Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber, Ashworth, Potter Out !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just heard Barber on R4 today programme, Albion showing the way. So proud of this club.

Players in discussions with Union bosses, think something will come

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Even a meager 5% pay cut from a PL payroll for ONE WEEK would pay for a large number of the YEARLY salaries of a PL team's non-playing/coaching staff.

The thing is, do they actually want to save their clubs money too or just cover the furlough bills?

This is best example of football player altruism I’ve picked up so far:

Juventus players have taken a 4 month pay freeze for the good of their club.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52079747

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If wealthy owners can continue to cover those salaries over the summer / next 3 months then great, they should indeed do exactly that, as our own TB and others are doing.

If not, then players taking a modest % cut and paying into a pool would be directly assisting the low paid workers at their football club during a time of crisis. Either way, all Premier League clubs should be comfortably able to cover the cost of their non-playing staff for the next three months at LEAST, without resorting to pilfering emergency public funds and at the same time (by the way) leaving their staff high and dry till the furlough money kicks in in June.

With the money in the game at the top level, thats absolutely shameful. I find it astonishing anyone could disagree.

I agree that Prem clubs should pay all their staff and not use the Government furlough offer, it's whether players should offer to take a cut I am arguing with. What you are suggesting seems to me that the players take a hit so that the owners don't take such a big hit, thats nice for the club, but for everyone who does not give a shit about Tottenham or whether its owners only get £1M out of it next year instead of £10M, I think they would rather the treasury got the tax, and the players chose which charities they wanted to support, if any, for themselves.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree that Prem clubs should pay all their staff and not use the Government furlough offer, it's whether players should offer to take a cut I am arguing with. What you are suggesting seems to me that the players take a hit so that the owners don't take such a big hit, thats nice for the club, but for everyone who does not give a shit about Tottenham or whether its owners only get £1M out of it next year instead of £10M, I think they would rather the treasury got the tax, and the players chose which charities they wanted to support, if any, for themselves.

Then perhaps it should be a joint effort - owners AND players skimming their income, to cover the wages of non-playing staff over the next 3 months. In it together. It's so doable, and its clearly the right thing to do. If Premier League small-fry like BHA can do it, then there is absolutely NO reason why the likes of Spurs and Newcastle cannot.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Then perhaps it should be a joint effort - owners AND players skimming their income, to cover the wages of non-playing staff over the next 3 months. In it together. It's so doable, and its clearly the right thing to do. If Premier League small-fry like BHA can do it, then there is absolutely NO reason why the likes of Spurs and Newcastle cannot.

.....the reason in the two you cite is that their owners are clearly ****s.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would hope that most if not all PL clubs would have taken a view of riding out the next 3 months or so at least, whilst retaining all their non-playing staff. What they pay them in salaries is utterly MINISCULE compared with the money paid out to the players. Frankly any PL club that considers itself NOT in a position to cover that modest cost over the coming summer must be in a proper shit state, given the turnovers we're talking about. But we all know thats not actually the case. They could - easily - and the cuffing well should. ESPECIALLY the big guns, who get the most money, and have their snouts deepest in the trough when times are good.

Nobody knows for sure, but in 3 months time we should have a clearer picture of where we are with this crisis, and hopefully may have an idea of when football, and the country, could start to return to normality. Any DECENT owner would take that view and cover costs while they still can. Filth like Levy though - he'll just take full advantage of public funds ASAP to save a few bob.

Utterly, utterly contemptible. I can't remember being more angered about anything in football. This is on another level.

I'm not defending Levy but the job of the chairman of limited company is to maximise the wealth of the shareholders whilst not breaking the law. Levy is doing just that.

There will be some huge multinationals that pay their top executive multi-million pound salaries who will not only be furloughing their staff but also making some redundant.

That said, I agree that what Levy has done is morally wrong and what makes Spurs actions especially bad is that - in theory - Man Utd and Arsenal should have been first to furlough since they are PLCs and the obligations to turn a profit is arguably greater than for a company that is in private ownership.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not defending Levy but the job of the chairman of limited company is to maximise the wealth of the shareholders whilst not breaking the law. Levy is doing just that.

There will be some huge multinationals that pay their top executive multi-million pound salaries who will not only be furloughing their staff but also making some redundant.

That said, I agree that what Levy has done is morally wrong and what makes Spurs actions especially bad is that - in theory - Man Utd and Arsenal should have been first to furlough since they are PLCs and the obligations to turn a profit is arguably greater than for a company that is in private ownership.

The 'shareholders' for Spurs are largely (85% I think) one bloke - a Bahamas-based billionaire...............so could compare their actions pretty directly with ours on that basis.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I would hope that most if not all PL clubs would have taken a view of riding out the next 3 months or so at least, whilst retaining all their non-playing staff. What they pay them in salaries is utterly MINISCULE compared with the money paid out to the players. Frankly any PL club that considers itself NOT in a position to cover that modest cost over the coming summer must be in a proper shit state, given the turnovers we're talking about. But we all know thats not actually the case. They could - easily - and the cuffing well should. ESPECIALLY the big guns, who get the most money, and have their snouts deepest in the trough when times are good.

Nobody knows for sure, but in 3 months time we should have a clearer picture of where we are with this crisis, and hopefully may have an idea of when football, and the country, could start to return to normality. Any DECENT owner would take that view and cover costs while they still can. Filth like Levy though - he'll just take full advantage of public funds ASAP to save a few bob.

Utterly, utterly contemptible. I can't remember being more angered about anything in football. This is on another level.

Starting to wonder if Spurs are worse than the serial administration cheats up the road?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
If I was a Premier League footballer I would say to Hancock “I will match any contribution that you make. After all, you have just awarded yourselves a 7% pay rise not long after denying any pay rise to the nurses.”
Don’t get political I hear you say. Bollox to that. Just say it as it is. Plenty of rich people could make a difference just by paying their tax.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
If I was a Premier League footballer I would say to Hancock “I will match any contribution that you make. After all, you have just awarded yourselves a 7% pay rise not long after denying any pay rise to the nurses.”
Don’t get political I hear you say. Bollox to that. Just say it as it is. Plenty of rich people could make a difference just by paying their tax.

Harsh to use Hancock as your example. Not only is he the one minister prepared to answer the "testing "questions his salary bears no comparison with the average £70k a week at Spurs.They on the other hand fall comfortably into "if the rich paid their taxes."

For clarification I have never voted tory in my 70 year life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here