Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NHS will things be different ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don’t make this party political because that’s not what I want... please... It’s about how important that service is to us all.. We’re not going to forget all this are we ? Or even the.stores staff we have relied on and they get £9.00 an hour.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Don’t make this party political because that’s not what I want... please... It’s about how important that service is to us all.. We’re not going to forget all this are we ? Or even the.stores staff we have relied on and they get £9.00 an hour.

Let's hope so.
I did notice a breaking news thing on the BBC news channel tonight that the Govt has written off around £13bn worth of historic debt for NHS trusts.
And the current fiasco around the supply of testing kits, protective clothing and ventilators surely says it needs to be done better.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Things will definitely be different. The NHS has been forced to be innovative in order to continue to run essential services.

The Trust my hospital is supporting has been trying for years to set up a virtual trauma patient referral & management system. In the last 2 weeks they've successfully set up an amazing pathway meaning patients in towns, cities and villages across Sussex, Surrey & Kent can be triaged and selected for treatment without travelling to East Grinstead for an assessment appointment. Likewise follow up care can be planned and actioned remotely. The legacy of this situation will save that Trust hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Amazing what you can achieve when your hand is forced.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You can't stop it being political because it is political decisions that decide on the direction the NHS takes. If the conservatives now recognize the importance of a national health service then all parties can work together.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

The thing I hope will be different is politics, I hope that what people see is that pretty much any problem can be solved if there is a political will to do so, including NHS funding.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Thing is , people have short memories , when the pubs are back open you will still get the pissed up yobs spitting and thumping NHS workers as if this all never happened , we all knew junior doctors ,Nurses , and hospital workers top to bottom deserved better pay and equipment long before this happened , all hail captain hindsight .

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
As they say, 'Necessity is the mother of invention'.
Things like ventilators. Being produced by a number of companies now, but not tested by PHE. I’d take my chances with a ventilator that had been produced by McClaren, than none at all.

We appear to be being overrun with bureaucracy. Element of needs must. The absence of tests has been because PHE have been the only labs deemed capable of performing them. Only now, due to pressure, are private companies being invited, despite pleading for a week now.

The argument against has been that a bad test, is worse than no test? Well again, some of these companies have been doing this sort of activity for years. They have all been regulated, and will hold licences, so trust them a little. It’s what happens in Germany and we should allow these audited companies to get on with the testing. Would save many more lives.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the bureaucracy and adherence to policy has held back the NHS, some people are starting to see this now. funding always gets focus, the larger problem at the heart of the NHS is that systemic change is needed but rejected as a moves towards "being sold off". out of a staff count of 1.5 million, about .5 million are actual doctors and nurses.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
out of a staff count of 1.5 million, about .5 million are actual doctors and nurses.

Is that supposed to be a criticism? I'd have thought that number would be about right, or even quite high given all the other staff that are needed. Porters, carers that aren't qualified nurses, cleaners, lab technicians, office staff, etc.

The big worry is where they will all come from past brexit if we're only letting in "skilled" staff.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is that supposed to be a criticism? I'd have thought that number would be about right, or even quite high given all the other staff that are needed. Porters, carers that aren't qualified nurses, cleaners, lab technicians, office staff, etc.

The big worry is where they will all come from past brexit if we're only letting in "skilled" staff.

you're right, there's need for a lot support. i was surprised only 1/3 of staff are clinical. as i suspect a portion of the support are off balance sheet with contracting, i am wondering if there's a few too many people in the office?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Things like ventilators. Being produced by a number of companies now, but not tested by PHE. I’d take my chances with a ventilator that had been produced by McClaren, than none at all.

We appear to be being overrun with bureaucracy. Element of needs must. The absence of tests has been because PHE have been the only labs deemed capable of performing them. Only now, due to pressure, are private companies being invited, despite pleading for a week now.

The argument against has been that a bad test, is worse than no test? Well again, some of these companies have been doing this sort of activity for years. They have all been regulated, and will hold licences, so trust them a little. It’s what happens in Germany and we should allow these audited companies to get on with the testing. Would save many more lives.

This confirms what I thought had likely happened. Which is depressing. Still too many poor decisions being made.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry to break this to you but:-

NOTHING WILL BE DIFFERENT.

6 months after 'release':-

- The NHS will be a political punchbag.
- China's economy will be eating the planet.
- The environment will be up pooh creek.
- Pollution will be at record levels
- The roads will be gridlock
- Money will be wasted.
- The tax dodging 1% will be even more wealthy.
- The poorest of the poor will be increasing at an alarming rate.

Future generations, if there are any, will look back at this precise moment in time and say:-

'that's the moment we were f**ked over by our greedy ancestors' (myself included)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and:-

- The racists will still be racist, despite all the 'coming together' (2m apart) and the 4, so far, Muslim doctors being killed by this virus, while working for the NHS.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Thing is , people have short memories , when the pubs are back open you will still get the pissed up yobs spitting and thumping NHS workers as if this all never happened , we all knew junior doctors ,Nurses , and hospital workers top to bottom deserved better pay and equipment long before this happened , all hail captain hindsight .

This. Anyone believing there will be a fundamental change in attitude *about* the NHS is in cloud cuckoo land. Sorry. But that's the truth.

The attitude *within* the NHS will change though. A lot of people will leave when this is all over, but those that are left will have learnt valuable lessons which will make a huge difference... Virtual working, equipment and resourcing management, flexibility and innovation will all be the winners here. The service will become leaner, faster, more patient focused, the change resistant dinosaurs will no longer be able to resist the flow and everyone will benefit as a result.

But, Joe Public won't want to pay more tax, won't stop getting pissed and ending up in A&E, abusive and violent; and politicians won't remember why improvements were made and will look to reduce spending as a result.

Again... If you believe differently then you are very naïve.

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I'm disappointed to see some on this thread saying that nothing will change after this virus has run its course one way or another.

Society has always changed and evolved after major events and this will be no different.

Things will change ( hopefully for the better). All we don't know....is how much ?

Should we all still be around when "its" done, I'm really looking forward to seeing what is going to change for the better.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here