Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Am I missing something here ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a reassuring response to the OP. Saw the first post and thought this was going to be a binfest for the anti Rooney brigade but seems most can see the point Rooney was making.

Yes, EPL footballers are in the spotlight but it is wrong to single them out. I do however think they themselves have been a bit slow in responding to the crisis which has been a PR own goal. But, they have been hung out to dry by the press and the government.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But if the club isn’t making money anyway the owner is already propping it up.
Surely there are several issues here, why should players be immune from shared hardship and they benefit from a free market which in bad financial conditions means that there income naturally drops. The level of the drop is yet to be realised. This depends on the tv money and the outvoting the season.
Should politicians tell others what to do with their money,No.
Is there a bigger picture YES
I'm not sure you meant to quote me as nothing you've said refutes anything that I did.

You've just contradicted what you previously posted.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What is the point though?

So players take a pay cut of 30%.

Sheikh Mansour, Mike Ashley and Roman Abramovich rub their hands.

The government loses MILLIONS in tax.

Players are basically unaffected because they're already minted and will still be paid loads.

It's financial illiteracy.

It was more the actual claim in the article that some players would be " financially ruined "

I wondered which of his circle of friends might be "financially ruined" by a 30% pay cut. And what to that circle of friends . What would they constitute as being " financially ruined " ? -. Perhaps having to decide whether to give up the Ferrari, the BMW, the Aston Martin or the Mercedes ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It was more the actual claim in the article that some players would be " financially ruined "

I wondered which of his circle of friends might be "financially ruined" by a 30% pay cut. And what to that circle of friends . What would they constitute as being " financially ruined " ? -. Perhaps having to decide whether to give up the Ferrari, the BMW, the Aston Martin or the Mercedes ?
Yes and that claim is clearly bollocks.

But so is the idea that a 30% pay cut for players will assist anyone other than the owners of football clubs.

It would take millions away from the treasury.

As I said, what's the point?

It's not as if Mansour, Ashley & co would be donating the 30% to charity. So conservatively you'd just be taking 15% away from the country, that's all.

Also, are the REALLY rich people taking a pay cut? Will Jacob Rees Mogg be publishing figures of how much he's made during this crisis and donating 30% to the NHS?

Will the people who've shifted their residence to Monaco so they pay **** all in tax be doing the same? Will Philip Green (I refuse to call him sir) be chucking a few million in out of his wife's billion pound dividends? How about Branson? Oh no, he's after getting some money FROM us.

It's just bullshīt.

At least a load of the money paid to players is actually being deducted in tax and NI. Plus the clubs are paying HUGE amounts of employers NI on those wages.

It's an easy target but, financially, the target makes no sense to hit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes and that claim is clearly bollocks.

Is it? We talk about 'premier league footballer' and think of rooney, aquero, and all those players at the top getting x00k per week. But it also includes the likes of Button, Connelly, and a whole bunch of younger footballers at clubs on the low end of the budget chart getting a chance to break through from the under 21s.

Many of them, including some of the more handsomely paid players have mortgages that they can only afford because they're getting paid as much as they are, who won't be able to make their mortgage payments with a paycut. Normally the less sympathetic might suggest they simply sell up and move to more affordable house, but in the lockdown that isn't meant to be an option. Not to mention payments due to agents, accountants, lawyers, etc.

That's before you get into the players who, like many other people in the country, haven't necessarily planned for a global pandemic and put money aside for a rainy day. Sure, we can argue they should have, but then, so should the clubs that employ them so that they shouldn't need to cut pay.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Is it? We talk about 'premier league footballer' and think of rooney, aquero, and all those players at the top getting x00k per week. But it also includes the likes of Button, Connelly, and a whole bunch of younger footballers at clubs on the low end of the budget chart getting a chance to break through from the under 21s.

Many of them, including some of the more handsomely paid players have mortgages that they can only afford because they're getting paid as much as they are, who won't be able to make their mortgage payments with a paycut. Normally the less sympathetic might suggest they simply sell up and move to more affordable house, but in the lockdown that isn't meant to be an option. Not to mention payments due to agents, accountants, lawyers, etc.

That's before you get into the players who, like many other people in the country, haven't necessarily planned for a global pandemic and put money aside for a rainy day. Sure, we can argue they should have, but then, so should the clubs that employ them so that they shouldn't need to cut pay.

No, it really is bollocks.

If they were struggling to pay the mortgage then they could take a payment holiday like the rest of us. Agents are paid on commission so their fees would drop commensurately with any cut in wages. Accountants and lawyers get paid as an when clients can afford it. As has always been (I should know).

As for the ones who haven't "put money aside for a rainy day" we are talking about a 30% reduction in wages, not leaving them with nothing!

If you hadn't noticed MILLIONS of people HAVE been left with nothing. No money for the self employed and millions of part time / multi income workers, others who have just switched jobs or people just unlucky enough to have ******* employers.

I'm not going to worry if a PL football player on 70% wages has to miss a couple of payments on the mock Tudor mansion or the Bentley I'm afraid. Especially when I see cases of people having to borrow money to feed their kids.

But anyway, despite all this, as I said I think the 30% pay cut is a stupid idea as it makes no economic sense.

What should happen is that players get paid and taxed as normal so the government gets their share and then the players bung a load of the already taxed income to charity (which many already do / will be doing).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That will be that then. The players sought this solution, and not a wages reduction benefitting some of their employers. I would imagine many players give very generously, but the sums will be kept it private.

What next step will the owners take?
Sadly the club owners still have to reduce costs. It is all very well that some are wealthy enough to take the full hit, but equally some won't be.

The easy first step comes in June when a few players are out of contract. I can't see many of those contracts being extended.

The longer it takes before the 20/21 season starts, the more desperate the cost cutting will be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sadly the club owners still have to reduce costs. It is all very well that some are wealthy enough to take the full hit, but equally some won't be.

The easy first step comes in June when a few players are out of contract. I can't see many of those contracts being extended.

The longer it takes before the 20/21 season starts, the more desperate the cost cutting will be.

With wages making up 60% of PL clubs costs and theplayers refusal to budge, I wonder how else PL clubs can reduce costs?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With wages making up 60% of PL clubs costs and theplayers refusal to budge, I wonder how else PL clubs can reduce costs?
Bournemouth have 7 senior players out of contract in June. It'll be a big gamble on survival to extend those deals. They can also terminate Harry Wilson's loan on May 31st.

We only have 3 out of contract - Schelotto, Kayal, Balogun - so less potential saving. Selling Locadia could come at a good time, if we can turn that loan into a sale.

Hard financial decisions will be coming to a lot of clubs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bournemouth have 7 senior players out of contract in June. It'll be a big gamble on survival to extend those deals. They can also terminate Harry Wilson's loan on May 31st.

We only have 3 out of contract - Schelotto, Kayal, Balogun - so less potential saving. Selling Locadia could come at a good time, if we can turn that loan into a sale.

Hard financial decisions will be coming to a lot of clubs.

Unless, and they appear confident, all PL fixtures for 2019/20 and 2020/21 are fulfilled one way or another, so that all the clubs receive their full broadcasting monies.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Unless, and they appear confident, all PL fixtures for 2019/20 and 2020/21 are fulfilled one way or another, so that all the clubs receive their full broadcasting monies.
The real problem is for teams that have to pay extra unbudgeted PL paychecks after June, and then go down so they don't get next years' PL money.

I doubt that the parachutes will be increased to cover this. Although, maybe part of any plan to extend the season will include a pro-rata ratcheting up of the parachute payments to cover losses in the extension period ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here