Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Number of Deaths

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That is a legitimate question and concern. Is there a record somewhere of caused Covid-19 deaths against deaths with Covid-19?

It is estimated that of all the Italy death's 12% were down to covid 19, the rest may have died of something else anyway

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I suspect the source you heard that from is wrong as it makes no sense.

Same figure I was told, seasonality plays a big part in the data and Feb / Mar is a seasonally higher period than say June / July. 1,600 for the UK was the number quoted and they also said that many of those would be linked to flu but the flu wasn't the real cause but underlying health conditions and simple old age were the main contributory factors.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Indeed. It is the only way to see how bad this pandemic actually is, but I have yet to hear these figures mentioned at all.

Not sure about that. The virus will cause many people to spend weeks in intensive care who will not die. These numbers will undoubtedly be higher whether or not they result in death.

There will also be short and long term effects on death rates from other diseases such as cancer. So if the death rate now is around the seasonal average, that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be tens of thousands of extra deaths in the long term as a result, which would be very hard to quanitfy.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It is estimated that of all the Italy death's 12% were down to covid 19, the rest may have died of something else anyway

That's the problem, the "something else anyway" factor. How much did having Covid-19 speed up the death?

My wife has blood cancer (Lymphoma), which will probably kill her at some point, her contracting Covid-19 will probably make that a certainty...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was very very sad that a lady of 106 was reported as amongst the victims yesterday. Highlights so much that care homes should be right up there in the priority for providing PPE for the unsung folks looking after those most vulnerable members or our society

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
1600 people die every day on average in the uk. I heard every death is put down as covid 19 in hospital at the moment

No, it isn’t. My cousin died in Worthing hospital of a stroke. She was tested for Covid19, which was negative so her husband and sister were allowed to be with her as she died.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No, it isn’t. My cousin died in Worthing hospital of a stroke. She was tested for Covid19, which was negative so her husband and sister were allowed to be with her as she died.

I clarified this later, everyone that tested POSITIVE for coivid 19 at death is having covid 19 stated as the cause

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let me clarify, every death if the person tested positive for covid 19 is being put down to covid 19 as the cause, obviously not someone that was shot or anything
Oh I see. Thought it sounded a bit strange.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I clarified this later, everyone that tested POSITIVE for coivid 19 at death is having covid 19 stated as the cause

Yes.

Tests are only being done in hospitals. Those dying in care homes, prisons and at home are not being tested.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unfortunately we are not getting the full picture with the death rate, as its only people who have died of Covid 19 in hospital, it doesn't account for people who passed away in private dwellings or nursing/care homes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Watching TV this morning, a doctor was talking about respirators, and the survival rate for patients who actually got to the stage of being put on a respirator. Even though I wound it back a couple of times I couldn't make out what he said about the number who would die after being put on a respirator - was it 15% or 50% (which would be bloody scary!) - anybody hear it more clearly than me?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was very very sad that a lady of 106 was reported as amongst the victims yesterday. Highlights so much that care homes should be right up there in the priority for providing PPE for the unsung folks looking after those most vulnerable members or our society

Bless her, it's sad but she had a darn good innings.

Mrs V's mother who is 83, and on a raft of medications, is virtually housebound in sheltered accommodation in Shropshire. She has Health Visitors coming twice a day to make sure she is eating ok and taking her meds, we have no idea on the level of PPE these staff are getting from down here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes.

Tests are only being done in hospitals. Those dying in care homes, prisons and at home are not being tested.

Unfortunately we are not getting the full picture with the death rate, as its only people who have died of Covid 19 in hospital, it doesn't account for people who passed away in private dwellings or nursing/care homes.

I think they are, but the stats lag - ONS provides this data

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...landandwalesprovisional/weekending27march2020

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Interesting the latest weekly deaths stated of 11000, 4.8% was down to covid 19

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Like most people, I just find it horrifying, albeit completely understandable, that we're all essentially reduced to watching a numbers game whereby hundreds of daily deaths is taken as a positive just so long as the number is lower than the number from the day before

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Watching TV this morning, a doctor was talking about respirators, and the survival rate for patients who actually got to the stage of being put on a respirator. Even though I wound it back a couple of times I couldn't make out what he said about the number who would die after being put on a respirator - was it 15% or 50% (which would be bloody scary!) - anybody hear it more clearly than me?

I've read various sources this morning and the survival rate is 50:50.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Don't think FDs contribute to reportable facts/data on cause at that level of detail.......and how would they identify Covid vs non Covid causes ?

What's clear though is that a large % of the reported Covid19 deaths, whilst maybe hastened a bit by the virus, aren't really solely 'due' to the virus........and overall deaths aren't materially different from this time last year.......

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
When every critical care professional on the front line in Covid-19 hot spots says they've never seen or experienced anything like it - that's what really makes me sit up and notice. Not only do these people look overworked/overwhelmed - they look scared. I looked at the historic UK daily death numbers to try and gain some sort of perspective/benchmark a few weeks ago - but the numbers really don't tally with the carnage in ICU hot spots. If and when this crisis is under some sort of management, the overview and analysis of what's happened in care homes will be, I'm sure, harrowing. Once CV19 gets in a care home it's deadly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here