Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Living without a balcony or garden

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s very easy to criticise people going out and about if you have a garden. Who on here is living in a flat with no garden or balcony? It must be really tough, how are you coping?

I can’t imagine how tough this must be if you live in a flat with young kids and no outside space of your own.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not everyone has a choice but I agree not having outside space makes this current very difficult situation even more difficult. When I was much younger , I choose to buy a smaller flat with a garden rather than a much bigger flat but with no outside space . Feeling fresh air and having a garden to sit in and relax in without having to go out for me was a big issue . Kids especially need to run around and burn off energy. Normally a park is an option , just not at the moment . No one could have predict this though .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Its shit, really shit. Top floor, 1 bed flat

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Its shit, really shit.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I genuinely feel empathy for the hundreds of thousands (if not millions ) of people in your situation.

If the 'lockdown' goes on for much longer ( and I think it should and will) a lot more thought needs to be given on how, when, and where to exercise. It is as essential as self-distancing and washing your hands for 20 seconds, yet it seems to have by-passed peoples imaginations.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I live in a flat with a small north facing balcony. Very frustrating on a day like this that we can’t sit in the sun. We wanted to move recently but we can’t sell the flat until they’ve completed testing on the cladding.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Agreed - While making the sacrifice and staying at home is something we all must do, some of the vitriol aimed at those seeking some time outside should be measured with a bit of empathy on how it must feel to be cooped up in a small indoor space. I honestly can't imagine.....

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I genuinely feel empathy for the hundreds of thousands (if not millions ) of people in your situation.

If the 'lockdown' goes on for much longer ( and I think it should and will) a lot more thought needs to be given on how, when, and where to exercise. It is as essential as self-distancing and washing your hands for 20 seconds, yet it seems to have by-passed peoples imaginations.

I mean the government have explicitly stated that you can exercise once a day, by walking, running or cycling.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It’s very easy to criticise people going out and about if you have a garden. Who on here is living in a flat with no garden or balcony? It must be really tough, how are you coping?

I can’t imagine how tough this must be if you live in a flat with young kids and no outside space of your own.
Depends on the person.

I've no need of going outdoors, and could happily live in a bunker ( with power ) for months. I mean, I like the outdoors, but don't miss it either.

I now only go out to work ( Grrrr... ) and to transfer my daughter to and from her split home ( Mr Gove clarified that this is allowed ).

But I know others who do need to go out, so it must be tough for some.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Small one flat apartment... no kids though (and no lockdown either tbf, though living like it).

Its alright so far, though if this goes on for another two months or so I'm gonna start to get new ways of crazy. Also the fact that I dont know the door code to my apartment complex is a bit of a challenging situation as well.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Making the most of my daily walk and foray into the outside world, but it really can be a kicker at times. At least being warm in the last couple of days has meant the windows can be opened for longer and allow a bit more fresh air in, but it still sucks. It also doubles my anger at those who do have outdoors space to work with (garden or balcony) but STILL insist on flouting the restrictions.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There's a colleague at work I can think of, who is a mother to a baby, living in a flat who now has to look after her and WFH at the same time, whilst stuck in with her boyfriend all the time, with no garden to go and sit in to take a breather. She's not going to be the only one in that situation. She didn't see any of this coming either.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Agreed - While making the sacrifice and staying at home is something we all must do, some of the vitriol aimed at those seeking some time outside should be measured with a bit of empathy on how it must feel to be cooped up in a small indoor space. I honestly can't imagine.....

I thought that the majority of people in the UK were allowed out for exercise once a day?

I would agree with the vitriol of families driving miles to a beauty spot as happened recently.

I am not allowed out in public at all here in Malta as I am over 65 :(
Fortunately we have a small yard.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Not sure I could do it, although the other day I just stood upstairs for a bit looking out of an open window and that was nice.

For those of us in Brighton & Hove we're lucky to have an abundance of places to go and be outside, its also nice to have it relatively to ourselves at the moment.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There's a colleague at work I can think of, who is a mother to a baby, living in a flat who now has to look after her and WFH at the same time, whilst stuck in with her boyfriend all the time, with no garden to go and sit in to take a breather. She's not going to be the only one in that situation. She didn't see any of this coming either.

I take it Alexander Park is closed ???

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
One way to half the amount of people taking their exercise en masse could be to have people who's surname starts with a letter in the first half of the alphabet to exercise between day-break and 1.00 pm, and the second half of the alphabet from 1.00 pm until dusk?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One way to half the amount of people taking their exercise en masse could be to have people who's surname starts with a letter in the first half of the alphabet to exercise between day-break and 1.00 pm, and the second half of the alphabet from 1.00 pm until dusk?

Why rule out pre-dawn or post-dusk?

I would regularly undertake my long run (10-13 miles) on a Sunday evening, leaving home around 9pm, even in the middle of Winter. I would rarely see anyone out at all - I'd have more encounters with foxes than humans.

I had intended to go out around 6am this morning (not much before dawn, I appreciate) but couldn't be arsed to get out of bed. I now expect to run late this evening when all the sun-seekers will have retreated home.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would regularly undertake my long run (10-13 miles) on a Sunday evening, leaving home around 9pm, even in the middle of Winter. I would rarely see anyone out at all - I'd have more encounters with foxes than humans.
Maybe a hygiene issue?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mrs AR and moi are very very lucky to have our allotment to go to, and do appreciate it.
Our garden is small, but is overlooked somewhat.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I take it Alexander Park is closed ???

Alexandra Park you mean? :p

It's a difficult one though, some people are happy to take their kids out, some want them indoors. Play parks are closed, aren't they?

It's a fantastic park as you know, but it's certainly looked quieter whenever I've gone past it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here