Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not being wanted at Galatasary might mean he will be prepared to toe the line a bit more.
It's in our best interests to improve him and get him available to the match day squad.

If Potter can do that, I would be pretty impressed

Player management is supposed to be one of GPs strong points isn’t it? For that reason I was very surprised both Andone and Locadia were shipped out, when we were so short of strikers and it was GP’s first season at this level :shrug:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But I'm not the one who has to work with him, train with him, develop on-field understandings with him. That's what it comes down to for me. If the reports of his personality are accurate, but it was due to the issues with the system and his own struggles, and it's something he has managed to work through and can rebuild relationships with the squad, then I'd be happy to see him back.

This

And for me this is where Potter has a chance to prove his worth,
Is he only capable of working with well disciplined professionals and youngsters, or does he have the man-management skills to deal with egotistical "problem" players.

If he proves he can do it, then he will have a long and potentially illustrious career ahead of him.
If not, he may have found his level with us.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's my understanding that not many of the players actually liked him, or am I wrong? When he left, the social media silence was deafening...

If that's the case, isn't he just going to have a negative effect on the whole mood of the team?

This big time! Seems like the health crisis has skewed people's memories.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This big time! Seems like the health crisis has skewed people's memories.

Not at all.

For me the question is two-fold
  1. Does he want to play for us and be a team player?
  2. Can Potter manage him?

Seems to me there have always been plenty of egotistical unpopular players in the game.
Some managers can integrate them into a team, some can't.

Nothing I have seen from him to date indicates that he is a total mentalist who cannot contribute to the team.
If he isn't popular with team mates, that only matters if he is also a disruptive influence.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's my understanding that not many of the players actually liked him, or am I wrong? When he left, the social media silence was deafening...

If that's the case, isn't he just going to have a negative effect on the whole mood of the team?

Do you like everyone at your work? I'll guess no

Do you make an effort to put that aside, because your at work and being paid to do a job? I'll guess yes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think at the time he was shipped out, many people may have thought there was a chance that Connolly would take his place as main back up/occasional partner for Maupay.

As you say, this hasn't really worked out that way.

It may also be that Andone was considered to be a bad role model to have around Connolly.
Who clearly remains one to watch for the future.

Not at PL Level I don't think - I had hoped he might be but having seen more of him now, I don't see him as a PL standard player. He clearly has an eye for goal but I don't see him having enough about him to be able to change a match at this level regularly.

Although I said the same about Harry Kane when I used to watch him on Loan down at Millwall, and look how that turned out.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Player management is supposed to be one of GPs strong points isn’t it? For that reason I was very surprised both Andone and Locadia were shipped out, when we were so short of strikers and it was GP’s first season at this level :shrug:

I have a feeling it might not have been him who wanted shot of him. No Manager would have wanted to leave themselves so short of Strikers.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Which tells you enough about them and the sort of affect they had on the squad.

We won’t see Andone again.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Accepting that the article linked above is hardly definite proof he'll be joining up with the first team, getting serious consideration as a starter or ever actually playing for us again...

Personally, I have no issue with him coming back. Some of the animosity to him are comments he gave as a loan player speaking on behalf of his new team, as a romanian to a turkish journalist. To me there is a lot of scope in that for a) communication/translation problems (especially if we're seeing a translation of said interview) b) buttering up on new fans (think how many loan players from the premier league act like they'd love to make their moves to lower division clubs permanent or similar comments to their local press, yeah, lots of players would love to swap an utd for macclesfield!). Then add in how much the fans turned against Hughton's defensive football - do you think it's easy for attacking players in that sort of set up? I can totally see him getting frustrated with it, especially if it makes him look/feel/seem like he's not capable of cutting it in the premier league and the psychological damage that can do (e.g. the lashing out at team mates in an attempt to deflect from his own failings/inability to translate his usual game into the new set up), and can easily see it bleeding over into the new season where we were all excited for attacking football but he still had to sit on the bench more than he'd like.

But I'm not the one who has to work with him, train with him, develop on-field understandings with him. That's what it comes down to for me. If the reports of his personality are accurate, but it was due to the issues with the system and his own struggles, and it's something he has managed to work through and can rebuild relationships with the squad, then I'd be happy to see him back.
So you think he’s a **** then :clap:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

If you can't restrain yourself from a dangerous tackle when you've been given the chance to start and lead the line and it's the hottest day of the year, and getting sent off will seriously **** off your manager and team mates, can you restrain yourself during training? I bet you can't.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
He can score goals at this level, it's just a question of have all his bridges been burnt.

If he is welcomed back, the clear the air meeting with the squad and Potter would be dynamite TV.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He wanted out and did whatever he could do in order to get his move.

If he come back and wants to stay I’m sure Potter could work with him .... the ball is firmly in his court.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I got the impression from what I could see on the pitch, from what I read in the press, from comments on the radio during games and what I read on here and that was he Andone was a bit of a disruptive person within the group and that was the reason he was shipped out if true would we want him back?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Andone is good enough player, but he’s a liability. A red card waiting to happen, or as we saw against West Brom(??), a retrospective 5(?) game ban for violent conduct. No thanks but if we can get something back on the £5m outlay, that’d be good

Ahh, you have kinda already alluded he is a liability, so therefore it’s worth taking a hit and forgetting about 5 million if he could cost us a result that sends us down and potentially losing out on any monies we may get from staying in the Premier League, don’t ya think.

How cool is this actual footie banter

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder why Galatasary have gone cold on him?

Maybe their players all thought he was a tosser as well?

Think they went cold on him when they signed Falcao a week later. Seems an odd signing with Turkeys overseas player rules

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here