try and buy the same scarce resources...

Illinois official: We should not have to "compete with our own allies" for supplies

Illinois state officials are frustrated with the federal government's response and states' ability to get much needed supplies in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Illinois State Comptroller Susana Mendoza said she sent someone from her staff to a McDonald's with a check for $3.4 million to pay a middle man to get masks twice.

"This is what we resorted to as a state. It feels like you're almost doing a sketchy drug deal on the road, when in fact you're trying to save people's lives," Mendoza told Anderson Cooper.

She said states should not have to compete with other states for supplies. The absence of coherent guidelines from the White House has created a battle among states and hospitals, which have been hooked into bidding wars over key provisions to combat the pandemic.​

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Obviously everywhere is in pretty uncharted territory at this point, but the extent to which the US govt has ****ed this is insanity. California looking to set up a collective of states to work together to bid on medical supplies to try and avoid this - basically a 'United' States, because the federal government is completely absent at best, and actively making the situation worse, at worst.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Obviously everywhere is in pretty uncharted territory at this point, but the extent to which the US govt has ****ed this is insanity. California looking to set up a collective of states to work together to bid on medical supplies to try and avoid this - basically a 'United' States, because the federal government is completely absent at best, and actively making the situation worse, at worst.

I’ve always thought the autonomy afforded to states has been broadly positive.

It has meant that California (where I think you are based) has been able to plough a rather solitary furrow as a place where good things happens despite of the federal government, not because of them.

But at this unprecedented time states are clearly pitted against neighbouring states in trying to procure scarce medical equipment but in a way that is probably not that different to the overall country v country picture.

That’s not to underplay the role of Trump’s administration, however. The man is clearly an utter ****, and an incredibly ineffective one at that.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Yeah I think that's nailed it pretty much - honestly, we're in a pretty good spot because California (where we are indeed now based) has more financial muscle and pretty much any other resource, than the vast majority of other states. But you've got some rural states with very low population, fairly homogeneous industry and running at a financial deficit that are going to get stung pretty badly. I think if it had always been run this way it wouldn't be a problem, but with the federal government stepping in at times like this and leading things, for them now to be so noticeably absent really has left people scrambling.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
How come the McDonald's was open?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

:lolol:

Fast food/restaurants in general can remain open here with takeaway only - lots have chosen to close but our local coffee shop is open you just have to order/pay on the app and they put it on a table outside for you

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Wouldn't happen in Texas :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That’s not to underplay the role of Trump’s administration, however. The man is clearly an utter ****, and an incredibly ineffective one at that.
I wish I could agree, but sadly I think Trump is quite effective at being a ****. I'm confident his actions will have caused the death of people in the US.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What about the suppliers of these products that are seemingly encouraging bidding wars for products,ie profiteering. Don't you just love the American Dream!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here