Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poyet’s signings as rated by the Shoreham Herald.

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
My memories of Poyet’s reign are mixed: ranging from occasional euphoria to, on very many an occasion, avoiding a speedy return from my half time pint because of the footballing fayre being dished out above. Having read this article, I may have to re-assess my view of history as Poyet’s track record of signings certainly stands up to the test of time.

For me, his purchases of our ever-underrated Scottish colossus of a captain and the two Spanish full backs are his two most inspired. Mr Poyet, retrospectively, I salute you!

https://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/sp...14-gus-poyets-signings-brighton-rated-2529459

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He was an absolutely brilliant manager for us at the right time. Problem was, he thought he was better than us, and it turned out that he wasn't.

I still maintain his 'hit the ceiling' comments were correct though. We were going nowhere under that structure with David Burke in charge of recruitment and refusing to spend enough cash. Bloom clearly started to allow more money to be spent once the new recruitment team and Hughton came in, and look at the result. Hughton did a brilliant job, but I'm pretty sure Gus would have got us up too under the same transfer / wage structure.

It's a shame the way it worked out, but with characters like Poyet it's always going to end in tears, however good the ride is along the way.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Liking that Will Buckley pre-empted the Corona Virus gloves fad.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Is the list missing a few?? Vicente, Hammond, Upson etc

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No Vicente, Roland Bergkamp.....

The Shoreham Herald need to undertake some better research before publishing an incomplete article

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He was an absolutely brilliant manager for us at the right time. Problem was, he thought he was better than us, and it turned out that he wasn't.

I still maintain his 'hit the ceiling' comments were correct though. We were going nowhere under that structure with David Burke in charge of recruitment and refusing to spend enough cash. Bloom clearly started to allow more money to be spent once the new recruitment team and Hughton came in, and look at the result. Hughton did a brilliant job, but I'm pretty sure Gus would have got us up too under the same transfer / wage structure.

It's a shame the way it worked out, but with characters like Poyet it's always going to end in tears, however good the ride is along the way.

I agree with all you say and, as you pointed out and has been proven since, we needed a bigger ladder to get beyond that ceiling. Unfortunately for Gus though, each time he has been given a bigger ladder, it toppled over.

*edit* If someone who isn't busy with work, decorating or gardening, can be arsed to put together a proper list of Gus's signings, I'm sure I could find time to give my opinion on it :wink:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I loved our seasons with Gus as manager. The side oozed class with players like Buckley, Bridge, Vicente, Orlandi, Ulloa, Calde, Upson, Bruno...even Tanno was great when he was forced out of retirement.

Different times at different level but I find it hard to believe anyone could look back at Gus's tenure and not remember the good times... before the bad time at the end of course.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will never forget that League One Championship season, it remains one of the most enjoyable in all my time following the Albion. Peterborough and Charlton away will live with me until I die or lose my marbles

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I loved our seasons with Gus as manager. The side oozed class with players like Buckley, Bridge, Vicente, Orlandi, Ulloa, Calde, Upson, Bruno...even Tanno was great when he was forced out of retirement.

Different times at different level but I find it hard to believe anyone could look back at Gus's tenure and not remember the good times... before the bad time at the end of course.

Don't forget the "GET IT FORWARD, THAT'S WHERE THE GOAL IS" brigade were at it then too. Probably even more so. Embarrassing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No Vicente, Roland Bergkamp.....

The Shoreham Herald need to undertake some better research before publishing an incomplete article

Roland Bergkamp was nothing to do with Poyet, but Burke's predecessor, John Stephenson.
He disappeared soon after that saying he couldn't settle on the south coast. He'd moved many miles to be our director of football. All the way from Watford.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Murray.

Oh bugger, of course that is the one player he should have made sure signed under him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was that piece compiled by a 5 year old?

Where is Baz and Battipiedi?

How is Ulloa only one above CMS and how is CMS only 1 above Holroyd? As for Harley's rating, absolute joke.

And, of course, they should do a similar article on the ones he let go, or more specifically, why he let the leading scorer walk away?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here