Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Poyet’s signings as rated by the Shoreham Herald.

1 Not allowed!
    My memories of Poyet’s reign are mixed: ranging from occasional euphoria to, on very many an occasion, avoiding a speedy return from my half time pint because of the footballing fayre being dished out above. Having read this article, I may have to re-assess my view of history as Poyet’s track record of signings certainly stands up to the test of time.

For me, his purchases of our ever-underrated Scottish colossus of a captain and the two Spanish full backs are his two most inspired. Mr Poyet, retrospectively, I salute you!

https://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/spo...-rated-2529459

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

2 Not allowed!
      Shoreham Herald

Is that even a thing?

16 Not allowed!
      He was an absolutely brilliant manager for us at the right time. Problem was, he thought he was better than us, and it turned out that he wasn't.

I still maintain his 'hit the ceiling' comments were correct though. We were going nowhere under that structure with David Burke in charge of recruitment and refusing to spend enough cash. Bloom clearly started to allow more money to be spent once the new recruitment team and Hughton came in, and look at the result. Hughton did a brilliant job, but I'm pretty sure Gus would have got us up too under the same transfer / wage structure.

It's a shame the way it worked out, but with characters like Poyet it's always going to end in tears, however good the ride is along the way.
      "I am repeatedly a fan of his braggish self-assurance. No point, that I can remember, has he ever been foolish or incorrect. All based on scientific, biblical fact. He's a vivid sermoniser whose halo sometimes burns those who dare to question."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Liking that Will Buckley pre-empted the Corona Virus gloves fad.
      Only the musically educated have Pet Sounds...

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Over?

Founder of the 'There's Nothing Wrong With Portslade' Society
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Is the list missing a few?? Vicente, Hammond, Upson etc
      Only the musically educated have Pet Sounds...

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Over?

Founder of the 'There's Nothing Wrong With Portslade' Society
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      That list isnt even correct.

0 Not allowed!
      No Vicente, Roland Bergkamp.....

The Shoreham Herald need to undertake some better research before publishing an incomplete article
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      He was an absolutely brilliant manager for us at the right time. Problem was, he thought he was better than us, and it turned out that he wasn't.

I still maintain his 'hit the ceiling' comments were correct though. We were going nowhere under that structure with David Burke in charge of recruitment and refusing to spend enough cash. Bloom clearly started to allow more money to be spent once the new recruitment team and Hughton came in, and look at the result. Hughton did a brilliant job, but I'm pretty sure Gus would have got us up too under the same transfer / wage structure.

It's a shame the way it worked out, but with characters like Poyet it's always going to end in tears, however good the ride is along the way.
      I agree with all you say and, as you pointed out and has been proven since, we needed a bigger ladder to get beyond that ceiling. Unfortunately for Gus though, each time he has been given a bigger ladder, it toppled over.

*edit* If someone who isn't busy with work, decorating or gardening, can be arsed to put together a proper list of Gus's signings, I'm sure I could find time to give my opinion on it

2 Not allowed!
      Did poyet sign Spanish Dave & Orlandi ?

10 Not allowed!
      I loved our seasons with Gus as manager. The side oozed class with players like Buckley, Bridge, Vicente, Orlandi, Ulloa, Calde, Upson, Bruno...even Tanno was great when he was forced out of retirement.

Different times at different level but I find it hard to believe anyone could look back at Gus's tenure and not remember the good times... before the bad time at the end of course.
      That's just, like, your opinion man.