Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Confession

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There's a kind of magical musical melting pot that lies somewhere between the genres of country, country rock, alt country, bluegrass, americana, folk and pop in which you will find a whole host of amazing artists whose work, to a greater or lesser extent, contains elements of some of these influences with a greater emphasis on one or another. I would reference the following by way of a starter for 10, in no particular order:

The Flying Burrito Brothers
The Byrds
Gram Parsons
Emmylou Harris
Roseanne Cash
Rodney Crowell
The Lone Riders
Guy Clark
Townes Van Zandt
Iris DeMent
Little Big Town
Gillian Welch
Dave Rawlings
Zac Brown

.......and so on, all worth exploring.

Good choices, I’ll add

Poco
Gene Clarke
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
Neil Young - Unplugged

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
More miss than hit for me. Big fan of Jonny Cash and Bobby Gentry. Like Kris Kristofferson.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I seem to be enjoying country music more and more of late.

Anyone else similarly afflicted?

I have played quite a lot of Farming Simulator since Epic gave it away for free (Really relaxing if you are a bit OCD) and the only streaming radio station in the game I can stomach is the Country one. It got too repetitive bu.t I did enjoy it for a few weeks although some of the lyrics are a bit psychotic/bleak. Grief comes in waves and tonight I am drowning. I wish Grandpas never die.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Calling @Dr No

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Apart from Johnny Cash, a man who transcended C&W in his own style NO !...…. Years back when Married, we signed on for Nynex Cable as it was then, the wife found Country Music Television on one of the channels, she had it on virtually all the time, male visitors to the house christened it Cun tv

Last edited:

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I must confess to loving all five series of 'Nashville' on Sky recently, Some really good country rock.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Must admit I like Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins but all time best is comedian come country singer Rodney Carrington and this has been played over 8 million times
https://youtu.be/Eh2PjkzW20w

A decent number of those views were me, I think. I also like his 'rap star' and 'put your clothes back on'.

I think a quick view of the country music threads on here would make it clear I'm a country fan, and have been since my early teens when we got nynex when it still included CMT.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Country sucks

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Sorry to say but have loved Country since my teens. Even been to Grand Ol Opry in Nashville and seen a show. Also the Museum of Country Music in Nashville. Fantastic both of them.

However, I also like nearly all genres of music, so am lucky.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Love country music.

Listening to Thomas Rhett, Luke Combs, Raelynn & Lauren Alania at the moment.

Love all of them. Saw Raelynn supporting Maren Morris last year and she's just so southern its amazing.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] what artists have you been listening to?

On a more general note, quite a few country artists have done "concerts" from their homes while all this is going on - Brad Paisley has done a couple, Chris Young did one, I think Tim McGraw and Garth Brooks have done them as well, and I'm sure there are plenty of others - you should be able to find them on the respective performer's FB/IG/Twitter pages.

It's also worth checking out the Opry channel on YouTube - they did a great show a couple of weeks ago, no audience and just Vince Gill, Brad Paisley and Marty Stuart on stage (at suitable distances) with guitars:

https://youtu.be/wQ6-i8hI3Gs

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There was a round on Pointless recently where they played songs by performers who have won Grammys for country music, the question being to identify the artist/group.

They had "Walk The Line" by Johnny Cash, "Jolene" by Dolly Parton, "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell, "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum and "There You'll Be" by Faith Hill.

Glen Campbell was comfortably the highest score, and one of the pairs very confidently said that the Lady A track was by Patsy Cline.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here