Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Articles on CV

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-path-speci-idUSKBN21P1VF

This is eye opening. Quite critical on the government's over reliance on a small number of scientists.

Really is an excellent well balanced but ultimately shocking account of what’s happened over the last three months within government and the UK science community. Definitely well worth investing 15 minutes of your time to read.

Not sure now or ever is the time for a blame game per se over this but what I do know from my own past is that scientific communities always argue tit for tat about the relative merits of their own studies but it does seem a tad short sighted of the Imperial study to blindly accept the validity of the Chinese data.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/15/uk-government-coronavirus-science-who-advice

In mid-February a colleague mentioned that for the first time in his life he was more concerned than his mother, who had been relatively blase about the risks of Covid-19. It felt odd for him to be telling her to take care. We are both professors in a department of infectious disease epidemiology, and we were worried.

Two months on, that anxiety has not gone, although it’s also been joined by a sense of sadness. It’s now clear that so many people have died, and so many more are desperately ill, simply because our politicians refused to listen to and act on advice. Scientists like us said lock down earlier; we said test, trace, isolate. But they decided they knew better.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This one casts scepticism on both the extent of those that have (had) it (and therefore I recommend [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] has a look) and what herd immunity will look like:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/16/number-coronavirus-pandemic

It's worth also reading Hanage's previous contribution, written 8 days before our lockdown:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...st-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19

I’m not making any assumptions at all on how many have had it.

All I do is look at and pass on new evidence as it is gathered. And majority of it would point to being more optimistic than that article, I would suggest. I also think his maths are a bit odd and clunky in how he extrapolates to 1 million. I think 1 million would be a fairly low estimate, given the evidence that appears to be coming from other countries currently.

Also, it’s so moveable isn’t it? Articles date so quickly at the moment. Hopefully we’ll soon have a better idea.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for pointing me in this direction though, [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION].

I appreciate I am probably a little over-optimistic with some of my comments/readings of data sometimes.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks for pointing me in this direction though, [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION].

I appreciate I am probably a little over-optimistic with some of my comments/readings of data sometimes.

I don't think you are FWIW. I've just come to associate your recent postings indicating that the number of those that have contracted CV is high. Of course, the number of cases is far higher than the number of confirmed cases, but we're all whistling in the dark as to just how many there have been. I'd suggest that the figures that cast most light on this are those countries that have conducted the most antibody tests.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/16/the-coronavirus-crisis-take-back-control/

The failure to introduce a serious, rapid and community-based testing regime in itself implies that the government has no intention of following a containment policy. The testing regime we have is about getting health workers back to work (‘protecting the NHS’) rather than tracing the virus as it rushes through our society. As Jenny Harries helpfully made explicit, testing – and the contact tracing and containment it makes possible – just isn’t the British way. Her ‘no tests please were British’ represented the worst sort of British exceptionalism that, as Fintan O’Toole described so eloquently, is costing thousands of lives.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I've posted this on the main coronavirus thread but I think it deserves re-posting here. A Cambridge University geneticist is leading a research project into how the virus has evolved since it first jumped into humans. The evidence currently available is suggesting that the virus might not have started in Wuhan - Coronavirus Outbreak May Have Started as Early as September, Scientists Say

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...y-be-key-contributor-to-covid-19-deaths-study

High levels of air pollution may be “one of the most important contributors” to deaths from Covid-19, according to research.

The analysis shows that of the coronavirus deaths across 66 administrative regions in Italy, Spain, France and Germany, 78% of them occurred in just five regions, and these were the most polluted.

The research examined levels of nitrogen dioxide, a pollutant produced mostly by diesel vehicles, and weather conditions that can prevent dirty air from dispersing away from a city. Many studies have linked NO2 exposure to health damage, and particularly lung disease, which could make people more likely to die if they contract Covid-19.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here