Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Boring TECH question about monitors and shit

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At the risk of being a bit BG (god rest the dear old fellas soul), I wonder if anyone can answer me this.

I'm WFH at the moment on a Chromebook laptop, which is do-able, but a bit of a chore not having 2 monitor screens like I do at work. I'd like to connect it to another monitor to achieve the dual-screens I usually have.

There's no HDMI connector on the Chromebook, I just have two USB ports. However, I can get a USB to HDMI cable for about £18, which should enable me to connect the laptop to the monitor. My question is - would this WORK insofar as having 2 independent screens to show the apps etc on, with the mouse moving between them ? Or would the monitor simply just mirror whatever is on the laptop screen ?

I put this unto thee...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
PICNIC

Problem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer.

:lolol: - Stat approves of that acronym.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I see your PICNIC and raise you an RTFM, or even LMGTFY.

Having had a quick look, yes, it is possible. Just need the correct adapter cable and then a setting somewhere on the chromebook.

Cheers chap. I knew it'd be worth braving all the smart-arses to get a reply :D

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can confirm this works. I have a Chromebook and have hooked up to my TV as a second screen with a USB to HDMI adapter.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At the risk of being a bit BG (god rest the dear old fellas soul), I wonder if anyone can answer me this.

I'm WFH at the moment on a Chromebook laptop, which is do-able, but a bit of a chore not having 2 monitor screens like I do at work. I'd like to connect it to another monitor to achieve the dual-screens I usually have.

There's no HDMI connector on the Chromebook, I just have two USB ports. However, I can get a USB to HDMI cable for about £18, which should enable me to connect the laptop to the monitor. My question is - would this WORK insofar as having 2 independent screens to show the apps etc on, with the mouse moving between them ? Or would the monitor simply just mirror whatever is on the laptop screen ?

I put this unto thee...

Looks like it from this article.....

http://www.linuxmadesimple.info/2019/08/usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter-for-chromebooks.html

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

I put this unto thee...

The advice directly from Google at https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1060909?hl=en-GB indicates that you can move items from one screen to the other (i.e. independent screens, not just mirroring from the chromebook to the larger / external screen).
Worth checking with your manufacturer first, I suggest...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I particularly like this kind of thread at the mo

Not just because old Droopy and Mouldy won't post their shite on it, I presume? Although for me that's sufficient - it means I don't have to scroll past a brown tide of blocked posts to read stuff.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Hmm. Trouble is, its all USB-C connectors - I only have a couple of standard USB ports on this machine. Fishing around Amazon I'm not seeing standard USB to HDMI ???

Before you know it you'll be contemplating a marathon bus journey half way across Sussex to buy two steaks and a pound of sausages.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Before you know it you'll be contemplating a marathon bus journey half way across Sussex to buy two steaks and a pound of sausages.

:lolol:

I wouldn't rule anything out at the moment. In these weird times, that actually sounds moderately appealing.

Its acshully proving oddly tricky to source a standard USB to HDMI connector that I'm confident will do the trick, I'd have thought there were loads knocking about, but seemingly not. I'm loathe to waste a load on a cable that turns out not to be compatible. Thinking of doing a RAID at the office to have a dig around and see what I can find in the IT room...

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
PICNIC

Problem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer.

:lolol: - Stat approves of that acronym.

PEBKAC

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair

Breaks my golden rule of acronyms because the And shouldn’t be in the letters but it has a nice ring to it.
[MENTION=21064]easy[/MENTION]10 deffo not suggesting this applies to you btw...

£18 for a cable that costs less than £3 to make is scandalous!

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
PEBKAC

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair

Breaks my golden rule of acronyms because the And shouldn’t be in the letters but it has a nice ring to it.
[MENTION=21064]easy[/MENTION]10 deffo not suggesting this applies to you btw...

£18 for a cable that costs less than £3 to make is scandalous!

Computer
Users
Not
Tech
Savvy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here