Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Summer Holidays

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have a holiday to Orlando booked for early September. I have paid £240 deposit with BA, the whole package is with them. They have stated that we can cancel up until 3 weeks prior to the holiday but even if we cancel or just don't pay, we will only lose our deposit. I am very happy with this, even though I could do with the money back. I also do not expect the holiday to go ahead, as it is in the USA. However, if it did, and if I can afford to pay it, I'm wondering if it is worth going if everything has calmed down by then. I suspect that there will be fewer holidays /planes /tour operators around by then and the price of holidays could sky rocket. It could be the last one that I could afford for a while.

Not something I'm losing sleep over though, plenty of over things to worry about at the moment...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you didn't catch the show, it's worth listening on BBC catch-up to Simon Calder's slot on 5live today (12:15 'til 13:00). Amongst dealing with the usual array of consumer questions, he was firmly of the opinion that:

1. UK holidays and hotels will be up and running by mid-May.
2. Overseas holidays e.g. Spain by late May, the middle of June at the latest.
3. The USA by July.

Based on industry pressures, and many countries are dependent on tourism. His expression was "more probable than not, but he could be proved wrong".

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
If you didn't catch the show, it's worth listening on BBC catch-up to Simon Calder's slot on 5live today (12:15 'til 13:00). Amongst dealing with the usual array of consumer questions, he was firmly of the opinion that:

3. The USA by July.

Based on industry pressures, and many countries are dependent on tourism. His expression was "more probable than not, but he could be proved wrong".

I think he’s being pretty optimistic tbh. I can’t see lockdown easing much earlier than the start of May, and then happening in a controlled and phased way. Hotels and holidays are unlikely to be among the first waves, frankly. Some point in June is more realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I'm very much aware that this is a First World Issue, but in case this helps anyone;

Virgin Holidays has now officially cancelled my Sandals Holiday to Jamaica - booked to start this time next week, 21 April - and I have completed their online form to postpone and rebook on the same dates next year.

I had also used my "Sandals Reward Points" to pay for some of the holiday, and Sandals has today confirmed that those points have automatically been credited back to my account.

If travel restrictions change sooner then I can rebook an earlier holiday if I choose to.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I'm very much aware that this is a First World Issue, but in case this helps anyone;

Virgin Holidays has now officially cancelled my Sandals Holiday to Jamaica - booked to start this time next week, 21 April - and I have completed their online form to postpone and rebook on the same dates next year.

I had also used my "Sandals Reward Points" to pay for some of the holiday, and Sandals has today confirmed that those points have automatically been credited back to my account.

If travel restrictions change sooner then I can rebook an earlier holiday if I choose to.

Booked for 2 weeks in Barbados with Virgin in Sept.......fingers crossed.....

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

3. The USA by July.

Jet2 Holidays, Britain's 2nd largest Tour Operator has cancelled everything until at least the 17th June - I suspect that's what he's using as a basis for his assumptions. Personally I think he's being a bit optimistic, as we know this is a moving target, that just keeps moving.......

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I don’t see countries allowing people to travel to them unless they can provide proof of having an antibody test to show they are clear from the virus. Given our rate of rolling out testing I can’t see this happening until the end of the summer at best. I’ve got a trip to Venice booked for October but am not expecting to go. Hope I’m wrong.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

3. The USA by July.

Pretty much my view as I was saying the other day.

Another thought is places like Jamaica who have a large number of American own hotels

Hotel owner - we are losing money fast, when are you going to open up the boarders.

Jamaican Government - three months maybe

Hotel owner - not soon enough, we are closing and leaving

Jamaican Government - on second thoughts, we can do tomorrow?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don’t see countries allowing people to travel to them unless they can provide proof of having an antibody test to show they are clear from the virus. Given our rate of rolling out testing I can’t see this happening until the end of the summer at best. I’ve got a trip to Venice booked for October but am not expecting to go. Hope I’m wrong.

Agreed, as I'm sure I've posted elsewhere.

It will either be...

- Prove you are "Covid-19 safe" by way of some sort of Internationally-recognised certificate or passport.
- You can't come in / You can come in but you have to go into quarantine for 14/21/28 days.

