Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite country in the world and why

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Two countries that I don't think have been mentioned that I'd like to lob into the pot...

Fiji, yes lots of islands but the nice ones are paradisiacal and the native Fijians are the warmest and most sincere that I've ever met...

And I know I'll get flamed for this - Scotland - beautiful country with fabulous tradition and pride, high civic standards, good people (I find), clan system versus class system down here, love the place.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I loved Chicago but the USA is the only country I have been to that I felt a little bit threatened by going out in certain parts on an evening. And normally not much phases me when I travel.

I know what you're saying. I've been to some great cities all over the US (along with LA) as well as a couple of road trips through some beautiful landscapes. I never feel entirely comfortable there though.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not China

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Two countries that I don't think have been mentioned that I'd like to lob into the pot...

Fiji, yes lots of islands but the nice ones are paradisiacal and the native Fijians are the warmest and most sincere that I've ever met...

And I know I'll get flamed for this - Scotland - beautiful country with fabulous tradition and pride, high civic standards, good people (I find), clan system versus class system down here, love the place.

I am quite proud to be Scottish and Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in the World; however the Religious Bigotry in relation to the Protestant Catholic divide amongst the population let's it down massively.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Choice between south of France or Southern California. Also massively impressed with Tel Aviv , completely different to what I expected. Laid back , very tolerant like Brighton, vibrant & lovely beaches .

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The place I'd most like to go back to: New Zealand – spent four weeks touring in a camper back in 2002 and it was wonderful. The people, the scenery, the way of life, the relative peace and quiet in pretty much everywhere outside Auckland. Absolutely loved it.

The place I could live in: Italy. For the wine, the food, the history, the cities (mostly) and the ability to watch drama unfold seemingly out of nothing with much waving of arms. I agree about the business bit though – very difficult to shove into action, in my experience.

The place I'd love to visit: Japan. The place just fascinates me – always has. The culture, the history, the food, the cars, the people – everything. The two-part series from Sue (from Mel and Sue) was brilliant. Must go one day.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
This. 100%

I love Greece - I've visited 24 islands plus several different parts of the mainland too.

South west Crete is my favourite - I could easily spend my entire summers there. I hope to return soon.

My Greek, despite having taken lessons, is still terrible - I believe the only way I will become fluent would be to live there for a reasonable period of time.

Lived in Greece for several years - both my boys have Greek names - returning when the eldest was 8. My wife is fluent in both spoken and written Greek, whereas I’m pretty illiterate. Enjoyed it but Greece certainly wouldn’t be my favourite country by any means, the corruption was endemic and relentless.

My choice would be France, love the place and the people.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I love Scotland, many holidays and longer stays spent visiting most parts. Very friendly folk.

But it’s class system is alive and well. Monied, educated and privileged Farquharson’s leading lives that could be a million miles away from working and lower middle class folk across the Central Belt.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Armenia.

It’s a beautiful place with some lovely architecture. It has a wonderful traditional culture too, consisting of music, dance, literature, and puppetry, as well as interesting cuisine.

Oh, and nice-looking birds.

I’ll tell my Armenian sister in law this, it’ll make her smile :thumbsup:

Their son is called Dvin, named after the capital of medieval Armenia.

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
But it’s class system is alive and well. Monied, educated and privileged Farquharson’s leading lives that could be a million miles away from working and lower middle class folk across the Central Belt.

My understanding of Scotland's history is that (much of?) what classism prevails there was an unwelcome product from south of the border after various rounds of clearings. My understanding of clans is that the laird of the clan would be comfortable communing with ordinary clansfolk ( and vice versa) was that their clan identity united them, rather than class - or money - dividing them. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
They do indeed, which is amusing when it comes from a nation whose capital inhabitants can count itself among the rudest in the world. Whilst we're at it, the Dutch also have a reputation for being tight-arses. Still, I quite like them and think the country is fabulous (although the flat scenery is unspectacular until you go further north towards Friesland.

Ive found all those things you both said as true. I think there’re great. In business my experience has been really good, it’s straightforward, you know where you are.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I loved Chicago but the USA is the only country I have been to that I felt a little bit threatened by going out in certain parts on an evening. And normally not much phases me when I travel.

Funny that you should mention Chicago and threatened. As a kid, my parents took us round the entire NE one August. A guy was about to mug us for my Dad’s camera bag, as we sat one day on the Lake Michigan shoreline by Chicago’s CBD, but my Dad saved the day at the last minute.

The only thing for me is that gun ownership is now so widespread, that many people would be inclined to settle any dispute or rage, with their automatic weapon. I would imagine it’s a mixed picture, states such as Connecticut and Rhode Island very safe.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I like the Dutch world view. Saw a printed poster in a shoe shop window in The Hague. 'If your shoes look shit, you look shit'. To the point :lolol:

Have seen similar here, but not actually printed..

