Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Am I missing something here ?

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Footballers are very much in the public eye so it's only natural they will become some of the first targets. Many of the bellends are also constantly flaunting their wealth online too, so that';s probably another reason. I just feel that the Premier league has become totally detached from the real world and those who support it, so they should tread carefully in times of hardship.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Did make me laugh Gary Linekar getting all moralistic about it.

The blokes worth 30m and on a huge salary.

Footballers should be targeted as should all stinking rich ceo / director / famous person etc. . . including Linekar

The same Gary Lineker that’s just donated £150k to the Red Cross to help with the fight against Corona ?

What a horrible guy eh

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Surely the issue is that football clubs shouldn’t be furloughing low paid staff that the tax player will have to fund when ridiculously overpaid staff aren’t affected at all. It’s about a shared burden. The players don’t get the sharing bit. They also don’t get that when they don’t play in front of the cameras their value and wages drops through the floor.

Will the same not be true of a number of companies using the furlough scheme, only it’s high paid executives not footballers?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I would be knocking on Sir Elton Johns door, he is always the first to say 'look at me I'm such a nice guy' and another PR stunt man, Geldolf should personally shell a bit out a whack.

But how much actually comes out of their wealthy pockets???

Shifty feckers.

Actually, without breaking any confidences (I cannot and won’t), Elton John is immensely generous when it comes to sharing his wealth; nearly always anonymously and without any fanfare.

D

Deleted member 2719

Actually, without breaking any confidences (I cannot and won’t), Elton John is immensely generous when it comes to sharing his wealth; nearly always anonymously and without any fanfare.

What's is generous???

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The statement which baffles me is that it "will financially ruin some Footballers"

What is it that he doesn't understand about what is going on in the country ?

Almost every household is being financially hit.

Most households are losing between 20% and 100% of their incomes in the coming months. And they don't often have any say in the matter.

Which players earning PL or even Championship Salaries is it going to " Ruin " ?

I don't think he knows what it is like to struggle financially any more. If he does then he is being dismissive of it.

No player would be financially ruined.

Yes the ones who are paying out large Divorce Settlements might be affected quite dramatically. But drops in earnings would mean that they could seek to reduce their Maintenance Payments.

He should have kept his head below the pressapis on this subject and avoided the question.

Players on those sort of salaries should easily be able to ride out a year on 70% salary.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Have a look at he Sunday Times Rich List top 10 here.
Only one "Football" person on it (and one former football person), neither of them are players.
Footballers, even the biggest earners are small-fry compared to people like Jim Ratcliffe or James Dyson. Personally I think that after all this dies down, we should be asking people like the Hinduja Brothers to dig deep into their £22000000000 fortune to help out.
So yeah, I get what Rooney is on about.

Asking the incredibly wealthy upper classes to pay their share? MAny would have you up for communism for suggesting such heathen actions. Much easier to demand a load of working class kids stump up.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The statement which baffles me is that it "will financially ruin some Footballers"

Most households are losing between 20% and 100% of their incomes in the coming months. And they don't often have any say in the matter.

Which players earning PL or even Championship Salaries is it going to " Ruin " ?

I don't think he knows what it is like to struggle financially any more. If he does then he is being dismissive of it.

Yes the ones who are paying out large Divorce Settlements might be affected quite dramatically. But drops in earnings would mean that they could seek to reduce their Maintenance Payments.

He should have kept his head below the pressapis on this subject and avoided the question.

Players on those sort of salaries should easily be able to ride out a year on 70% salary.

I do love a good mixed metaphor, for me they go in one ear and out the other, like water off a ducks back!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The same Gary Lineker that’s just donated £150k to the Red Cross to help with the fight against Corona ?

What a horrible guy eh

Now now, we all know that when it comes to attacking Gary Lineker people would rather not hear about the facts. Much like how many would rather attack Raheem Sterling rather than listen to all the good stuff he does because he once bought a gold tap.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
the media put it on the agenda, the politican responded. and the media asked because a large club furloughed their staff.

This. An idiot journalist ( can't remember which one now ) asked the question to the Health Secretary Matt Hancock. Hancock was rather doomed from that point, answer the question ( which he did ) or not answer the question which we all know is a complaint of all of ours towards politicians. He answered it in what appears an honest way. It's not the government that have made players targets - it's the press.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He's right to call out why exactly the government are targetting footballers to lead the way.

It is non-sensical. Fair enough if they were to raise taxation on the super wealthy to help fund the nation's crisis.

But a Pay cut for footballers?
serves absolutely no purpose, other than to reduce the losses made by Football clubs.
Which does nothing to help fight the pandemic.

really out of order - not a government matter in the slightest
This is correct.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This, this, a thousand times this!

This is going to be a very difficult thing for the Tories to do, but will become essential in our post-Corona world.

A quick soundbite against footballers was probably thought to be a good PR strategy ( or a completely unscripted gaffe) either way it is a long way short of the mark
As is this and the post you quoted.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The money is the clubs in the first place. If it ends up as profit on the balance sheet they would need to pay corporation tax anyway.
Would they bollocks. Which clubs do you know that make big profits and pay a massive corporation tax bill?

The balance sheet has nothing to do with it btw. I think you mean the profit and loss account.

Plus the tax on high earning employees is WAY more than that on the profit on a company's profit anyway.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

What is the point though?

So players take a pay cut of 30%.

Sheikh Mansour, Mike Ashley and Roman Abramovich rub their hands.

The government loses MILLIONS in tax.

Players are basically unaffected because they're already minted and will still be paid loads.

It's financial illiteracy.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

But he does book an economy class seat on B.A., and expects, and gets an upgrade to first class.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What is the point though?

So players take a pay cut of 30%.

Sheikh Mansour, Mike Ashley and Roman Abramovich rub their hands.

The government loses MILLIONS in tax.

Players are basically unaffected because they're already minted and will still be paid loads.

It's financial illiteracy.

Agreed.

But once again we are falling foul of the need for politicians to spin every situation.
It is more important that the electorate are told who the bad guys are, rather than look too deeply at how well the government are performing.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Would they bollocks. Which clubs do you know that make big profits and pay a massive corporation tax bill?

The balance sheet has nothing to do with it btw. I think you mean the profit and loss account.

Plus the tax on high earning employees is WAY more than that on the profit on a company's profit anyway.

But if the club isn’t making money anyway the owner is already propping it up.
Surely there are several issues here, why should players be immune from shared hardship and they benefit from a free market which in bad financial conditions means that there income naturally drops. The level of the drop is yet to be realised. This depends on the tv money and the outvoting the season.
Should politicians tell others what to do with their money,No.
Is there a bigger picture YES

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here