Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Amazon Echo Show 8 just £60 (Video calls with elderly parents?)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Amazon have reduced the price of the Echo Show 8 (Echo with 8 inch HD screen) to just £60.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/amazon-ech...Z/?ie=UTF8&link_code=hom&tag=northstandcha-21

My mum is a complete technophobe (uses an old school phone), but I'm hoping she'll be able to have video calls with the grandkids with this. We'll use the Alexa app our end.

I'm using her neighbour's wi-fi, with his permission. :)

Will be setting up at home and posting, so she just has to plug it in. Wish me luck.

Anyway, anyone else have one?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Or you could maybe just do a video call on WhatsApp for free?

If they don’t have a mobile phone (my mum doesn’t) you’re likely to be outlaying a lot more than sixty quid to get your “free” video calls.

(And these calls will also be free once the device has been purchased)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If they don’t have a mobile phone (my mum doesn’t) you’re likely to be outlaying a lot more than sixty quid to get your “free” video calls.

(And these calls will also be free once the device has been purchased)

Might be mistaken, probably am, but won't the participant also need broadband access for this new wonder thing?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Might be mistaken, probably am, but won't the participant also need broadband access for this new wonder thing?

All covered in the original post.

She's a technophobe. She doesn't have a smartphone - and wouldn't want one/know how to use it.

And I'm borrowing the neighbour's wi-fi details (with permission).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All covered in the original post.

She's a technophobe. She doesn't have a smartphone - and wouldn't want one/know how to use it.

And I'm borrowing the neighbour's wi-fi details (with permission).

Ah, right, so she DOES need broadband access (even if it's somebody else's). Cheers for clarification :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here