Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Articles on CV

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm taking Vit D supplements because of Covid-19 and fully believe that makes a difference - whether by the biochemical effect on the immune system, or by the placebo effect of that belief.
I suspect it doesn't protect you from getting infected, but it is really important for recovery. As you say it can't hurt and my view carries no medical weight whatsoever.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What happens next ?

I think it is relatively easy to understand why you need a viable load of the virus to get infected. Just think about pregnancy versus a low sperm count, receiving a high dose obviously increases the chances, but that is where the analogy ends.

If this virus was totally unstoppable, it wouldn't matter if you got a little bit infected or a big bit infected, as the infection replicated it would just take slightly longer to take effect, when starting from a smaller base. We know this isn't true, yet the evidence is suggesting that receiving a higher does increases your chances not just of getting infected but also your chances of getting hit badly. What is that all about?

It looks like to me there are two groups here. An individual can be in one, none or both. Good host, someone who is especially good at letting the virus replicate and is therefore particularly good at spreading the virus. Weak defence, someone who is prone to getting seriously ill and more likely to end up in hospital and or die.

What are you supposed to do if you are old, fat, male, diabetic, black? or have one of a whole host of other high risk factors> I suspect that there is a cocktail of low risk drugs that won't stop you getting infected, but will reduce your chances of getting seriously ill. It looks like to me that Vitamin D supplements, are going to be central to this, but it may need a few more things as well, all of which is way beyond my basic understanding of chemistry and biology.

I think I'll reply as a general post....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have read some papers and posted a recent summary study on the most favoured treatments (favoured by the eternally optimistic). The most compelling of all data is from the ONS (pasted below) that shows that risk of death from Covid is exquisitely related to age. Eyeball the yellow histogram and divide it by the blue histogram on the right to get the proportion of covid death per total number of people in that age group and you see that death risk goes through the roof after age 65. If we could treat age this would have the biggest effect on death risk. Failing that one assumes that staying fit and healthy in general terms offers survival benefit. Eat well, sleep well. And if over 60, try to isolate till we get a vaccine. That's the stark reality. For those younger the risk of death is so low it is little wonder people feel they should be allowed to 'get on with it'.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...eredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/latest

deaths.PNG

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have read some papers and posted a recent summary study on the most favoured treatments (favoured by the eternally optimistic). The most compelling of all data is from the ONS (pasted below) that shows that risk of death from Covid is exquisitely related to age. Eyeball the yellow histogram and divide it by the blue histogram on the right to get the proportion of covid death per total number of people in that age group and you see that death risk goes through the roof after age 65. If we could treat age this would have the biggest effect on death risk. Failing that one assumes that staying fit and healthy in general terms offers survival benefit. Eat well, sleep well. And if over 60, try to isolate till we get a vaccine. That's the stark reality. For those younger the risk of death is so low it is little wonder people feel they should be allowed to 'get on with it'.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...eredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/latest

View attachment 124015

Thanks, interesting, and now I know that I'm in the most numerous age group.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not an article but a fascinating series of tweets that effectively amounts to a short article.

T Cells look more important than antibodies, as they stick around longer term, but are harder to spot. Definitely worth reading the entire tweet thread.

Our best chance of beating the virus as quickly as possible is firstly by understanding it, and the science has evolved so much in the last few months, and will continue to.

[TWEET]1277885591376535553[/TWEET]

Yoda

English & European
Two metres or one: what is the evidence for physical distancing in covid-19?

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3223

Really like this one and will post the graphic on the main thread, as it works well as a stand alone.

Well, if this study passes the peer review as well, then we have two peer reviewed studies slightly contradicting themselves concerning singing as this suggest's it's more to do with the volume someone is singing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53853961

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here