Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Probably really doesn't deserve a thread of it's own but hey, I'm sure people would like to see this :

[tweet]1245989359335153666[/tweet]

Postcards from the past https://twitter.com/PastPostcard is a great Twitter account.

Anyone else got some old postcards of Brighton town? (I'm trying to give this thread some more mileage here)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only loosely related, but here's a poster from Brighton Aquarium circa 1870s. My son stumbled across it pasted on the the wall of the gents toilets in a random bar in Paris of all places :ohmy:

Aquarium Programme 1870s.jpg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I love these old pictures. The Kings Road card looks to have been taken in almost the same spot as the current Live Webcam is placed, on the Queens Hotel.
Little bit of history. Where the cars are parked on the right facing the building, that's the Old Ship Hotel. The first two buildings on the right were knocked down for the now Jurys Inn. In the late 70's my Father got together with all the owners of the buildings that are beyond the Old Ship, now Buddies & Burger King, with the intention of knocking the whole lot down to build a new hotel. Council said no.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Probably really doesn't deserve a thread of it's own but hey, I'm sure people would like to see this :

[tweet]1245989359335153666[/tweet]

Postcards from the past https://twitter.com/PastPostcard is a great Twitter account.

Anyone else got some old postcards of Brighton town? (I'm trying to give this thread some more mileage here)

I'm guessing 1963 going by the bus. One of the first with electric doors.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm guessing 1963 going by the bus. One of the first with electric doors.

I wonder if that’s the No.22 bus - to Petersfield or Midhurst, via Shoreham, Steyning and Storrington? Looking at the cars I would imagine it’s slightly earlier than 1963.

That's a Leyland Titan PD2/12. Southdown used them from 1956 until 1971 if that helps narrow it down.

Herr Ing Gull

Sep 3, 2014
I've got a couple of thousand old Brighton postcards, this one of the B&HA Moochers being a favourite. Probably what the Ist team squad is doing at the moment
View attachment 121832

It's pre Great War, as R. Whiting, the goalkeeper, is sitting on the right and he was killed in the war.

Was that the team who first introduced a sweeper?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That's a Leyland Titan PD2/12. Southdown used them from 1956 until 1971 if that helps narrow it down.
The average of 1956 and 1971 is 1963.5 so I was smack on!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here