As such I'm not sure travelling for leisure is going to be viable for many for some time.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Very much I 1. would be allowed to go somewhere this summer and 2. would be dumb enough to do it. I hope the Swedish league will start in the summer though, went to northern Sweden last year to watch a game starting at midnight, was fantastic to experience the midnight sun.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

It will either be...

- Prove you are "Covid-19 safe" by way of some sort of Internationally-recognised certificate or passport.
- You can't come in / You can come in but you have to go into quarantine for 14/21/28 days.

As such I'm not sure travelling for leisure is going to be viable for many for some time.

I think some will, maybe some smaller countries, but I just can’t see places like the states doing it.

Too much lost money in the time taken up to get this in place.

My guess is it will be self policed as it is for everything else.... how well that will work is up for debate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jet2 Holidays, Britain's 2nd largest Tour Operator has cancelled everything until at least the 17th June - I suspect that's what he's using as a basis for his assumptions. Personally I think he's being a bit optimistic, as we know this is a moving target, that just keeps moving.......

Simon Calder mentioned that, full of praise for Jet2.

But he worded your negative as a positive, saying that Jet2 holidays will resume in mid June.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

It will either be...

I suspect it will be down to each individual country in respect of their borders etc... Both of the above are certainly the intuitive answer, but sometimes the intuitive answer is not workable in practice. There are enough issues with Travel Companies/Travel Insurers/Merchant Services over just one across the board FCO advice, let alone consumer rights if they don't have a certificate or are forced into quarantine when they travel. There is a lot more to play out in the short term and I guess it's weighing up individual economies and the global economy in respect of trade offs to get things moving again. The WHO continues to maintain that restricting travel whilst in a pandemic is not recommended for a variety of reasons (but this is Covid19!)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Talk in Spain that for the balerics they are looking at only allowing domestic flights from mainland Spain, heavily discounted. Border control only to allow Spanish residents first when they can re-open, and international tourists possibly at the end of summer.

I can see this kind of model being replicated

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Foreign travel this year highly unlikely. A holiday in Dorset in a nice hotel for the family in late July has already been cancelled by our tour operator and hotel so looks like it will be summer 2020 in sunny old Shoreham.

Was also hoping to spend a weekend in London at the end of August (taking in the Eagles gig at Wembley) and hear this is now likely to be pulled. If they are discouraging unnecessary travel in the UK until beyond the summer, I think it's highly unlikely many will be able to go abroad easily.

Plus, would you want to take the chance and potentially get stuck somewhere if things went tits up again and we get Corona 20 'the sequel' ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It seems like countries are anxious to fit in an extra wave before the autumn 2nd wave.

If they go too early in lifting lockdown then the 2nd wave moves forward to July, and we get the 3rd wave in September.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Simon Calder mentioned that, full of praise for Jet2.

But he worded your negative as a positive, saying that Jet2 holidays will resume in mid June.

The same Jet2 Holidays that initially stated they would resume their programme on the 1st May when the travel ban was originally announced. The FCO advice is currently for an "indefinite" period, so nobody can 100% hang their hat on any date. We as a country can get planes and airports up and running on a set date, but where are they going to fly to if other country's borders are still closed?

Jet2 Holidays are one of very few Tour Operators who are operating withing the realms of the Package Travel Regulations and giving full refunds so hats off to them, but compare them with the likes of Tui (which is no great surprise considering their consistent poor customers relations!)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The same Jet2 Holidays that initially stated they would resume their programme on the 1st May when the travel ban was originally announced. The FCO advice is currently for an "indefinite" period, so nobody can 100% hang their hat on any date. We as a country can get planes and airports up and running on a set date, but where are they going to fly to if other country's borders are still closed?

Jet2 Holidays are one of very few Tour Operators who are operating withing the realms of the Package Travel Regulations and giving full refunds so hats off to them, but compare them with the likes of Tui (which is no great surprise considering their consistent poor customers relations!)

Other countries may be opening up before us. For example, Austria are allowing hotels and restaurants to open from mid May.

Simon Calder obviously mentioned the FCO advice as having to change, as a prerequisite.

A much smaller travel industry than before, with lower capacity. Calder said quite deliberately so in 2020 and 2021, to restrict supply, so Europe’s tour operators and airline can raise prices and swell profit margins, to recoup their huge losses from this lockdown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here