Attachments

• 10472803_10204499648266273_7363829731830455980_o.jpg
    10472803_10204499648266273_7363829731830455980_o.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 56393159_126071225219934_62114332430827520_n.jpg
    56393159_126071225219934_62114332430827520_n.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 106

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My understanding of Scotland's history is that (much of?) what classism prevails there was an unwelcome product from south of the border after various rounds of clearings. My understanding of clans is that the laird of the clan would be comfortable communing with ordinary clansfolk ( and vice versa) was that their clan identity united them, rather than class - or money - dividing them. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think you’re right about their current class system, it’s an extension of the English and Welsh system, but on steroids. Colleagues and friends of mine went to public school in Scotland with the Windsor boys! They describe the Scottish toffs who were mates of the Royals, as so stuck up their own arses, and not joking ... with the stereotypical posh Scot accent.

At 1:36:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Canada, specifically BC. Why? I lived in Vancouver for 4 years and loved it. Get the bus after work from UBC and go night skiing. Cuisine, weather, the Island....the lakes....there is one that has 6 feet of warm freshwater on top of deep cold saltwater, a very strange place to swim. I could go on, but I might never stop...

Never been there but having dealt with customers from all over the world, I have to say Canadians were the rudest.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Lived in Greece for several years - both my boys have Greek names - returning when the eldest was 8. My wife is fluent in both spoken and written Greek, whereas I’m pretty illiterate. Enjoyed it but Greece certainly wouldn’t be my favourite country by any means, the corruption was endemic and relentless.

My choice would be France, love the place and the people.

I know what you mean, but it's part of their way of life and it's not on the same scale as say corruption in some African countries.
I said many years ago that the Euro would ruin Greece, it was no surprise to me when it collapsed.
The Greeks used to carry millions of Drachma in huge wads, they deal in cash whenever possible, they don't like paying tax and the government handed them a lot of loopholes to not pay tax, like not finishing off the top of a house.
Stuff in Greece used to be nice and cheap but when I go now I almost cry at the price you are charged for Greek basics like Ouzo, Raki and Greek wine.
The Euro and the fact that Greece has to be more accountable for their economy, tax and money has quashed a whole way of life.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gosh this is hard. I've lived in Japan, Australia and Taiwan and spent a lot of time in India with work. I love travelling to India on and off but couldn't live there, but I'd go back to the other three tomorrow.

Dad lives in France and Mum and her second husband have a holiday home there. Again both are idyllic but have also given me an insight into day to day French life that makes me think I'd want to be much better at the language and culture before I considered living there. We think we know the French but we don't really. Cracking food and wine, obviously. Paris though? Full of dogshit and tourists.

My two most recent favourite work trips were to Cyprus (we were taken around Nicosia by our local partners. The food. MY GOD. Cypriots don't seem to ever stop eating and it's all great stuff) and Stockholm. We booked to go to Cyprus as a family in a couple of weeks on the back of that first trip (obviously not going to happen) and I'd say it was my favourite "one off" work trip ever. I'd like to see a lot more of Sweden too. Swedes seemed to be like Germans with a British sense of humour and it was genuinely interesting. I like that people in offices there all eat lunch together.

But if I have to pick one favourite it's Japan. Despite an interesting attitude to us Gaijin, small, cramped, expensive apartments and rammed out public transport it is the most fascinating place on the planet. Unbelievable food, culture and technology, relatively safe whilst still pushing your boundaries if you are a foreigner and very clued up with regards to music and fashion. Hopefully they still do beers in vending machines on street corners too? And hot coffees? And cheap fags? I'll probably pass on the used pants though.....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Canada, specifically BC. Why? I lived in Vancouver for 4 years and loved it. Get the bus after work from UBC and go night skiing. Cuisine, weather, the Island....the lakes....there is one that has 6 feet of warm freshwater on top of deep cold saltwater, a very strange place to swim. I could go on, but I might never stop...

We were supposed to be returning to Vancouver in June after a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer, but they have postponed the start of their season until 1st July (at least) so holiday cancelled.
On a previous visit to Vancouver 15 years ago we really enjoyed it, and were looking forward to seeing the changes since that visit.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Vietnam. It's probably the country which I've been most blown away by. Spectacular scenery, crazy cities, really friendly people and your Dong goes a long way... I'm not sure I could ever actually live there as it's probably a bit too far outside my comfort zone but I'd visit again in a heartbeat.

I would have said New Zealand a few years ago but some of my Canadian friends have rightly pointed out I can see the same kind of scenery in Western Canada. Note to self: see more of Western Canada.

Vietnam is crazy. Remember getting an overnight train from Hue to Hanoi, had opposite top bunks from my gf. Early on in the journey looked down and the guys below where looking at their machine gun in a suitcase. It was mid 90s though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here