Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Keir Starmer

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
With Angela Rayner as deputy, according to the FT, with Rayner winning on the third round, Starmer on the first

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Congratulations to the new leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition.

[tweet]1246375178684239874[/tweet]

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Should be better than the previous one, not that the bar is set very high

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
This will trigger the racists.

Oh, I see it already has.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
He’ll be better than Corbyn, but I doubt they’ll win the next election. Time will tell...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Probably the best they have... didn't do very well with BrExit policy at the General Election... but at least he is smart enough to think on his feet at PMQs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He’ll be better than Corbyn, but I doubt they’ll win the next election. Time will tell...

I couldn't disagree more.

Churchill got us through WW2 and the Great British public rewarded him by electing Labour to rebuild the country. The Tories are doing an absolutely awful job of Covid19 (and I don't think Labour would have done any better at all) but that was the way the dice rolled. Boris was brought in as a populist to deliver Brexit and cheer lead the economy through it, definitely his skill set. Blustering his way through a global pandemic? Not his bag.

IF he screws up C19 he's a dead man walking. IF he subsequently screws up Brexit he's a dead man walking. IF he compounds C19 economic misery with Brexit economic misery the Tories won't get back in for 20 years. If he does ok through both events, history shows that the public still may want a good deal of big government and public spending to get us back on our feet.

Without Covid19 I would have said Boris was on course for a Thatcher-esque length of service. With it anything's possible.

Suprised he won, I thought the Unions would block him. I'm not a Labour voter but I think he's the best choice. Any Government should have a half decent opposition who can give them a run for their money. Not one that can't get support in the middle ground and therefore be unelectable.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I couldn't disagree more.

Churchill got us through WW2 and the Great British public rewarded him by electing Labour to rebuild the country. The Tories are doing an absolutely awful job of Covid19 (and I don't think Labour would have done any better at all) but that was the way the dice rolled. Boris was brought in as a populist to deliver Brexit and cheer lead the economy through it, definitely his skill set. Blustering his way through a global pandemic? Not his bag.

IF he screws up C19 he's a dead man walking. IF he subsequently screws up Brexit he's a dead man walking. IF he compounds C19 economic misery with Brexit economic misery the Tories won't get back in for 20 years. If he does ok through both events, history shows that the public still may want a good deal of big government and public spending to get us back on our feet.

Without Covid19 I would have said Boris was on course for a Thatcher-esque length of service. With it anything's possible.

Not the conventional analysis... yet. Plenty of time though, and the aftermath is bound to be brutal.

YouGov poll, 1-2 April (changes since 2019):

CON: 52% (+7)
LAB: 28% (-5)
LD: 8% (-4)
SNP: 5% (+1)
GRN: 5% (+2)
BXP: 1% (-1)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here