Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Other heroes

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Supermarket workers, corner shop owners and delivery drivers. Keeping the country going by having to work, whilst many others including me are much safer inside.

Spoke to a young woman in Waitrose tonight and thanked her for continuing to keep me in food. She told me she I was the first person to say that and the staff were just getting over the abuse they received when the shelves were bare.

When you go for your shop or receive a delivery let's all say thank you and consider how they are feeling.

We are relying on these people.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Care home workers, especially those working with mental health patients - patients who lack the mental capacity for social distancing, and can be very tactile and demanding, and on a bad day not unknown to bestow bodily fluids (and solids) upon their carers, who have no PPE and considerably lower pay levels than they would have working for the NHS.

I salute them too, particularly my youngest daughter, about whom I worry like hell.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Care home workers, especially those working with mental health patients - patients who lack the mental capacity for social distancing, and can be very tactile and demanding, and on a bad day not unknown to bestow bodily fluids (and solids) upon their carers, who have no PPE and considerably lower pay levels than they would have working for the NHS.

I salute them too, particularly my youngest daughter, about whom I worry like hell.

As someone whose mother spent the last couple of years in a very caring care home I applaud this. It’s a hard enough job without having to do it in a pandemic.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

And care workers too who are not care home based who care for people at home and assist them to carry on living an independent life with dignity and compassion.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
There are plenty of people working on in essential services, sometimes at personal risk.
Binmen, bus and train drivers, power workers, sewage workers etc.
The amazing doctors,nurses, health care assistants care home workers.... I could not take their jobs in normal times, let alone now

Edit...Just heard that five London bus drivers have died from it.....oh dear!

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Just got my normal Sunday Morning Paper from the Storrington Newsagent and took time to speak and thank the Lady that works there for her efforts in helping to keep it open.

5AM start every day for her and I'll bet get she gets paid peanuts.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
And my Dad's a "Hero".

Isolated for 3 weeks now. Not been able to get out to his little Working Men's Social Club. Not a drop of whisky has passed his lips during that time and he is still hilarious to chat to on the phone. The only thing getting him down he said at 82 is that he is losing his stunning good looks..

Expanding by saying. "Do you think you could go on line and get me a pair of those ""hair things"" that you use" ?

Why I enquired ?

"Coz I'm starting to lose all my stunningly handsome good looks" he responded.

By this time I am trying to hold my laugh in and not belittle what may well be genuine concerns. Before seriously saying what do you mean.

To which be very seriously blurts out

"I am starting to look like a cross between Tintin and Wurzel Gumnige.

I have got 3 hairs growing out the top that I could put Hilda Ogden's rollers in.

And the sides and the back are that wild I look like I should be in a farmer's field with a broomstick up my arse"

If I had been drinking anything at the time I would have spat it out all over the place laughing. So my Dad's my hero in all this for keeping his sense of humour.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Posties. Always have a chat with my local one if our paths intersect. He's always got dropped off by van at the end of my street and at various points on his round. Due to social distancing he can no longer get in the van. Reckons he's walking an extra fifteen miles a day now :clap2:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Definitely a big thumbs up from me for the bin men. An essential job that not many fancy in normal times but really important with the current crisis.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Maybe the telecom engineers who are critical workers. Everybody using social media should be thankful to them. Without them the faults wouldn't get fixed

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I’d like to thank BP who are supplying free diesel to Emergency ambulances which hopefully will release funds to equip us with the proper PPE gear. Plus another thanks to Wild Bean who not only look after us during this crises but the whole year round.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There are so many.
To anyone still working whilst many are getting paid not to work, I salute you.
To my Daughter, a carer, who is putting in 16+ hour shifts and staying away from us (parents), I salute you.
To my Mum, 86 years old and had sold her house to move in to a dream cottage but it all fell through. Living alone with no visitors, I salute you.
To the Amazon driver who should have delivered last week and to whom I would have screamed at by now but understand the pressure and I can wait, I salute you.

To everyone on my posh estate who think they are above the 8pm clapforcarers, I hope you don't need them.
To everyone in the Luxford Close area who had a B'B'Q and party, really? Why?

And to everyone on NSC, I wish you all well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here