Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Number of Deaths

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Like most people, I just find it horrifying, albeit completely understandable, that we're all essentially reduced to watching a numbers game whereby hundreds of daily deaths is taken as a positive just so long as the number is lower than the number from the day before

Heartbreaking isn't, and yes some may have "had a good innings", but they are all someone's mother, father, son or daughter, and the immense pain will be felt by all those that survive then!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When every critical care professional on the front line in Covid-19 hot spots says they've never seen or experienced anything like it - that's what really makes me sit up and notice. Not only do these people look overworked/overwhelmed - they look scared. I looked at the historic UK daily death numbers to try and gain some sort of perspective/benchmark a few weeks ago - but the numbers really don't tally with the carnage in ICU hot spots. If and when this crisis is under some sort of management, the overview and analysis of what's happened in care homes will be, I'm sure, harrowing. Once CV19 gets in a care home it's deadly.

Think you're right - some locations (London in particular) are under more immense pressure than others..............on the more positive front, the work done to create capacity (even if some of that is unpalatable normally - like discharging patients who aren't really ready) does at least mean things are currently under control in some places. Just have to hope the social distancing has the desired effect and the stream of victims remains manageable.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
"The largest study so far to look at mortality among coronavirus patients on ventilators was done by the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre in London. It found that among 98 ventilated patients in the U.K., just 33 were discharged alive."

1 in 3 chance once on ventilator.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I am saying it MAY not be as bad as people perceive and you ALWAYS have natural deaths which COULD be higher at this time of year.

It is estimated that of all the Italy death's 12% were down to covid 19, the rest may have died of something else anyway

I guess the take home message from this thread, albeit that no one actually knows the precise answer to the question originally posed, is that the lockdowns are working. Hate to think what the death numbers would become if we weren't doing this.

Moreover, if it is the case that the people doing are mainly 'those who would have died anyway', what we don't know is how many other people would die if they were weren't receiving intensive care, and therefore once again the implication of no lockdown is hospital capacity exceeded and more people not able to be saved who currently can be.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Heartbreaking isn't, and yes some may have "had a good innings", but they are all someone's mother, father, son or daughter, and the immense pain will be felt by all those that survive then!

I agree 100%, every passing is a tragedy, and in this day and age it is nigh on impossible to attend a funeral to pay your respects due to restrictions, this is a further blow to grieving yet celebrating a loved ones life.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
"The largest study so far to look at mortality among coronavirus patients on ventilators was done by the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre in London. It found that among 98 ventilated patients in the U.K., just 33 were discharged alive."

1 in 3 chance once on ventilator.

Cripes.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yes you are doing it again as you highlighted. You are downplaying the severity without hard evidence to do so.

Absolute rubbish, I'm asking a question and stating that the figures stated MAY not be accurate, which is true, trust me I have absolutely no doubt of the severity of this crisis.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Misses reckons numbers we're being told are bollocks and it's much higher, suddenly cases shot up in Brighton

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Your are playing to hype and trying to downplay it though with your wording. Let me re-phrase:

"I am interested in comparing the number of direct deaths from covid-19 with those of covid-19 related deaths. Does anyone know of a source for this data?"

You do not need to include hype like "the figures stated MAY not be accurate" and such. See what I mean?
I assume you are self aware? Have you never once considered it thought about why you seem to have problems with so many different posters here, most of which do not have problems with others? Is it a case that everyone else is wrong?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Your are playing to hype and trying to downplay it though with your wording. Let me re-phrase:

"I am interested in comparing the number of direct deaths from covid-19 with those of covid-19 related deaths. Does anyone know of a source for this data?"

You do not need to include hype like "the figures stated MAY not be accurate" and such. See what I mean?

No, I don't. I'm playing the bloody number DOWN.

With that statement I am down playing the numbers not sensationalising. What I am saying is at this time of year around 1,600 people sadly die daily, so when we report say 600 deaths of COVID-19 I'm saying is that a true number down directly to that or would some of those died on a normal April day through flu or another reasonably mundane virus etc.

Me, play to hype, couldn't be further from the truth my friend.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

With that statement I am down playing the numbers not sensationalising. What I am saying is at this time of year around 1,600 people sadly die daily, so when we report say 600 deaths of COVID-19 I'm saying is that a true number down directly to that or would some of those died on a normal April day through flu or another reasonably mundane virus etc.

You may as well give up. It is sad.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Unwittingly, you’ve got NSC’s crazed Jack Russell snapping at your heels, on yet another charmless crusade.

My commiserations.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The total number of deaths that are reported are the number that died with CV19 but what is the number of daily deaths at the moment of any illness or old age? Is this number nearer the 1600 being quoted? If 600 died on one day with CV19, was there another 1000 deaths of natural causes, accidents etc?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The total number of deaths that are reported are the number that died with CV19 but what is the number of daily deaths at the moment of any illness or old age? Is this number nearer the 1600 being quoted? If 600 died on one day with CV19, was there another 1000 deaths of natural causes, accidents etc?

I think the problem is, as the phrase you have used, "died with" as opposed to " died of". It would be nice (not really) to get some proper understanding of these figures!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't know what the problem is? I stated my objection calmly and clearly. I gave an example of how to re-word the question without hyping the case for playing down the number of cases or severity of the problem. How does that make me crazed!?
I think it is good to look at the data and analyse it and push for more openness about the figures. But it is hyping wild theories to ask for it whilst stating that the reason you want them is because things might not be as bad is wrong and misleading people. That is all. What is so wrong with that!?

No-one was 'hyping wild theories'. You are the one sensationalising the conversation with your hysterical reaction. It took me a long while when I was younger, to not over-react when I disagreed with someone, I felt such urgency to convey how wrong they were and conversely how right I was. I still fail quite frequently I may add, but more often I balance things out. You seem to lack the ability to balance things, or accept that others look at the subject in another light. It is great to have passion, an impassioned argument may win many a soul over, but frankly, the manner you are going about it will only cause division, usually you/the rest of us. It is only a matter of time before you are permanently banned imo as you either seem incapable, but maybe you are unwilling, to wind your neck in when needed. It has been said, blessed are the peacemakers, we could all do with some peace in these troubled times. Maybe give it a try?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here