Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool are the next club to announce furloughing non playing staff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1246437018093195265[/tweet]

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Starting to really think football is oblivious to the outside world and that the whole sport is going to struggle to ever win back credibility over their handling of this.

I am now of the option that 125 professional footballers (ie the squads of all 5 clubs currently taking the p1ss) are all f**king scum until they prove otherwise.

The only thing stopping me thinking the same of OUR players are the actions of our owner, chairman, tech director and manager.

Absolutely morally bankrupt. Jermaine Jenas trying to argue that the players haven't done anything because they 'want to know where the money goes' (Danny Rose says no problem with Premier League players giving up wages - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52163997) can do one in my opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thieving, grasping scum. There are plenty of other words for it, but it won't get through the swear filter. What utter, utter filth some of the owners of these PL clubs are proving themselves to be.

It will not be forgotten.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thieving, grasping scum. There are plenty of other words for it, but it won't get through the swear filter. What utter, utter filth some of the owners of these PL clubs are proving themselves to be.

It will not be forgotten.

I’m bias, but I’m delighted how the majority of Spurs fans have turned on the board over it, disgusting behaviour is not supported by fans thankfully.

It won’t be forgotten by the clubs own fans

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’m bias, but I’m delighted how the majority of Spurs fans have turned on the board over it, disgusting behaviour is not supported by fans thankfully.

It won’t be forgotten by the clubs own fans

Indeed.

And I'm not saying that clubs won't eventually have to succumb to furloughing staff, depending on how long this crisis goes on. But to do it at this stage, to be at the front of the queue with their hands out for emergency public funds right from the outset, when the likes of Liverpool and Spurs are absolutely WALLOWING in the multi-millions they've received from the PL and UEFA, is uttery beneath contempt.

The furlough scheme was categorically NOT rolled out with a view to propping up the elite Premier League clubs. Its absolutely sickening to see them abuse this crucial safety net that was put in place to save businesses and livelihoods. Because make no mistake, all of us will be paying that money back eventually.

Nobby Horton's Knob

Aug 4, 2019
Portsmuff
Liverpool Football Club. You are a disgrace. Your players and executives ought to be putting their hands in their pockets. Not taking advantage of a system designed to help those that are struggling. You ought to be ashamed.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
'Not feeling like a family member'

A member of staff who works at Liverpool, and did not wish to be named, told BBC Sport: "The club call their staff their family - I'm not feeling like a family member.

"Why is a club that turns over £100m using a government scheme for its staff when other businesses are more in need of it?

"I feel disappointed and I'm feeling that this government scheme could be used by businesses in trouble."

The member of stuff added that they were "disappointed, especially after Everton said they were not doing it".

Liverpool said they were aiming "to protect the best interests of the club and our staff in both the short term and the long term, with all such actions being undertaken following various internal discussions".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just for some perspective. Liverpool raked in around £70m from UEFA for winning the Champions League last year, and in 2019 received just short of £300m from broadcasters. Thats not including sponsorship.

So the fact they've now got the begging bowl out to plunder emergency public funds to pay their groundsmen, maintenance staff and security over the summer, and possibly beyond, is absolutely repugnant beyond words.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Indeed.

And I'm not saying that clubs won't eventually have to succumb to furloughing staff, depending on how long this crisis goes on. But to do it at this stage, to be at the front of the queue with their hands out for emergency public funds right from the outset, when the likes of Liverpool and Spurs are absolutely WALLOWING in the multi-millions they've received from the PL and UEFA, is uttery beneath contempt.

The furlough scheme was categorically NOT rolled out with a view to propping up the elite Premier League clubs. Its absolutely sickening to see them abuse this crucial safety net that was put in place to save businesses and livelihoods. Because make no mistake, all of us will be paying that money back eventually.

Absolutely

I don’t blame the players at this stage, it’s the owners

We both know if they take a pay cut scum like levy will just pocket the money.

The players would be better off setting up a charity and donating into that

Pay the staff that have been laid off and give the rest to NHS

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
My lil bro at Sun sport website is really trying to drum up some fan anger for his story, but is being constantly reminded that he cannot upset LFC.
Horse / Bolted ???

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Absolutely

I don’t blame the players at this stage, it’s the owners

We both know if they take a pay cut scum like levy will just pocket the money.

The players would be better off setting up a charity and donating into that

Pay the staff that have been laid off and give the rest to NHS

One player could give up one WEEKS salary and keep a groundstaff, cook, cleaner, etc on 100% salary for a year without ever resorting to public funds.

Yes Levy and Ashley and the others are truly deplorable but not one footballer at these clubs is stepping up and offering to keep one member of staff safe, fed and housed while protecting the public finances for other unfortunate people.

Utter scum. Every last one of them.

Let that sink in. Giving up one week's salary protects a work colleague's job for a year, without the need for public funds.
And yet none are breaking ranks with the dreadful attitude of the PFA.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One thing this catastrophic virus has done is to expose the best of people - and the worst.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There's a new order emerging in the PL and I’m proud that we, the Albion are one of the early leaders.

The lasting impact of the actions of teams like Liverpool and Spurs could be like the miners’ strike, they will never be forgiven for only thinking of themselves when the country needed them.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Interesting article in the athletic about this. A lot of players keen to take a cut but only when the owners confirm that the money saved will go to staff or contribute to support clubs in the lower leagues. Perhaps players don’t trust their employers/owners either.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Liverpool's next multi-million buy is going to be a bit awkward isn't it ?

Perhaps clubs should be banned from signing players until they pay back furlough money to the country ?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There seems to be two issues here;
1) the non playing staff being furloughed
2) the players (and other high earners at the club) sacrificing some of their salaries

From what I am reading 2) seems to be being addressed without the involvement of the PFA with the money sacrificed going to the NHS or other such charities, etc. So let’s not be too hard on the players unless we have good reason to.

What stinks is 1) where wealthy owners are just thinking of their own or shareholders pockets. If a PL club seriously cannot afford to pay the non players wages for a few months then how the hell did it’s directors pass the fit and proper test, eg Liverpool and Spurs with their sell out gates, massive sponsorships and Money from this and last years Champions League.

Disgraceful

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It feels like the PFA are the real villains in relation to the players doing something.....

As regards the likes of Spurs and Liverpool jumping - and very early - on to government (ie taxpayer - we’re all going to be paying for this for donkey’s years) handouts meant to cover those in real hardship, it’s beneath contempt. It’s disgusting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here