Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool are the next club to announce furloughing non playing staff.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Any club that furloughs their workers should be banned from the next two transfer windows until they stop.

Edit to add there are people going into work knowing it could result in a death of themselves or their family whilst these businesses are trying to bleed as much as they can from the tax these people are paying.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It'll be interesting to see of those calling Liverpool ***** now direct their opprobrium towards Tony Bloom and our club if this happens.

The only slight mitigating circumstance for Mr Bloom is the club lost £20m last season.
It's only made a profit once, last season.
Was running at huge loses for the previous x seasons, granted that was Mr Bloom's choice.
Sure TB didn't sign up for a global pandemic just as he was on the verge of not spending £20-£30m a season

As said though that's somewhat slight by virtue of the hundreds of millions that's flowed into the club over the Premier League years.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
PL.jpg

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
A few reasonably high profile premier league footballers should back a plan to help those less fortunate.
Once the ball started rolling who would want to be seen as the ones not helping.
Shame them all into giving.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A few reasonably high profile premier league footballers should back a plan to help those less fortunate.
Once the ball started rolling who would want to be seen as the ones not helping.

Quite a few do, but keep it quiet.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Having read the article, if the PFAs position does not change, fvck ‘em all, clubs and players. I and many others will be done with top level sport in general.

It is not about being seen to give a charitable ‘drop in the ocean’ donation from the PL to the NHS, it is about saving the incomes of thousands of workers less fortunate than the self serving wankers that seem to be in control of the weight of opinion at the players union.

Just utterly astonishing.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Plenty of footballers do amazing work already for people less fortunate and im not into shaming people-its counter productive.......but i understand where you are coming from.
Currently the professional football community bar some notable cases are collectively playing an absolute shocker......they simply seem completely out of touch and living on a different planet.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This may be the final nail in the coffin of my love of top flight football.

Sounds like it is going to be happening at Brighton soon, all while the highly paid players stand by and watch.

If I were still living in Brighton I would be throwing a flirtatious eye in the direction of Whitehawk or Eastbourne Boro.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
[TWEET]1246466880753340416[/TWEET]

Are these figures accurate? All i have found is 125 million pre tax profits but I think that is for the previous year.

Either way.

This is an astonishing decision. Disgusting and astonishing.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
What I haven’t seen taken into account, if players take a pay cut, is the effect on the total tax take by HMRC.

If players take a 30% pay cut then that will be a hefty reduction in the amount of tax they are paying and in addition the players will have no control over how the money saved by the club is being used.

Far better IMO for the players, through the PFA, to set up a trust from their after tax income to be used for the benefit of the local community and NHS. Such a trust could continue to do good long after the current crisis is over.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And those elite footballers for the elite clubs have not stepped up and taken action themselves to ensure that all of those people employed to cook and clean for them or mow their pitches or answer the calls from their fans are safe financially.
Billionaires and millionaires who own, run and play football for these clubs are NOT volunteering to protect those 'beneath' them because they are special.
If the club is furloughing all of the non-playing staff why not furlough the playing staff too. If things are really that bad, you start with where you can gain the greatest benefit for the business with the minimal disruption.

Furlough the first team, furlough the Board of Directors, furlough those most able to take the hit, not the ones with the quietest voice.

I am appalled by the actions of this sport and if BHA jumps on this bandwagon I will not be renewing my season ticket after the 20/21 season. This club has consistently shown a better attitude that most and, to now, continues to lead the way with actions like the STH payment holiday and the senior staff, but I cannot clap and cheer a team that refused to do the right thing by the people who make their lives so easy.

This in ****ing spades.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What I haven’t seen taken into account, if players take a pay cut, is the effect on the total tax take by HMRC.

If players take a 30% pay cut then that will be a hefty reduction in the amount of tax they are paying and in addition the players will have no control over how the money saved by the club is being used.

Far better IMO for the players, through the PFA, to set up a trust from their after tax income to be used for the benefit of the local community and NHS. Such a trust could continue to do good long after the current crisis is over.

Absolutely, a brilliant idea. I would rather the players kept their dosh than see it go back to furlonging boards and directors.

It must be said though that I would trust our powers that be to do the right thing with it. Divert it into the Albion in the Community scheme and keep paying the lower paid workers.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
This behavior by the richest clubs in the world really is the straw that broke the camels back for me. I love football and have played it, watched it and loved it all my life but the last 10 years i am really finding it hard to relate to this working mans game.

As a Spurs fan i am so disgusted by their actions that i just feel ashamed to support a club like that. These footballs clubs abusing a system designed to help smaller business like the one i work for where over half my company has been furloughed and i probably will be in a few weeks are so out of touch it's unreal.

I ****ing hate everything about football currently. Brighton have done some good things of late, calling the elderly season ticket holders to see that they were ok was nice, but it's all too rare.

I have been thinking about boycotting top flight footy, cancel sky and BT and watch non league footy. Unfortunately i like all the other sports too.

The government have to stop this shit. Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool you are out of touch *****. Makes my blood boil, when people are struggling for food, struggling to pay the bills or even dying.

You won't see them furlough the players, just the little dispensable person.

Sorry for the rant but these threads are annoying me more than the Brexit ones, which i didn't think was possible.

Absolutely. The Premier League is morally corrupt. Most have mega wealthy owners. Furloughing the lowest paid at taxpayers expense is obscene.

The attitude of the PFA and players is arrogant beyond belief. If it does not change many will think of not renewing their season tickets

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Its a puzzler isnt it.

What are the effects of a ridiculously highly paid player pay cut on the total tax take for HMRC
V
What are the effects of ridiculously highly paid player pay cut on the financial well-being of their club and non playing staff

Tough choice isnt it

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Its a puzzler isnt it.

What are the effects of a ridiculously highly paid player pay cut on the total tax take for HMRC
V
What are the effects of ridiculously highly paid player pay cut on the financial well-being of their club and non playing staff

Tough choice isnt it

IF any pay cut accepted by players could be ring fenced to ensure that other staff were paid in full without tax payers assistance and weren’t used to support the P&L of the club then it wouldn’t be a “tough choice”.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So my company has revenues of around £1b globally and a UK wage bill of around £500k a week. We have taken the Govt scheme to furlough the vast majority of our staff but because none of them play professional football its alright? The Hypocrisy of a number on here beggars belief. Theatres furloughed their staff weeks ago as did other entertainment venues but because the media told you to be outraged about PL teams we are supposed to be disgusted? Business being run like businesses shock. If they weren't people would criticise that too.

Football clubs are not run in a vacuum they have zero revenue and considerable costs, because some staff get a big wage packet makes not a jot to the fundamentals of a company. They have the same financial pressures as any other company.

We've yet to see a player furloughed ..... I wonder why ? That's the real hypocracy - if you're trying to save a comany then furlough the highest paid.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
IF any pay cut accepted by players could be ring fenced to ensure that other staff were paid in full without tax payers assistance and weren’t used to support the P&L of the club then it wouldn’t be a “tough choice”.

Sort of what people are saying anyway, massively paid players taking a pay cut so that non playing staff dont need to made to use the tax payer assisted scheme.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here