Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool are the next club to announce furloughing non playing staff.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Absolutely gobsmacked to read this but sadly not surprised. Would they really miss half of their weekly fortune. No of course they wouldn't and this is obscene.

Sad sad greedy times and there will be many angry people in the stands once this is over.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1246466880753340416[/TWEET]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Albion have been hinting that this is being seriously considered as well.

Some hard decisions will have to be made soon, unless certainty over next season can be established sooner rather than later.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So my company has revenues of around £1b globally and a UK wage bill of around £500k a week. We have taken the Govt scheme to furlough the vast majority of our staff but because none of them play professional football its alright? The Hypocrisy of a number on here beggars belief. Theatres furloughed their staff weeks ago as did other entertainment venues but because the media told you to be outraged about PL teams we are supposed to be disgusted? Business being run like businesses shock. If they weren't people would criticise that too.

Football clubs are not run in a vacuum they have zero revenue and considerable costs, because some staff get a big wage packet makes not a jot to the fundamentals of a company. They have the same financial pressures as any other company.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You'd think the players would dip into their pockets to help the staff out ???
Well that would basically be the players subsidising the owner's loss. Better they donate to where it is needed more ?

Clearly we all owe a lot to Tony, though.

Tricky one.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just for some perspective. Liverpool raked in around £70m from UEFA for winning the Champions League last year, and in 2019 received just short of £300m from broadcasters. Thats not including sponsorship.

So the fact they've now got the begging bowl out to plunder emergency public funds to pay their groundsmen, maintenance staff and security over the summer, and possibly beyond, is absolutely repugnant beyond words.

Not to forget they've got a new kit deal on a matter of weeks worth a minimum of £30m a year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Albion have been hinting that this is being seriously considered as well.

Some hard decisions will have to be made soon, unless certainty over next season can be established sooner rather than later.

Link? I have only seen a determination to pay non playing staff full wages. I can see playing staff being asked to do something though, and that is only right imo.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Skimming the Liverpool forums, most fans are ashamed and embarrassed, but unbelievably, in amongst them, there ARE still some defending it.

"Liverpool fans, pundits, journalists doing the club no favours here on matters they don’t fully understand. No doubt some complaining now will be the ones when we can’t compete in the transfer market or meet FFP.

The government scheme is there to protect jobs of employees who can’t work right now, which are the ones who LFC are putting on furlough, and will be topping up their wages to 100% themselves."

"Have to say LFC isn't a charity and as such the owners have to make decisions that protect the profitability of the company"

"Correct, last time I looked it was registered at Companies House as a limited company.

Bigger Companies than us have done it, business is business and the Directors have a duty to do the best for the business and it’s shareholders"

"Just seen in the media that the club have put a number of staff on furlough and people including Carragher are having a go at the club.
The media also has said that the club will ensure that they receive full wages. So if that is correct what the hell are people moaning about"

"It’s a good decision by the club, all businesses small and large are doing it and it safeguards the jobs of every single one of the employees in the club additionally they are getting 100% wages.

Don’t see the issue whatsoever"

I just find these views staggering. Do these people not just take a step back and realise exactly what it is they are defending ? Incredible. It just has me shaking my head in disbelief.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
A friends brother works at the AMEX in a catering role and he's been told today that he's being put on furlough. I'm not sure if he's employed by The Albion or Sodexo though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thanks, that’s a shame

There was a big IF by PB..by no means certain

Chief executive Paul Barber told staff that, if the furlough scheme is used, “which is already being used by far more profitable businesses than ours, it will be because we have done everything possible to minimise our outgoings - and not because we are simply taking advantage of taxpayers’ money.”

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So my company has revenues of around £1b globally and a UK wage bill of around £500k a week. We have taken the Govt scheme to furlough the vast majority of our staff but because none of them play professional football its alright? The Hypocrisy of a number on here beggars belief. Theatres furloughed their staff weeks ago as did other entertainment venues but because the media told you to be outraged about PL teams we are supposed to be disgusted? Business being run like businesses shock. If they weren't people would criticise that too.

Football clubs are not run in a vacuum they have zero revenue and considerable costs, because some staff get a big wage packet makes not a jot to the fundamentals of a company. They have the same financial pressures as any other company.

Those ELITE Premier League football clubs have enjoyed vast, vast revenues for years and years - just look at the turnover and profits of Liverpool and Spurs this last couple of seasons. They exist in a bubble. Yet at the first sign of trouble, they are at the front of the queue with the begging bowl for public funds to pay their lowest-paid staff over the summer. Are you seriously suggesting they are so impoverished that they can't withstand 3-6 months of covering their lowest paid staff without using taxpayers money ? Lets get real - they can easily afford to cover those staffs wages over this crisis. But instead, in these extraordinary unprecedented times, they're just looking at insulating their cash reserves as far as possible. Its all about the bottom line.

Let just remember this shall we, when the good times are back and they unveil their next £50m-£60m signing who's on £150k a week. I know I certainly will. Lets see if you're defending them plundering these emergency public funds then.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Theatres furloughed their staff weeks ago as did other entertainment venues

Because the money involved in running The Captiol in Horsham and running Liverpool Football Club is incredibly similar...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here