Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Assistance s’il vous plait

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As things go on, I would like to take up staring into the abyss of space And to contemplate the futility in it all!

Has anyone bought a telescope before?

Amazon has a plethora of them which vary in price but to get a decent one they seem to come in a around £150ish up to anything really.

Where we are, our back garden is perfect for stargazing, and seeing the space station has enthused me.

Thanks.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
A telescope won’t be much good for the ISS as it moves to fast.
Telescopes are great for static objects ie stars and the moon / planets but try tracking a moving on next not so easy..

Some scopes are overly complicated and are hard to get used to.

I will try and find the website I used to read about different types before I bought mine.

Don’t spend to much as you might get bored after a few hours
You can always upgrade when you get into it.

I paid £175 and it’s done me for 2 years..... sometimes light pollution makes gazing impossible.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
For amateur stargazing, a decent pair of binoculars is usually better than a telescope.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A telescope won’t be much good for the ISS as it moves to fast.
Telescopes are great for static objects ie stars and the moon / planets but try tracking a moving on next not so easy..

Some scopes are overly complicated and are hard to get used to.

I will try and find the website I used to read about different types before I bought mine.

Don’t spend to much as you might get bored after a few hours
You can always upgrade when you get into it.

I paid £175 and it’s done me for 2 years..... sometimes light pollution makes gazing impossible.

Ok mate...many thanks.

Btw. There is a Facebook group site called Brighton Skies.....they have shots of the heavens taken through telescopes that are genius.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I read this yesterday:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six...argazing-in-the-time-of-coronavirus-qwqvk7d3r

There are apps which tell you which constellation you are looking at!!

Yes I have Starwalk2;which actually is very good for pointing at a celestial object and it telling you what it is. Had a very strange argument with a scouser on board ship a few years ago. His wife was looking up and trying to work out the bright star...I said it was Jupiter, with mars in the background ( from star walk) and he said total rubbish, it’s a satellite. ( wouldn’t have it even when I showed him the screen). Bet he would have voted trump if he lived in the US

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here