Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Summer Holidays

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Many of us would have booked our Summer holidays some months back and paid our deposit before Covid-19 came around. Soon it will be time to pay the full balance for those holidays in July /August. What are the chances of us being able traveling to travel to Spain / Greece or wider and is it worth paying the full balance for a holiday that maybe severely restricted or it gets cancelled and then it’s the pain of claiming it back? We are due to go to Spain the last 2 weeks in July, and I am torn between paying the balance for the holiday and travelling and it not being as we expected due to restrictions (we are going to a hotel / resort we have been to many time so know what to normally expect) or just saying we loss our deposit not pay the balance and wait until 2021

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who’s the company ? Most have allowed deposits to be paid up to a few weeks before travel so you can decide. Difficult to say, as you mention some countries may well enforce quarantine for anyone arriving.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We are waiting for TUI to refund our holiday that we were supposed to be going on tomorrow for 7 days in Madeira....they cancelled it 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard a dickybird since.

We have a holiday in Crete booked in August and yes, we need to pay an extra £300 next week over the £200 deposit.

My concern is holiday insurance at the end of this. Our policy with MoreThan, was due to roll over on 31st March and we were told it was cancelled...so we phoned around for a policy for the next year and didn’t get a single quote.

This will kill the tourist industry that so many countries rely on if no one can get insurance.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm no expert, but I would say there is little or no chance of non essential foreign travel this summer.

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton
Many of us would have booked our Summer holidays some months back and paid our deposit before Covid-19 came around. Soon it will be time to pay the full balance for those holidays in July /August. What are the chances of us being able traveling to travel to Spain / Greece or wider and is it worth paying the full balance for a holiday that maybe severely restricted or it gets cancelled and then it’s the pain of claiming it back? We are due to go to Spain the last 2 weeks in July, and I am torn between paying the balance for the holiday and travelling and it not being as we expected due to restrictions (we are going to a hotel / resort we have been to many time so know what to normally expect) or just saying we loss our deposit not pay the balance and wait until 2021

I would pay your balance, if FCO advise against travel then you will either be refunded in full or given a credit note to use next year, worst case scenario the company go bust then you will get your money back through ABTA / ATOL bonding (assuming you have booked with an ABTA bonded company). If you don’t pay your balance you will lose deposits paid.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Be aware that none of the major travel insurers will issue new policies at the moment.

Worth bearing in mind as, even if this crisis goes away and we're all allowed out again, you could still find yourself up the creek if some other calamity befalls you or your family before a planned holiday later this year.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would pay your balance, if FCO advise against travel then you will either be refunded in full or given a credit note to use next year, worst case scenario the company go bust then you will get your money back through ABTA / ATOL bonding (assuming you have booked with an ABTA bonded company). If you don’t pay your balance you will lose deposits paid.

Given the uncertainty around the virus and whether it's seasonal or unaffected by warmer weather personally I would be pushing for A full refund rather than a credit note for next year where there is no guarantee you would hevable to use. But accept its down to booking conditions.

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton
Given the uncertainty around the virus and whether it's seasonal or unaffected by warmer weather personally I would be pushing for A full refund rather than a credit note for next year where there is no guarantee you would hevable to use. But accept its down to booking conditions.

Agree, but cash is vital to travel companies staying afloat in this crisis so they will want to do credit wherever possible.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Had a holiday booked for Tuesday, TUI ‘issued’ the refund on the 18th March, not heard anything since. I wouldn’t be putting my money into a holiday right now that’s for certain, if this goes on for a few months TUI and other travel companies could be in serious trouble.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not expecting to be able to use the flights (to Miami) we have booked for October half-term, and I'm not going to book any other components such as hotel and car hire etc.

I just don't see how travel can take place in any short order as each country will be going through roughly the same thing, having gone through a horrible period, be coming out the other side, but still facing the reality of vast swathes of the population being vulnerable to catching the virus, with no immunity and no vaccine available.

Countries in Asia are starting to see signs of "the second wave" and making moves to stop travellers from coming in and spreading the virus again:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/world/asia/coronavirus-china-hong-kong-singapore-south-korea.html

"Even when the number of new cases starts to fall, travel barriers and bans in many places may persist until a vaccine or treatment is found. The risk otherwise is that the infection could be reintroduced inside their borders, especially given the prevalence of asymptomatic people who might unknowingly carry the virus with them.

Following a recent uptick in cases tied to international travelers, China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan barred foreigners from entering altogether in recent days. Japan has barred visitors from most of Europe, and moved Wednesday to deny entry to travelers from 49 more countries, including the United States. South Korea imposed stricter controls, requiring incoming foreigners to quarantine in government facilities for 14 days upon arrival."​

The only way I can see overseas travel commencing again in any kind of volume is the establishment of some sort of internationally recognised "Covid-19 safe" certificate which will show you have been tested, have had the virus already and pose minimal risk of infection.

Those who can't prove they've had it will either be barred from entry to many countries or will have to quarantine for 14 days (possibly more) upon entry. Such a measure would rule out most forms of holiday-making.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’m looking at a short break in the UK in December ...but only on the basis I can cancel and get my dosh back up until the day I hopefully go...live in hope

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Don’t pay the balance, there will be no overseas travelling for at least 6 months.

Claim back the deposit when the holiday or flights are cancelled by them, from the operator, or card company if the former are ********s.

Don’t be tempted into helping their cashflow for the next 15 months, by accepting a wonderful looking offer for 2021. See how it all pans out first.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
We had a trip booked to Rhodes with TUI for June but I managed to amend it online to August 2021. Hoping things are ok by then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

How much have you paid out so far and how much is the balance that is due?

There seems to be plenty of sensible advice above re: ABTA and rescheduling etc.
However if you've only paid say, 10% and stand to lose £200ish I would consider taking the loss on the chin and just gamble that you may be able to get it back somehow.
If you've already paid out say 50% I might try and make more enquiries about my consumer rights, i.e. Credit card cover, holiday insurance, rescheduling and ABTA.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Lost our April week in Sardinia, booked with a Tour Company who are currently playing silly buggers about refund (want to give us credit for a future holiday but I would rather have my 2K back thank you).

Almost certain our September Croatia week will be off as well.

Motorcycle Tour of the South Downs it is then!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Supposed to be off to Cyprus this month, also not heard anything from TUI. I read Simon Calder, the Independent's Travel Editor, piece that said that refunds no longer had to be given and a credit note for future travel would be issued but can't find it now on a search. I certainly won't be booking anything abroad for the rest of the year. If this settles down then hopefully The Manor in Devon will be open in the Christmas holidays. Another of our favourite businesses who must be facing massive uncertainty - they certainly employ a lot a people in that area.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I have travel insurance within my Direct line house insurance - will be checking this out - has anyone heard if they or others have changed the policy at all ??

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Back in January I booked flights to Italy for August with my family as a surprise for my parents for their 50 wedding anniversary........doh!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think 2020 is pretty much cancelled...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have travel insurance within my Direct line house insurance - will be checking this out - has anyone heard if they or others have changed the policy at all ??

So do we and they wrote to all policy holders recently stating new rules

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here