Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite country in the world and why

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Well,

What's everyone's favourite place and why, not including our sceptred Isle of course.

For me a tough call between Italy/Spain in Europe and Uzbekistan further afield.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Denmark.

Just really love how they do life. We have some Danish friends who used to live in Brighton and now live in Aarhus, which is like a Danish Brighton. Beautiful people, beautiful scenery. Visited 4 times already (Aarhus and Copenhagen, and a trip up to Skagen at the northern point of Denmark) and aiming to do many more trips over the years.

Also, whilst I have attempted some Danish - pronunciation is ruddy hard - they almost to a person speak English superbly.

I also love and miss Spain and it's people. Hoping to be there again in coming years.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
As per the thread title....why?

:facepalm:

Italy... been all over and so many great places, cities, resorts, festivals, food, likewise Spain.

Uzbekistan. I like Islamic architecture and some of the cities are living museums, plus i wasn't expecting a great deal other than this, so add in cheap as chips, great people, food and loads of vodka, and its a winning combination.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My favourite country is Greece, but it has a few failings.
Nowhere is perfect but for me Italy is as close as it gets.
History, architecture, art, music, style, great food and wine, weather, beaches, passion, great looking women, mountains, lakes and lots more.
But I always have a yearning to return to Greece, put me in a beach side taverna with peace and quiet, eating and drinking and meeting other people and a great Greek owner and I am extremely happy.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
France for me, love the scenery, the food, the wine and am a sucker for a female French accent! been many times and prefer Normandy/Picardy areas. The people are fine too if you make the efffort to fit in with them and their ways,I speak basic French which always goes a long way and is always appreciated.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mexico.

The beaches, the food, the climate, the wildlife, the people, no russians. Its idyllic.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Peru - Got a bit of everything. Nice coast line, some desert, The Andes Mountains and lots of rain forest.

Loads of interesting historical sites, nice people and cheap.

Food is not up to much.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Peru - Got a bit of everything. Nice coast line, some desert, The Andes Mountains and lots of rain forest.

Loads of interesting historical sites, nice people and cheap.

Food is not up to much.

Yeah, but what about the Pisco. On a serious note, I've just been ploughing through the Lonely planet guide to Peru as hope to visit there along with Bolivia when all this CV dies down. Got alot of time on my hands and it's one of the cheaper places in South America

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Italy gets my vote, bloody love that place.

the women are beautiful, stylish etc

and so many places to visit, it has it all for me.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I always think the Dutch have got most things right - I really wouldn't mind being Dutch. They are like us, only a bit more wealthy, probably from being a bit more outward looking and a bit less ignorant.

Mind you, there's not much wrong with most of the Nordic nations either, especially Denmark.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Armenia.

It’s a beautiful place with some lovely architecture. It has a wonderful traditional culture too, consisting of music, dance, literature, and puppetry, as well as interesting cuisine.

Oh, and nice-looking birds.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I always think the Dutch have got most things right - I really wouldn't mind being Dutch. They are like us, only a bit more wealthy, probably from being a bit more outward looking and a bit less ignorant.

The French call them the Americans of Europe, finding them brash, rude, mouthy, vulgar, and condescending. No idea if that’s fair to either the USA or the Netherlands, but that’s what they say.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
My favourite country is Greece, but it has a few failings.

But I always have a yearning to return to Greece, put me in a beach side taverna with peace and quiet, eating and drinking and meeting other people and a great Greek owner and I am extremely happy.

This. 100%

I love Greece - I've visited 24 islands plus several different parts of the mainland too.

South west Crete is my favourite - I could easily spend my entire summers there. I hope to return soon.

My Greek, despite having taken lessons, is still terrible - I believe the only way I will become fluent would be to live there for a reasonable period of time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Singapore, perfect other than the queue to get into Raffles and the cost of a Singapore Sling in their Long Bar.

Far better to get a meal and a Sling over the road for less than Raffles charge just for the Sling.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mexico.

The beaches, the food, the climate, the wildlife, the people, no russians. Its idyllic.

Ditto, cracking place for a well earned do nothing holiday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here