Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Keir Starmer

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
better than corbyn but wooden. Will that be enough? Time will tell.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The first advice the government went with (from the competent medics) was take it on the chin and use herd immunity. They also ignored advice from the WHO to test people.

They then realised too many people would die. Now they are just fudging the figures by only counting those who die in hospital.

comments from Neil Ferguson indicate the advice wasnt ignored, there wasnt the resources to do it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The first advice the government went with (from the competent medics) was take it on the chin and use herd immunity. They also ignored advice from the WHO to test people.

They then realised too many people would die. Now they are just fudging the figures by only counting those who die in hospital.

I think it’s important to realise who is making the decisions and who is in charge. The government will be putting parameters on their advice. I suspect this was the initial thinking:

Johnson: The last thing we’re going to do is lockdown the Country or close our borders. So, on that basis, what’s the best way of defeating the virus?

CMO: From the parameters you’ve set, let’s go for herd immunity. It is the best long term strategy although many will die in the short term. It’s therefore essential we get this thing spread far and wide and that all travellers from northern Italy are not questioned, screened or quarantined.

Johnson: Very good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Medics and scientists aren't politicians, but I seem to have got the impression that competent medics and scientists are already pretty involved with Government and all other agencies in fighting this awful virus.
Haven't you?

As I replied on the good news thread regarding testing if we'd moved quicker to test NHS staff first and isolate and test the contacts of known cases second we'd have saved lives. Look at South Korea. That, and the lack of PPE has come not from the government's advisers but from a complete failure to order the tests and equipment. We've bunged the country trillions into debt without spending on the right things. A shit show.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He's very ill actually. FFS. Blinded by hatred

How do you know he is VERY I'll ?

He claimed to have mild symptoms over a week ago. He claims to have mild symptoms even now.

Are you popping by every day with his shopping and taking him lucozade or something ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
unless he changed the advisers as soon as in office, there would be the same advice, the same science and models, the same constraints and ultimatly the same decisions. maybe under a different leader this would be week 3 instead of week 2 of lockdown. we havent done anything much different to other countries.

Less testing than:

The USA, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland, Ireland, Austria, The Netherlands, Russia, Israel, Czechia, Denmark, Australia, Norway, Sweden, Lithuania, Latvia, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, UAE, Qatar, Aruba, to name a few.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
comments from Neil Ferguson indicate the advice wasnt ignored, there wasnt the resources to do it.

Yes, and whose fault is that. It's not like we had a MASSIVE warning or anything.

Civil Servant - er, Prime Minister, do you think we ought to look at getting the NHS a bit more equipment and some test kits just in case this virus leaves Wuhan?

Boris - wiffle waffle BREXIT wiffle

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Dreadful old party bias on this thread displayed by the Boris Johnson haters; some of it quite distasteful.
Usual suspects.:ffsparr:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
How do you know he is VERY I'll ?

He claimed to have mild symptoms over a week ago. He claims to have mild symptoms even now.

Are you popping by every day with his shopping and taking him lucozade or something ?

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Frankie Boyle's view: Keir Starmer seems to be viewed as “electable” by Labour members largely because he looks like someone playing a Prime Minister in an old Spice Girls video. He will certainly provide a strong opposition to satire: he is difficult to joke about, in the same way that it is difficult to write jokes about brown wrapping paper, or the frozen tundra. He’ll find it difficult to make an early impact.

Full article here (warning: contains Covid) https://theovertake.com/~beta/frank...wEdJMDo4IsjaFS5ccJKVBHuApSp1e3sCY2hhqvoTGVg6U

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Less testing than:

The USA, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland, Ireland, Austria, The Netherlands, Russia, Israel, Czechia, Denmark, Australia, Norway, Sweden, Lithuania, Latvia, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, UAE, Qatar, Aruba, to name a few.

this source disagrees there. yes, we havent done enough, point was about policy not numerical counts.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As I replied on the good news thread regarding testing if we'd moved quicker to test NHS staff first and isolate and test the contacts of known cases second we'd have saved lives. Look at South Korea. That, and the lack of PPE has come not from the government's advisers but from a complete failure to order the tests and equipment. We've bunged the country trillions into debt without spending on the right things. A shit show.

With a few individual differences ,all countries have basically followed the same patterns and no Government was prepared for this pandemic.
South Korea had some experience of previous epidemics and took quick action................Sweden have gone completely the other way.
Before condemning, our Government, out of hand, I suggest we see how this all pans out throughout the world, but in the meantime learn from each other.
Undoubtably mistakes will have been made by Governments, medics and scientists as we are basically dealing with the unknown and there are always will be plenty of differing opinions about the best course of action.
The easiest thing in the world is to say' Shit show'.
P.S.I seem to recall you made a right prat of yourself in your early calls on the virus.......just saying.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

How do you know they are fudging the figures?
This is untrue, they are including those who have died outside hospital. Catch up on the news.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Corbyn was completely ineffectual and couldn’t make a decision if his life depended on it. Useless.! A Waste of space who (sadly) made Boris look vaguely competent.

Fate was a real bitch giving us these two morons....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pretty much agree with you, but the point I was making is that he'd have done a better job on CV19 than Johnson, and I stand by that.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Calling @Dr No

Herd Immunity?

https://fullfact.org/health/boris-j...xdXKVxsP6TvogB7AqYT2ZPBTQR3vsazp701YE5ACx6uQg

Claim:
Prime Minister Boris Johnson advocated for the UK to take Covid-19 “on the chin” and allow the disease to spread through the population.

Conclusion:
The Prime Minister said this was a theory on how to deal with the virus, but said it would be better if we take all the measures we can to reduce the burden on the NHS during the peak of the disease.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
https://fullfact.org/health/boris-j...xdXKVxsP6TvogB7AqYT2ZPBTQR3vsazp701YE5ACx6uQg

Claim:
Prime Minister Boris Johnson advocated for the UK to take Covid-19 “on the chin” and allow the disease to spread through the population.

Conclusion:
The Prime Minister said this was a theory on how to deal with the virus, but said it would be better if we take all the measures we can to reduce the burden on the NHS during the peak of the disease.

And then did nothing for two weeks.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How do you know they are fudging the figures?
This is untrue, they are including those who have died outside hospital. Catch up on the news.

The news only reports what it is told to report.
People in care homes are not even being tested, nor being admitted to hospital, so won't be included in official figures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here