Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Care homes and residential nursing homes

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I touched on this in the Hancock thread replying to [MENTION=35910]WilburySeagull[/MENTION] Now it is being published on the BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52155359

It is not unusual for "Respect Forms" or Do Not Resuscitate orders to be discussed with elderly and vulnerable people as part of careful preparation for the end of life.

But one care manager was deeply concerned that residents and families are being pushed to sign the forms.

One care home manager in Hove told me their GP had even told them "none of your residents aged over 75 will be admitted to hospital". They said they felt "shocked and numb" to hear that.

Another said: "We have been told flatly that it would be highly unlikely that they would be accepted into hospital."

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I touched on this in the Hancock thread replying to [MENTION=35910]WilburySeagull[/MENTION] Now it is being published on the BBC website.

It is not unusual for "Respect Forms" or Do Not Resuscitate orders to be discussed with elderly and vulnerable people as part of careful preparation for the end of life.

But one care manager was deeply concerned that residents and families are being pushed to sign the forms.

One care home manager in Hove told me their GP had even told them "none of your residents aged over 75 will be admitted to hospital". They said they felt "shocked and numb" to hear that.

Another said: "We have been told flatly that it would be highly unlikely that they would be accepted into hospital."

Was literally just discussing this with junior now (not in relation to the BBC article) so asked her view....she said......

“Disagree with the age cut off, but agree that most care home residents would not benefit from admission to hospital if they have good GP/nurse support. Even before this we usually put a ReSPECT form in for most patients going to a care home, so we could discuss and document whether the person would want CPR or readmission to hospital for IV antibiotics.. In terms of the virus all we can do is intubate, provide oxygen or give meds to help any symptoms. I haven't yet seen an old person come off oxygen without dying if they have CV, and the same meds can be given in community [emoji2368]”

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was literally just discussing this with junior now (not in relation to the BBC article) so asked her view....she said......

“Disagree with the age cut off, but agree that most care home residents would not benefit from admission to hospital if they have good GP/nurse support. Even before this we usually put a ReSPECT form in for most patients going to a care home, so we could discuss and document whether the person would want CPR or readmission to hospital for IV antibiotics.. In terms of the virus all we can do is intubate, provide oxygen or give meds to help any symptoms. I haven't yet seen an old person come off oxygen without dying if they have CV, and the same meds can be given in community [emoji2368]”

I mentioned it because my sister in law has POA with my MIL and was asked to sign a DNR form very recently.
I am also concerned that care workers do not have any protective gear.

Add in the fact that there are no visits, limited funerals etc. It is extremely hard for relatives.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I spoke to my dad this afternoon on this subject, but nothing mentioned to him yet, about my mum in her care home.

On a sidenote, I was driving to work on Weds night, passing Breakspear Crematorium (if you can remember?), I saw several people wearing hi vis vests erecting tentage.
It has apparently storage for 14,000.......
Makes you think :(

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I spoke to my dad this afternoon on this subject, but nothing mentioned to him yet, about my mum in her care home.

On a sidenote, I was driving to work on Weds night, passing Breakspear Crematorium (if you can remember?), I saw several people wearing hi vis vests erecting tentage.
It has apparently storage for 14,000.......
Makes you think :(

It does. The no admittance policy isn't just for Covid19 but anything. Stroke, heart attack etc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im unclear if the guidance the elderly wont be admitted with coronavirus (or suspected) or with any condition?
(delayed reply, seen answer).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I mentioned it because my sister in law has POA with my MIL and was asked to sign a DNR form very recently.
I am also concerned that care workers do not have any protective gear.

Add in the fact that there are no visits, limited funerals etc. It is extremely hard for relatives.

Indeed, it’s terrible. Junior had to call the son of a lady a couple of nights ago to say that she was dying......he said he’d be in straight away but she had to tell him that he simply couldn’t and wouldn’t be able to see her. Awful for the individuals, awful families and awful for the staff having to deal with it. It’s heartbreaking.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
My brother in law who is 51 years old suffered brain damage when he was 9, although he is capable of living in a self contained flat, inside of a care home, he needs supervision when cooking dinner and showering, the care home have asked my MIL to sign a DNR form, should he catch this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My brother in law who is 51 years old suffered brain damage when he was 9, although he is capable of living in a self contained flat, inside of a care home, he needs supervision when cooking dinner and showering, the care home have asked my MIL to sign a DNR form, should he catch this.

Yes, unfortunately it isn’t just the older people, but anyone who needs care. It’s almost like eugenics.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed, it’s terrible. Junior had to call the son of a lady a couple of nights ago to say that she was dying......he said he’d be in straight away but she had to tell him that he simply couldn’t and wouldn’t be able to see her. Awful for the individuals, awful families and awful for the staff having to deal with it. It’s heartbreaking.

The thumbs up is for agreement not because I like it. Relatives cannot visit, and in a lot of cases cannot attend a funeral either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here