Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Am I missing something here ?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I can't really be bothered to read and analyse anything said by Wayne Rooney, but what's he got to moan about?

"For the Premier League to just announce the proposal, as it has done, increases the pressure on players and in my opinion it is now a no-win situation: if players come out and say they can't agree or are not willing to cut by 30%, even if the real reasons are that it will financially ruin some, it will be presented as 'Rich Players Refuse Pay Cut'.

"It seemed strange to me because every other decision in this process has been kept behind closed doors, but this had to be announced publicly.

"Why? It feels as if it's to shame the players - to force them into a corner where they have to pick up the bill for lost revenue."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think his point is a big target has been put on football players, rather than the clubs and authorities.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's a bit like everyone going after the car industry and drivers when there are far higher polluting industries.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Their argument that a 30% pay cut will deprive the government of £200m In taxes is just bollocks. It’s a spit in the bucket compared with the overall cost of this exercise. Them, like lots of the other mega rich, could donate, tax free, a proportion of their income to an appropriate cause.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Have a look at he Sunday Times Rich List top 10 here.
Only one "Football" person on it (and one former football person), neither of them are players.
Footballers, even the biggest earners are small-fry compared to people like Jim Ratcliffe or James Dyson. Personally I think that after all this dies down, we should be asking people like the Hinduja Brothers to dig deep into their £22000000000 fortune to help out.
So yeah, I get what Rooney is on about.

D

Deleted member 2719

I would be knocking on Sir Elton Johns door, he is always the first to say 'look at me I'm such a nice guy' and another PR stunt man, Geldolf should personally shell a bit out a whack.

But how much actually comes out of their wealthy pockets???

Shifty feckers.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I really don’t get the whole 30% pay cut thing.

My view has always been that the players should take whatever cut is needed to prevent the tax payer paying the wages of furloughed staff. To me it is absolutely ridiculous that rather than pay for more ventilators or tests the tax payer will pay an employee’s is wages of an organisation who will be spending 20 million quid on a player in a few months. It seems nuts.

If clubs can’t survive without the players taking a pay cut then that is down to individual clubs.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What about the PL players who have huge gambling debts to finance, or those with numerous ex wives with kids?

By the way, did Bob Geldorf ever take in any migrants?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I don't quite get why the government has singled out premier league footballers as the only rich people who should be taking pay cuts- yes they earn a lot but there are plenty of other rich people in this country and in fact there are richer people in football than the players

yes, Premier League clubs shouldn't be asking for government help (although there are other wealthy companies doing the same) but it's not the players faults

at the end of the day if you want rich people to contribute more then tax them more

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Did make me laugh Gary Linekar getting all moralistic about it.

The blokes worth 30m and on a huge salary.

Footballers should be targeted as should all stinking rich ceo / director / famous person etc. . . including Linekar

I don't quite get why the government has singled out premier league footballers as the only rich people who should be taking pay cuts- yes they earn a lot but there are plenty of other rich people in this country and in fact there are richer people in football than the players

yes, Premier League clubs shouldn't be asking for government help (although there are other wealthy companies doing the same) but it's not the players faults

at the end of the day if you want rich people to contribute more then tax them more

Precisely........and how many players have the ear of big business and the government??

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He's right to call out why exactly the government are targetting footballers to lead the way.

It is non-sensical. Fair enough if they were to raise taxation on the super wealthy to help fund the nation's crisis.

But a Pay cut for footballers?
serves absolutely no purpose, other than to reduce the losses made by Football clubs.
Which does nothing to help fight the pandemic.

really out of order - not a government matter in the slightest

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Agree with most, the point was not whether they should be donating to charity - that is their personal choice - but why clubs were paying them full whack and then asking the government to pay wages of other club members of staff.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

This, this, a thousand times this!

This is going to be a very difficult thing for the Tories to do, but will become essential in our post-Corona world.

A quick soundbite against footballers was probably thought to be a good PR strategy ( or a completely unscripted gaffe) either way it is a long way short of the mark

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the media put it on the agenda, the politican responded. and the media asked because a large club furloughed their staff.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Surely the issue is that football clubs shouldn’t be furloughing low paid staff that the tax player will have to fund when ridiculously overpaid staff aren’t affected at all. It’s about a shared burden. The players don’t get the sharing bit. They also don’t get that when they don’t play in front of the cameras their value and wages drops through the floor.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Surely the issue is that football clubs shouldn’t be furloughing low paid staff that the tax player will have to fund when ridiculously overpaid staff aren’t affected at all. It’s about a shared burden. The players don’t get the sharing bit. They also don’t get that when they don’t play in front of the cameras their value and wages drops through the floor.
They also don't get that their agents argued for a large share of the TV money, and now the clubs may lose a large proportion of the money. However they could argue that contingency clauses covering a massive loss of income should have been included, not that any player would sign that. They have a point that if they have a wage cut the money will only go to the club owners and money would be lost in taxes.

Sent from my EVR-N29 using Tapatalk

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
They also don't get that their agents argued for a large share of the TV money, and now the clubs may lose a large proportion of the money. However they could argue that contingency clauses covering a massive loss of income should have been included, not that any player would sign that. They have a point that if they have a wage cut the money will only go to the club owners and money would be lost in taxes.

Sent from my EVR-N29 using Tapatalk

The money is the clubs in the first place. If it ends up as profit on the balance sheet they would need to pay corporation tax anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here