Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC to air Sporting Classics

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52134253

The London 2012 Olympics and Euro '96 are just some of the memorable moments that viewers on the BBC can relive this summer after the coronavirus pandemic decimated the sporting calendar.

The 2012 opening ceremony will air on BBC One in the spring, along with a number of highlights programmes showcasing the key moments from the Games, including Super Saturday.

With Euro 2020 postponed to 2021, the BBC will air some of football’s most memorable football matches in June and July - including the best of Euro '96.

July will also see some of Wimbledon’s greatest moments air once again, including Andy Murray’s maiden triumph at SW19 in 2013.

Other highlights include:

Match of Their Day will air on Saturday nights, as the BBC’s football pundits choose their favourite Premier League matches and top moments from years gone by.
Football Focus will continue every week with classic matches broadcast every Saturday and Sunday afternoon.
The BBC Sport website will stream some of the best matches from the archive, as part of a weekly ‘Rewind’ series.
April’s World Snooker Championships will be replaced by some of the best matches from tournaments gone by.
In July, highlights from both the London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympics will fill the void left by Tokyo 2020’s postponement.
Test Match Special will mark the 40th anniversary of its ‘View From The Boundary’ feature by making 40 of its best episodes available to listen on BBC Sounds.
The BBC will offer a range of podcasts - including the fourth series of the award-winning That Peter Crouch Podcast.
A brand new Question of Sport podcast will also be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 Live on Saturday afternoons.
A range of sport documentaries are available to watch on the BBC iPlayer.
Exact scheduling details will be confirmed in due course.

“In these unprecedented and difficult times we are delighted to bring some of the most incredible sporting events from years gone by to our audiences over the next few months," said director of sport Barbara Slater.

"From glorious moments at the Olympics including the magic of London 2012, thrilling Euro 96 matches, wonderful Wimbledon moments and the best of World Championship snooker, there is something for everyone to enjoy.”

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah, but apart from all of that, what's the BBC good for? :dunce:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Italia 90 would be great.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52134253
April’s World Snooker Championships will be replaced by some of the best matches from tournaments gone by.

I will look forward to this...

Italia 90 and Euro 96

England Aus 2003 Rugby Final

Highlights of our gold medals in London 2012

Masters and British Open Highlights

So much they could show.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Appreciate that there is no live sport to cover, and that the current situation makes it impossible to generate new productions to fill screen time (when would they run out of new stuff BTW?) but, and maybe it's just me, watching sporting replays when you know the outcome is just plain dull. Sport has to be in the moment.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
More repeats from the BBC.

At least it keeps Mrs Brown's Boys from being on the BBC 24 hours a day.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
It wasn't all that great, apart from England's run to the semis. Personally I preferred Mexico 86, Spain 82, and France 98 as tournaments.

Spain 82 was a classic as was Euro 84 ,Oh they didn't show much of that live as no home nation were in it :D

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Personally I preferred France 98 as tournaments.

Oh great, I agree can they do an old BBC News just after England match moaning about the hooligans charging each other on the beach in the “fan zone” with that sole English drummer playing as stones were being luzzed about, it was like zulu

Ahhh memories

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I will look forward to this...

Italia 90 and Euro 96

England Aus 2003 Rugby Final

Highlights of our gold medals in London 2012

Masters and British Open Highlights

So much they could show.

Spare a thought for poor old BBC Scotland, who have to go back to black & white footage for their highlights

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Well, I'll tune in to see the 2012 Olympic opening show again... I thought it was great. It would be good to see old matches when,, Shearer, Owen , Gascoigne etc were in their prime.. How about some classic Albion matches?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Well, I'll tune in to see the 2012 Olympic opening show again... I thought it was great. It would be good to see old matches when,, Shearer, Owen , Gascoigne etc were in their prime.. How about some classic Albion matches?

The cup final is on BT today

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
won't be popular on here,but I'd like to see some old F1

79 French
84 Monaco
85 Portuguese

to name but three

also the Masters

espcailly when Faldo reeled in Greg Norman

or any win by Seve

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports