Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Duran Duran

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Surprised nobody has mentioned the tremendous videos they released in the early 80s ??? :whistle:

Some of them were a bit risque, bordering on plain naughty - The 'Greatest' CD/DVD double set I've got has an '18' certificate for example.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Out of interest, does anyone else have a copy of "Dangerous", by Andy Taylor? It's a solo album with covers of classic rock songs, but sank without trace.

cover.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can’t say I am a fan but I have seen them live a few times, well after their sell-buy date, and they were fantastic. Hit after hit after hit. I really love the fact that Simon Le Bon doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously but equally seems to love what he’s doing; a 50 plus man strutting round the stage and attempting star jumps like he’s 20...fair play.

As an aside, Erol Alkan closed the Sonar festival day-time schedule last year with Planet Earth; the hipster kids went nuts.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Blimey - this takes me back when I first saw them at Brighton Dome in summer of '81. Seven & The Ragged Tiger would be my choice.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Best use of music in a film bar none, just a great juxtaposition of mindless violence and Duran Duran.

'Ordinary World' became even better because of being used in that scene. A song called 'Ordinary world' and some seriously messed up violence - it's the tea at the end that does it I think.

On the subject of 'Ordinary World and this is just my opinion, but I think it's their best ever song, but it comes with the paradox of being recorded after they were good.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I don't mind admitting that I love early Duran Duran.

First ever album on tape that I got was Rio. I played it to death.

Away from the boy band image and poster boy looks, John Taylor's bass playing skills were seriously underrated.

Here's the isolated bass on Rio. DD went on to work with Nile Rodgers later on, but you can clearly hear the Chic influence on it.

As for the moaning sounds from 4:28 at the end of Hungry Like The Wolf, they were apparently made by Nick Rhodes then-girlfriend!

My favourite DD song is Last Chance Stairway.

The title came from l'esprit de l'escalier, a French term used for thinking of the perfect response too late - you've left the party and are at the bottom of the stairs.

Away from Rio, the gorgeous Tiger Tiger instrumental with Andy Hamilton's sax through a decent pair of headphones is an absolute must.

This video does it justice.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
The Wedding Album - best album
The Chauffeur - Best song and video

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Second ever gig was Duran Duran at the Brighton Centre. Also, mystifyingly, saw them on my first night in New York, having been presented with a ticket on my arrival.

Night Boat. Underrated gem.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Best use of music in a film bar none, just a great juxtaposition of mindless violence and Duran Duran.

Another one of my favourite films, but seeing as the Rolling Stones are also mentioned in this thread, Gimme Shelter is another great use of music in Layer Cake.

And I may have mentioned another favourite film more than once - The Business :wink:
Planet Earth from Duran Duran fits just right in this film.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I am really very pleasantly surprised. I half expected lots of posters piling into me telling me I had girly taste or words to that effect. I have always maintained that yes the band at the start in the early 80’s were often thought of as a ‘ boy band ‘ because of their looks and clothes but actually over the last 40 years they have shown and proved what a proper decent band they are with so many good songs .

They are also one of the best bands I have ever seen live and I have seen the Rolling Stones, oasis , Coldplay , Queen , u2 etc . I’m not saying they are better than these bands but there isn’t as much gap as many might think .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am really very pleasantly surprised. I half expected lots of posters piling into me telling me I had girly taste or words to that effect. I have always maintained that yes the band at the start in the early 80’s were often thought of as a ‘ boy band ‘ because of their looks and clothes but actually over the last 40 years they have shown and proved what a proper decent band they are with so many good songs .

They are also one of the best bands I have ever seen live and I have seen the Rolling Stones, oasis , Coldplay , Queen , u2 etc . I’m not saying they are better than these bands but there isn’t as much gap as many might think .

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here