Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Summer Holidays

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Out of interest, if someone accepts a credit note and the company then goes bust, is the note of any value?
On insurance, my Natwest account inclusive insurance has just changed to not include the virus.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Out of interest, if someone accepts a credit note and the company then goes bust, is the note of any value?
On insurance, my Natwest account inclusive insurance has just changed to not include the virus.

The credit note would be worthless if the company goes bust hence request monetary refund.

My Direct Line Travel insurance has changed as well

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
On the evening Argus it says that the foreign office has just announced we should postpone all foreign travel indefinitely.

The article states that this effectively means holidays are cancelled. I don't know how truthful that is, but that's what it says.

The foreign office did tweet that but the implications are unclear. It seems the airlines and holiday companies will now have to set timescales themselves- e.g. cancel all booking for the next 14 days and issue refunds up to then. Seems like it will lead to inconsistencies between companies.

501afefd0f59c4e61bb217f02189ed27.jpg

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
The foreign office did tweet that but the implications are unclear. It seems the airlines and holiday companies will now have to set timescales themselves- e.g. cancel all booking for the next 14 days and issue refunds up to then. Seems like it will lead to inconsistencies between companies.

501afefd0f59c4e61bb217f02189ed27.jpg

Mad isn't it I;m meant to be going to Greece in 10 weeks. One of us that is going to go is in her 70s. Even if they lift it by then, will it be safe for her?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You would be listed as a creditor, but in the group at the bottom of the pile, so would receive nowt.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m going with flights starting up again mid June

It’s not going to be much longer till places like Vegas/Disney etc really ramp up the pressure on trump

It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out

But Americans and American politicians will be very against foreigners in their minds coming in to infect them. It will take a long time before European holidaymakers can simply fly into Orlando, LA or Vegas and start their holiday.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I’ve got worldwide travel insurance covering the whole summer but haven’t checked terms yet,

We were supposed to be at a wedding in Greece and I had a weekend in Bilbao for the Euros and both are booked through booking.com and look to be non-refundable!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

I did read that credit notes would be ATOL protected if that applies to the original booking. Not sure how that would pan out though if lots of companies go bust.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I was booked to go to Turkey at the end of March, this was cancelled and Travel Republic said they would issue a credit note, however I have now been given the option of a refund, which I have requested. How long it will take I don’t know.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But Americans and American politicians will be very against foreigners in their minds coming in to infect them. It will take a long time before European holidaymakers can simply fly into Orlando, LA or Vegas and start their holiday.

This is why I think it’s going to get interesting

Some of the politicians will, but some will want to start making money and appeasing donors again

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I have a trip to the Isle of Wright booked for May.

They have advised for April bookers (resort currently closed) that they can either re-book for the current year or next year.

Waiting to see if mine is cancelled, expect it will be although I would rather have the full case refund. I paid the balance by credit card for section 75 protection.

I appreciate I need them to cancel otherwise I am at the mercy of their cancellation policy however can anyone advise if I am
In my right to get a full cash refund either directly or through the card (if the resort refuses?)

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Supposed to be off to Cyprus this month, also not heard anything from TUI. I read Simon Calder, the Independent's Travel Editor, piece that said that refunds no longer had to be given and a credit note for future travel would be issued but can't find it now on a search.

Is this the piece?

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...e-warning-fco-uk-government-a9448986.html?amp

'The Independent’s travel correspondent Simon Calder advises paying up the full balance where possible.

He says: “It may sound counter-intuitive to pay out more money to guarantee either a holiday or your money back, but that is the way the system works

“If the trip is cancelled, you can expect a full refund of the whole cost of the trip – even if you have to wait some time.

“Deciding not to pay the balance would mean that you lose the deposit – and, even if the trip is subsequently cancelled, you cannot get the money back.”.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is why I think it’s going to get interesting

Some of the politicians will, but some will want to start making money and appeasing donors again

That’s already happened and happening, interestingly from normally contrasting political viewpoints.

Business and money obsessed Trump can’t bear this, he’s want America back to normal with weeks.

Sweden’s PM and their chief epidemiologist are refusing to put Sweden in a British style lockdown, deeming the damage to their economy (and mental health) would be more damaging and longterm.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That’s already happened and happening, interestingly from normally contrasting political viewpoints.

Business and money obsessed Trump can’t bear this, he’s want America back to normal with weeks.

Sweden’s PM and their chief epidemiologist are refusing to put Sweden in a British style lockdown, deeming the damage to their economy (and mental health) would be more damaging and longterm.

I actually agree with the Swedish PM - the fall out will have more impact that the virus.

Another reason I think things will be up and running faster than people think.

As with millions others I’ve had a holiday affected - I’ve been mulling over what it would take for me to go - If there was a test to show I was all clear when home I would go if they opened Vegas up again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I actually agree with the Swedish PM - the fall out will have more impact that the virus.

Another reason I think things will be up and running faster than people think.

As with millions others I’ve had a holiday affected - I’ve been mulling over what it would take for me to go - If there was a test to show I was all clear when home I would go if they opened Vegas up again.

I’m undecided on that. Once the final dust settles, if far more Swedes have died with COVID per capita than Danes or Norwegians, OR VICE VERSA, it will certainly be a talking point.

I know it’s First World, but I do look forward to holidaying again. For those who survive this in body and financially, we’ll certainly appreciate all the things we took for granted.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
The credit note would be worthless if the company goes bust hence request monetary refund.

My Direct Line Travel insurance has changed as well
This is the grey area currently - ABTA have "advised" that any Refund Credit Note issued by an ABTA member would carry their full protection. Wording on these credits is key, it doesn't appear to include Vouchers. There is also the thought that any credit note attached to an ATOL booking would be protected bt ATOL but the CAA who administer ATOL have yet to update their regulations.

I guess most of it, like most things in travel at the moment, is conjecture and we will only know for definite once it is actually tested.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Technically, I'm sure Simon Calder is right but I have cancelled the two outstanding payments due on my credit card and am quite prepared to argue it out with my travel agent and/or use S75 claim rather than fork out some £2.5k for a holiday to Dubai in June which is highly unlikely to be possible and argue the toss over travel vouchers for a holiday I'm highly unlikely to want at all now!

Prefer to have a bird in the hand (so to speak) than two in the bush....!

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Technically, I'm sure Simon Calder is right but I have cancelled the two outstanding payments due on my credit card and am quite prepared to argue it out with my travel agent and/or use S75 claim rather than fork out some £2.5k for a holiday to Dubai in June which is highly unlikely to be possible and argue the toss over travel vouchers for a holiday I'm highly unlikely to want at all now!

Prefer to have a bird in the hand (so to speak) than two in the bush....!
This is the absurdity of the situation and I'm unaware of who and how you booked it, but if your holiday has not officially been cancelled, then normal T&Cs could apply and this may be classed as a standard cancellation and subject to normal cancellation charges if you've stopped payment. Therefore S75 wouldn't apply and Simon Calder is correct in this information.

Simple rule is unless officially cancelled, carry on as normal.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here