Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] First big test for ‘Stay At Home’ coming up this weekend

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We have a troop of people visiting a house just down from us with birthday presents and all nattering in the road outside. I know it’s hard and my daughters birthday is coming up but STAY AWAY! I’ll give my kids their birthday presents and Easter eggs eventually but they’re NOT ESSENTIAL.

Makes my blood boil that people are being so stupid, selfish and irresponsible.

Just send a card with an IOU for one present, far safer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Living in a small village myself, I’d assumed that it was easier for me than a city dweller. I can go for a run and pass less than a dozen people in an hour. I can’t imagine that being possible for townies.

This! I live in a very small community and I can walk my dogs for miles on the local footpaths and not see another soul. I couldn’t do that if I was still living in Brighton.

I presumed by exercise the poster meant something vigorous like running. Of course you can walk a dog around a village.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I knew someone that said they could run through the whole village in about 5 minutes and then it was just narrow twisty country roads with no pavement or muddy ploughed fields if they wanted to go further. Hence they drove to more suitable places.

The problem is others drive to the same “more suitable place” and the isolated spots then become anything but.

I ran 250 laps of my back garden yesterday. It wasn’t the most fun thing in the world, but none of us have a right to a more interesting run over a boring one right now.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I went off into woodland for a walk this morning and there was hardly anyone about: I saw two other people and didn't get anywhere near them.

Walking back slightly more urban where I live there were a few more people around, but everyone was obeying the rules about distance. Even the webcam of the Palace Pier beach looks like people are obeying the rules (https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/brighton/brighton-pier.html). I really hope that one or two incidents - there are bound to be a few - are used as "evidence" that the rules are being broken.

I'm not sure how successful a full lock down will be. I would guess that a lot of people would continue to go out in the places where there are never any police, but it might cause some changes in the cities, which I guess would be the point. One difference would be that I - and lots of other people - would be carrying bags and a shopping list each time I left the house.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
There's seems to be a growing number of do gooders on social media shaming people who are going out at all !!
I suspect we'll soon find out which of our neighbours are the type who would be willing Stasi informers if the attempted lockdown tries to become more severe.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Went for a walk over Southwick lock gates to arrive on the west beach full of cyclists, despite all the signs saying cycling is banned on the west beach walk way , families were cycling along the walkway then stopping off at various points only to sun bathe , the amount of people who think the rules don’t apply to them is amazing , I can’t believe the hire bikes are still available, surely these should be stopped during the present crisis. I did not realise how selfish people are , I saw so many people doing stupid things , breaking the rules whilst walking home unbelievable!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I ran 250 laps of my back garden yesterday.

Crikey. I just looked this up on Strava...I’m disappointed the route isn’t marked out. Your shoe soles look interesting; what shoes are they?

One thing the Government hasn't told us.

Will the birth rate fall dramatically with all this keep at least 6 feet distance from anyone else stuff?

Or will it rise dramatically because people are stuck at home with bugger all else to do?

I think we should be told.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nice to see a young couple calling out an arrogant jogger of about the same age as them up my road this morning. Arrogant jogger's all about the 'yeah whatever mate' like coronavirus has nothing to do with him, while the young couple are pointing out he'd jogged just about right in their faces. They get my vote as the good guys in this encounter :thumbsup:

Makes me think of this:

[tweet]1243929231643545600[/tweet]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Crikey. I just looked this up on Strava...I’m disappointed the route isn’t marked out. Your shoe soles look interesting; what shoes are they?

Those ones are Nike Air Zoom Vomero 14.

I did a solitary mile barefoot before that but it bruised my foot up from where I kept catching edges of decking planks so I popped some shoes on for the subsequent 5-miler!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Agreed. Also I had an IKEA delivery booked in for this week but they seem to be stopping all deliveries until further notice based on the email I got today. I wonder if they’ve had a heads up

Perhaps delivery vehicles are better used getting food to the vulnerable. Just a thought. May be well wide of the mark.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I knew someone that said they could run through the whole village in about 5 minutes and then it was just narrow twisty country roads with no pavement or muddy ploughed fields if they wanted to go further. Hence they drove to more suitable places.

That’s what I’ve got, but the fields ain’t muddy at the moment!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
After yesterday it seems people have taken notice dos not all doom and gloom as some would have us to believe
...also good to see the ‘duo’ charged.

‘’Despite this, many people disregarded the advice and gathered on the promenade - including one duo who saw fit to fire up a barbecue on the beach.

They have now been charged by police, becoming some of the first people in the country to be reprimanded for breaching the new Coronavirus Act 2020.

Today, it appears the warning has been heard.

Drone footage of promenade in Brighton and Hove shows only a select few people, distanced from one another, taking a stroll by the sea.

Cllr Platts has expressed her gratitude to all those who have listened to the "stay home, save lives" advice.

She said: "The more these safety measures are observed now, the sooner we can be on the other side of this public health crisis and enjoy what I hope will be a long, warm and sunny summer.

"It’s great that people are protecting one another and our hardworking NHS staff by staying at home and social distancing when they go out for essential shopping or 40 minutes of exercise.

"Thank you to everyone who is being responsible, your actions will save lives."

Sussex Police also posted a message of appreciation for people's efforts on its social media accounts.

A spokesman said: "We’re pleased to see advice is being heeded and today. Brighton beach is quiet, let's keep it that way.

"The health secretary said this morning that the death rate all depends on how the public behave. Only leave home for absolutely essential reasons."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"It’s great that people are protecting one another and our hardworking NHS staff by staying at home and social distancing when they go out for essential shopping or 40 minutes of exercise."

Where does the 40 minutes come from?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
No idea....thought it was up to an hour depending on what it was ..but as a guideline rather than a timed to the second rule
When Gove was asked how long people should exercise for last week he said a 30 minute run or a hour's walk (sorry for the (Hull) Daily Mail link (!), but it is a source: https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...ws/how-long-exercise-outside-lockdown-3996725).

Of course, the law does not specify in England any of this, but it seems like a sensible plan to follow.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No idea....thought it was up to an hour depending on what it was ..but as a guideline rather than a timed to the second rule

Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove said on Sunday 29 March, "I would have thought for most people a walk of up to an hour, a run of 30 minutes or a cycle ride of between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate."

But nothing formal in place, and as with Gove, not particularly helpful given "depending on their level of fitness" is not defined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here