Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Living without a balcony or garden

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In a case like yours, I’d say you’d be allowed to go shopping on your bin day and you’d also be permitted to go at the weekend on behalf of the elderly/vulnerable relatives who’ve asked for your help. Effectively you’d just be taking their spot on Saturday or Sunday. That’s why my plan keeps weekends free, to buy time for the people who really need it.

I haven’t left the house since 21st March due to illness but I’m pretty much over it now and we are overdue a shop so no doubt I’ll be at Holmbush tomorrow scrapping it out for a bag of pasta. Going by the reports on Facebook, the people of Shoreham seem to be behaving quite well.

Glad to hear you are feeling better

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I was thinking about this the other day during a discussion about how to limit people’s trips out. I don’t think surnames or birthdays work as there will be too many awkward cases (people living with relatives with different names etc). So you need a way of categorising people by property.

My suggestion? Use bin days. Every house has one. My rule would be that you can only use your nearest supermarket on your bin day. For me, that would be Tesco Holmbush on Wednesdays. Best of all, it means only 1/5 of people will be out each day Monday to Friday, keeping more people at home and limiting the risk to those who are out on their allocated day. It also keeps weekends free for supermarkets to prioritise elderly/vulnerable customers. The same rule would also apply to all local food shops.

If my rule was implemented, the only people on the road would be those on their shopping day or those travelling to key jobs. Everyone else, lock them up.

I genuinely admire the intent behind your proposed solution, but fear it is not workable. As an example, see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47414500

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
3 weeks into a total lockdown here. Only allowed out for groceries or medicine and only between 5am and 8pm.

2 of us in a 1 bedroom apartment with no outside space except a balcony you can put a single chair on if turn sideways.

Doing OK but hoping it's really only one more week for us. Not sure it will be until the 12th April comes around though which was the origional period. Want to get back to work as self employed sports coach means zero work and no 80% help from government etc!

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
It’s very easy to criticise people going out and about if you have a garden. Who on here is living in a flat with no garden or balcony? It must be really tough, how are you coping?

I can’t imagine how tough this must be if you live in a flat with young kids and no outside space of your own.

It's just as hard living on your own in a flat. I have all the mod-cons but I find it impossible to stay cooped up all day, especially in this weather. Fortunately we are allowed out for exercise.

There's still a lot of cars on the road and there's no way they are all making essential journeys...

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We're lucky to have a decent sized garden especially in front of our property so me and the other half sat out in the sun for a couple of hours this morning reading the papers (at least 20 feet from the boundary wall of our garden before the road) and some bloke who I'd never seen before shouted from a distance that we should'nt be out in the sun as Matt Hancock had said 'you shouldn't be sunbathing' - 'it was on the news last night', and 'don't you listen'! WFT

Firstly we had not left our property to even go for a walk, and secondly we were taking in the sun at least 6 meters away from a very quiet public street in our own garden. I really wanted to give this guy a mouthfull back but my wife persuaded me not to get involved.

Soured what was an otherwise lovely quiet morning.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was enjoying sitting out in our back garden this afternoon until a neighbour two doors down lit a bonfire to burn rubbish. Thick acrid smoke invading the garden and indoors because we had some windows open!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
First floor flat here. One minute from the park.

Hate it right now. I'll take my walk in the evening when few are around. As long as no busy body wants to out me for following the rules yet being the only person out.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
1st floor flat, no balcony and a 3 year, almost 4 year old. So it's tricky, can have our double doors open but clearly it isn't the same. Broke my heart yesterday when she said 'I wish we had a garden' whilst looking out the window. Even went for a little walk last night before bed with her and my girlfriend on her bike and it's literally round the block and then it's difficult trying to explain how we've literally got to go straight home, but I know it's for the best.

If nothing else has given me a kick up the arse in terms of getting something sorted and buying somewhere!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
1st floor flat, no balcony and a 3 year, almost 4 year old. So it's tricky, can have our double doors open but clearly it isn't the same. Broke my heart yesterday when she said 'I wish we had a garden' whilst looking out the window. Even went for a little walk last night before bed with her and my girlfriend on her bike and it's literally round the block and then it's difficult trying to explain how we've literally got to go straight home, but I know it's for the best.

If nothing else has given me a kick up the arse in terms of getting something sorted and buying somewhere!

I had a similar issue with our 4 year old at the weekend. Took him out for some fresh air as in a 3rd floor flat with no balcony and his instinct is to run towards other kids. Broke my heart to tell him he couldn't

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It’s very easy to criticise people going out and about if you have a garden. Who on here is living in a flat with no garden or balcony? It must be really tough, how are you coping?

I can’t imagine how tough this must be if you live in a flat with young kids and no outside space of your own.

I have no outside space at all. It is very hard. I think the Tories just assume everyone has a garden.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012

It is not my situation but most people in Spain and Italy live in flats and lockdown is much stricter there. I pity my friends there ...they must be going crazy.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is not my situation but most people in Spain and Italy live in flats and lockdown is much stricter there. I pity my friends there ...they must be going crazy.

Sent from my RNE-L21 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Especially as the Mediterraneans are much more social and the weather is really heating up there.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Small one flat apartment... no kids though (and no lockdown either tbf, though living like it).

Its alright so far, though if this goes on for another two months or so I'm gonna start to get new ways of crazy. Also the fact that I dont know the door code to my apartment complex is a bit of a challenging situation as well.

Ironic that you don’t know the door code to where you live yet you have a direct line of communication with the CEO of a foreign football club, you need to to get your priorities in life re ordered sunshine otherwise you’ll forever be stealing oxygen.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ironic that you don’t know the door code to where you live yet you have a direct line of communication with the CEO of a foreign football club, you need to to get your priorities in life re ordered sunshine otherwise you’ll forever be stealing oxygen.

Random kid told it to me yesterday so you dont have to worry

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nice idea, but who will check everybody's surname to make sure they were in the right time slot.

As with the current restrictions, it would have to rely on people doing the right thing. If as many people did this as are currently obeying government instructions it would reduce the number of people out at any one time Shirley?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I appreciate what you are saying , what I would say is that living brunswick area is central Hove and to me doesn’t feel like city living at all, more like small town living , especially if you have previously lived in a big city like London or Birmingham . Everything is so easily walkable in central Hove and you are living by the sea , which is good for your mental wellbeing apparently !

I don't disagree, my mother lives a few streets west and as a bonafide pensioner loves the convenience. I'm clearly just a bit more bumpkin.
given most of out neighbours have moved over from Btn/'Ove sods law says I'll end up in Goring :wink:

I do like art Deco!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here