Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHS Volunteers

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Has anyone heard back on this yet? I and some of my family registered when it came out but none of us heard back yet and if you try and log in to the app it just says waiting confirmation or similar.

I guess they are prioritising where it is most needed?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Know a couple of pals that were confirmed/verified a few days ago, neither have received any calls to do anything yet though. I'm still waiting for confirmation.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Got an email confirming my registration earlier today.

Installed the app as instructed, logged in - it shows you a local map view, a bit like an Uber app or similar - pleased to see about 20 other responders all in a very close vicinity to me. On the app you can toggle ON/OFF Duty, and practice a "fake alert" to see how it works. Seems relatively straight-forward.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Still waiting too. Shouldn’t be too much of a wait now.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I just got mine through today too... not sure how much I’ll be able to volunteer at the moment though, currently working between 12 and 17 hours a day!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A friend of mine posted this on Facebook earlier:

The press today reports that a "tiny number" of the 750,000 people who have signed up to join the NHS Volunteer Responders have started helping vulnerable people in self-isolation because the Royal Voluntary Service has about 500,000 applicants waiting to be DBS vetted. Well, that wasn't at all predictable was it? I already have an enhanced DBS certificate and years of professional experience working with vulnerable people (including managing befriending and advocacy services in the voluntary sector) but was told that I could not apply to be an NHS Volunteer Responder because they already have enough applicants. I could have been up and running as a responder by now. Wouldn't it have been sensible in the first instance to accept applications only from those who have already been DBS vetted so that they could have started volunteering with the minimum of delay? I have now given up on the NHS Volunteer Responders and am volunteering with a local voluntary sector organisation.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m on the app. I’ve not had an alert for a call out yet (been on duty since the weekend) but I’ve been emailed volunteer job descriptions today and need to find an hour or so to go through the detail.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
The press release referred to above is only partly accurate. DBS checks only apply to those who have registered to drive patients. Further, registrants who have already been DBS vetted, don’t need to be checked again.
Alerts have only just started to be sent to registered responders. There is a soft rollout of just 10,000 alerts per day currently. It will be ramped up next week hopefully.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Good work chaps:thumbsup::clap2::clap:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Got mine through Friday morning

Looking forward to getting out of the house to help [emoji1303]

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Got mine through a couple of days ago but I note that the app has about 2 stars on the app store with everyone saying it doesn't work?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
After working in the NHS for over 36 years my application was rejected !

Aware that the Government had put this process in the hands of GoodSAM/ The Royal Volentary Service who bless them are very good at cake and tea but organising of a national plan to get the appropriate individuals in to support the NHS at this critical stage is I fear beyond their resources as such I independantly contacted a local NHS Trust directly who were more than keen for me to sign back into the NHS on a Volentary basis

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My niece who is over here from Australia has nursing experience and is now working right in the front line on a covid ward in a north London hospital.
Another neice is a dentist but has volunteered to work as a nurse in the nightingale hospital as she has dentist nurse qualifications too, IV, that sort of thing.
Meanwhile, down in the basement of the Nightingale hospital, my London cabbie brother in law will be sorting out all the bodies in the morgue. That is a paid role although he volunteered.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Has anyone heard back on this yet? I and some of my family registered when it came out but none of us heard back yet and if you try and log in to the app it just says waiting confirmation or similar.

I guess they are prioritising where it is most needed?

Last heard from them on 27/3 , I have an in date Enhanced DBS certificate which I emailed to them

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I have seen this morning my local GP practice is asking for volunteers in conjunction with the local council for volunteers to deliver prescriptions to homes. It looks to be total separate to the NHS Volunteers campaign. I've got a recent DBS, as I started a new job 2 months back, so I think I'll explore volunteering for my doctors surgery first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here