Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Boring TECH question about monitors and shit

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Hmm. Trouble is, its all USB-C connectors - I only have a couple of standard USB ports on this machine. Fishing around Ama Uzon I'm not seeing standard USB to HDMI ???

My misses only has USB C on her laptop, she uses a HooToo USB hub that has an HDMI port on it.

About 6 months ago I picked up a cheep Acer screen and a Duronic screen stand for about £120. That's been brilliant for my neck and eyes which were struggling with one or two days at home a week.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Computer
Users
Not
Tech
Savvy

Without turning this into an acronym-y type thread, one of my favourites is the ID10T Error.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
PEBKAC

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair

Breaks my golden rule of acronyms because the And shouldn’t be in the letters but it has a nice ring to it.
[MENTION=21064]easy[/MENTION]10 deffo not suggesting this applies to you btw...

£18 for a cable that costs less than £3 to make is scandalous!

Problem
Exists
Beside
Keyboard,
Also
Chair

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Right, I don't want to start my own thread so will hijack this one.

I use a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop and have just bought a Lenovo USB-C dock to go with it. The laptop has a HDMI port (as does the monitor) and the picture is perfect using this. The dock has two DisplayPorts (DP), and therefore I have bough a DP to HDMI cable as the monitor only accepts HDMI.

The issue: using the DP to HDMI cable via the dock slightly alters the colours and it's almost impossible to distinguish between white and light greys, which a huge number of programs/websites seem to use.It's really annoying since there are lots of white input boxes with light grey borders and this gives the effect the whole screen is an input box!

Anyone else come across this? Is there a fix?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My misses only has USB C on her laptop, she uses a HooToo USB hub that has an HDMI port on it.

About 6 months ago I picked up a cheep Acer screen and a Duronic screen stand for about £120. That's been brilliant for my neck and eyes which were struggling with one or two days at home a week.

That'll be no use to me, I only have standard USB ports on this thing. Surprising really, its not an ancient machine, I only bought it last year. Didn't envisage WFH and needing these type of connections though. The absence of a HDMI port is a particular irritant now. I suppose they just think you can "cast" everything.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That'll be no use to me, I only have standard USB ports on this thing. Surprising really, its not an ancient machine, I only bought it last year. Didn't envisage WFH and needing these type of connections though. The absence of a HDMI port is a particular irritant now. I suppose they just think you can "cast" everything.

I've just realised I completely misunderstood your post that I quoted, hence my useless answer. Sorry! :facepalm:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So have you sorted it? There are USB to USB C adapters you can buy, then a multiport hub with HDMI, memory card slots, USB and USB C ports. Sorry if this has already been suggested.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So have you sorted it? There are USB to USB C adapters you can buy, then a multiport hub with HDMI, memory card slots, USB and USB C ports. Sorry if this has already been suggested.

Not yet, no. I did wonder about plugging adapters into adapters - I'd need USB to USB C, then USB C to HDMI. What a ballache, I could end up shelling out a fair wedge on all that (and still not being ENTIRELY sure it'd work). I'm still mulling. Maybe I'll go in one day next week and make a raid on the IT dept, see what I can dig out.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not yet, no. I did wonder about plugging adapters into adapters - I'd need USB to USB C, then USB C to HDMI. What a ballache, I could end up shelling out a fair wedge on all that (and still not being ENTIRELY sure it'd work). I'm still mulling. Maybe I'll go in one day next week and make a raid on the IT dept, see what I can dig out.

I'm pretty sure you can download an HDMI port from the cloud on a Chromebook.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm no techy, but I'm pretty sure USB-C is essentially the same protocols, so that an adapter should work fine. If it was an older machine it might be the bus speed that slows it all down, but essentially the data should still transfer fine. If your laptop is quite new, then the bus speed should be fine. Even just to have, it might be useful for future connections to the laptop.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm no techy, but I'm pretty sure USB-C is essentially the same protocols, so that an adapter should work fine. If it was an older machine it might be the bus speed that slows it all down, but essentially the data should still transfer fine. If your laptop is quite new, then the bus speed should be fine. Even just to have, it might be useful for future connections to the laptop.

Its only just over a year old, so speed shouldn't be an issue. I'll have another squizz over the weekend, when I can be arsed. Cheers chap.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Went and nicked a monitor from work on Saturday, and got a nifty USB-C to HDMI adapter. Linked it all up, it all connected, my laptop screen was on the monitor as extra independent desktop space, lovely.

Signed into the remote system to connect to the work server and systems. Went to drag an app from my laptop screen across to my new monitor screen - would it migrate ? Would it buffalo. The mouse pointer will move between screens, and stuff on my home laptop will travel across. But nothing on my works remote will transfer - it just gets "stuck" halfway over, and stays stubbornly on my laptop screen. So thats about as much use as tits on a nun.

*sigh*

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Went and nicked a monitor from work on Saturday, and got a nifty USB-C to HDMI adapter. Linked it all up, it all connected, my laptop screen was on the monitor as extra independent desktop space, lovely.

Signed into the remote system to connect to the work server and systems. Went to drag an app from my laptop screen across to my new monitor screen - would it migrate ? Would it buffalo. The mouse pointer will move between screens, and stuff on my home laptop will travel across. But nothing on my works remote will transfer - it just gets "stuck" halfway over, and stays stubbornly on my laptop screen. So thats about as much use as tits on a nun.

*sigh*
Go into display settings and make sure "Extend these Displays" is selected. Also check that you have the displays the correct way round (check dragging off both sides), if you try to drag off to the right of the right side display the mouse will stop.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

*sigh*

Pray for Alfiesgrandad

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Go into display settings and make sure "Extend these Displays" is selected. Also check that you have the displays the correct way round (check dragging off both sides), if you try to drag off to the right of the right side display the mouse will stop.

Yep, done both of those. The annoying thing is that the mouse pointer will travel across to the other screen - it just won't take anything with it when I try to drag something across. Which defeats the whole point really. I can only think its the works remote access system its not recognising, as the apps on my Chromebook will travel across.

Pray for Alfiesgrandad

:lolol:

I am feeling like AG, BG's hapless replacement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here