Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] RIP Eddie Large

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I think the thing about E.L., for me anyway, was that while some of the material was pretty dreadful and the act was rooted in those far-off days of the likes of Bernard Manning and co., he was obviously just a naturally very funny bloke. You couldn't imagine him not being funny, in any era. Although the likes of Little and Large become rather unfashionable, they just had that knack of making people laugh.
How we could do with that now.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
One of my earliest memories as a youngster was watching Little and Large on Opportunity Knocks, they made me laugh then and continued to do so for many years.

RIP Eddie.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A naturally funny fella.
Much as I didn't want to like him when i was a teenager, he invariably raised a laugh.

Jul 7, 2003
Exactly, 25million tuned in at their peak, just they were sadly derided in certain quarters.

Good old fashioned family entertainment, from a bygone era.

Fun fact, he was so well thought of at Man City, he was sat on the bench at Wembley for the 1981 FA Cup final replay. (hopefully a techie on here will be able to produce a still)

eddie large.PNG

Not sure that is the cup final though

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Litlle and large were always up against it. They were successful at a time when their type of comedy was dying out.They would always suffer in comparison to better acts ( Morecambe and Wise , The Two Ronnies). And Syd Little was a strange talent and charisma free zone. Eddie Large though , despite not being my cup of tea, obviously had the comedy chops. the experience and the natural talent to deserve his place in 80's light entertainment land. Sad it ended so horribly for him.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I met him oddly when I was younger. My dad used to run the village fete and had a contact (I think) at the Eastbourne theatre who used to persuade whoever was doing summer season them to open it.

My dad used to lead the procession up the high street (in his veteran open car) with the stars in the back, they used to turn up to our house in the morning.

Little and Large, John Inman, Ray Allen and Lord Charles,Lena Zavaroni, Harry H Corbett and even Jeremy Beadle all came round for breakfast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here