Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Premier League wage cut 30% ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From the tweeted highlights I saw, it is just as likely to be a deferral, rather than a cut.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Like pulling teeth.

Gordon Taylor continuing to do an excellent job. Wonder if he’s taken a pay cut?

Pray for Kevin de Bruyne. Weekly salary falling to only £245k....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'd like it to go directly to local good causes rather than a saving for rich club chairmen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What is the knock on effect for tax? How much less goes into the government's coffers if the big earners stop earning so big?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no pleasing some.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
For me this is simple. Football should look after itself during this crisis, through the leagues and through the pay scales. Not interested in cuts to prop up billionaires or as a sop to the media hype. Just don’t let anything or anyone in the football community suffer and don’t come to the tax payers for a bail out when you have your snout in the trough. Slowly moving in the right direction,

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For me this is simple. Football should look after itself during this crisis, through the leagues and through the pay scales. Not interested in cuts to prop up billionaires or as a sop to the media hype. Just don’t let anything or anyone in the football community suffer and don’t come to the tax payers for a bail out when you have your snout in the trough. Slowly moving in the right direction,

According to 5live tonight with Jenas, Coady and Danny Rose, the players won’t be accepting a pay cut, if that saving going to the clubs to determine where it goes. Many of the clubs are wealthy and have hugely wealthy owners, the players are determined to keep control of this.

Instead the PL players plan is that their agreed contributions go directly to NHS charities or others who have suffered from this pandemic.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
According to 5live tonight with Jenas, Coady and Danny Rose, the players won’t be accepting a pay cut, if that saving going to the clubs to determine where it goes. Many of the clubs are wealthy and have hugely wealthy owners, the players are determined to keep control of this.

Instead the PL players plan is that their agreed contributions go directly to NHS charities or others who have suffered from this pandemic.

Yeah, doesn’t surprise me, they’ll have watertight contracts and doing it that way ensures they decide on the donation level, the length and where it goes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, doesn’t surprise me, they’ll have watertight contracts and doing it that way ensures they decide on the donation level, the length and where it goes.

Got the impression from the guests that it’s going to be significant. The 20 club captains have been working on it prior to this week’s bad press for Spuds and PL players in general.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Would this apply across the board? I.e. including reserve and young players still potentially on their first contracts (think Connolly and Alzate if they hadn't been given new deals), especially at more recently promoted clubs like Sheffield United/Norwich. If so, a 30% blanket reduction seems a bit simplistic. I'm sure none of them are going to be hard up as a result, but seems strange to just place "Premier League players" in one bracket.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Easy soundbite for Matt Hancock to have a pop at PL footballers. Shame he didn't say City traders should be taxed 90% of their bonuses and companies registered abroad to avoid tax should get f..k all bailout.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
i'm sorry but its just massive ignorance and self interest from the players saying it's not their problem. Its just plain economics before we get anywhere near morality. Clubs are businesses and their income is linked to the Tv revenue which is also linked to the advertising income of said Tv companies.
No product(games to show on tv) No Tv revenue. No money to pay bills and wages.
As I understand it a significant amount is paid up front by Tv and will need to be repaid by clubs if the season isn't finished.
I am currently desperately trying to save my company which is mine, my brothers and my recently departed fathers lifetimes work. Immediately an 80% reduction in my income with no guarantee that will save it. Also trying to save the livelihoods of my 30 staff who have also taken a 20% pay cut. Taking some too close to min wage.

So players please understand I wont be paying another penny into football until we are clear of this clusterfudge and maybe never if you cannot see this is a reality check on your pampered world. Most clubs are unprofitable and most players actually don't win a single trophy. They still earn more than double in a week than I do in a year. I doubt many have the stress I have oe have to make a decision more difficult than deciding what colour Ferrari to have.
Sorry if the grammar is poor as i'm in full rant mode.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
i'm sorry but its just massive ignorance and self interest from the players saying it's not their problem. Its just plain economics before we get anywhere near morality. Clubs are businesses and their income is linked to the Tv revenue which is also linked to the advertising income of said Tv companies.
No product(games to show on tv) No Tv revenue. No money to pay bills and wages.
As I understand it a significant amount is paid up front by Tv and will need to be repaid by clubs if the season isn't finished.
I am currently desperately trying to save my company which is mine, my brothers and my recently departed fathers lifetimes work. Immediately an 80% reduction in my income with no guarantee that will save it. Also trying to save the livelihoods of my 30 staff who have also taken a 20% pay cut. Taking some too close to min wage.

So players please understand I wont be paying another penny into football until we are clear of this clusterfudge and maybe never if you cannot see this is a reality check on your pampered world. Most clubs are unprofitable and most players actually don't win a single trophy. They still earn more than double in a week than I do in a year. I doubt many have the stress I have oe have to make a decision more difficult than deciding what colour Ferrari to have.
Sorry if the grammar is poor as i'm in full rant mode.

I would add 30% is not a great amount either for the majority of PL players to lose. I would still like to earn 70k a year which is what most will still receive in a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here