Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daily Number 10 Press Conferences

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Has anyone else noticed that generally when the journalists ask a question they very rarely get a straight answer. For instance at every briefing there seems to be a question on front line staff not getting the correct PPE but the answer is always along the lines of X million pieces of PPE have been dispatched to etc etc. nothing about why doctors and nurses are still complaining about not getting it and it not being the right stuff. Other times the politicians start an answer with "that's a really important question..." and then completely fail to provide an answer! Even the civil servants are doing the same now. Why can't they be truthful its not a though they are giving away state secrets!

I for one am getting pretty well pissed off with it.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Agree that is annoying but then what do you expect if you ask the business secretary about ppe? Why would he know?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
When did a politician EVER give a straight answer to even the simplest of questions?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We weren't prepared for the onslaught this virus is and no country in the world were.

Rubbish.

South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan have all reacted a lot better than us.

Europe has struggled but you can see that most are testing a lot more people than us. Germany clearly learnt the lessons from SE Asia and were ready with a huge testing regime. We’ve been the last to the party on lockdown and testing and we’re going to see the effect of this over the next month.

I hold the government to the highest account, I want Britain to be the best in the world at dealing with a crisis like this, I’m worried that we’ve had extra time to prepare to avoid an Italian or Spanish situation but unlike Germany & France, we’ve sat on our hands and we’ll now see Southern European infection and death rates.

On the press conferences, the worrying thing is the scientists are giving political responses (i.e not answering the question properly).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that generally when the journalists ask a question they very rarely get a straight answer. For instance at every briefing there seems to be a question on front line staff not getting the correct PPE but the answer is always along the lines of X million pieces of PPE have been dispatched to etc etc. nothing about why doctors and nurses are still complaining about not getting it and it not being the right stuff. Other times the politicians start an answer with "that's a really important question..." and then completely fail to provide an answer! Even the civil servants are doing the same now. Why can't they be truthful its not a though they are giving away state secrets!

I for one am getting pretty well pissed off with it.

Try listening to one of Donald Trumps rambling press conferences..... lots of references to " marvellous things that are happening, our great country is pulling together like never before to deal with this great victory we are doing and going to have.... things will be as good as before or better than ever before.... this virus, that might disappear in April when it warms up will be like it was never there … great corporations, truly great corporations are starting to make things, devices and therapies and other things despite Nancy Pelosi saying that my handling of this Chinese virus has been bad... my poll numbers have never been so good and they are going to get better than ever before despite them already being better than any other leaders world wide... when we end in our inevitable victory, a great victory, a wonderful victory it will be.... victory the like of what never happened before " ad infinitum

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree that is annoying but then what do you expect if you ask the business secretary about ppe? Why would he know?

Because he's been briefed by those that should know! That's why he's fronting the press conference. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the questions have already been submitted to them prior to the briefing beginning.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree and the answer is quite simple. We weren't prepared for the onslaught this virus is and no country in the world were.

That is a weak get out of jail card for the government.

They've been banging on for ages about ramping up testing for NHS staff yet only 2000 key staff out of about 500k nurses have been tested whereas Germany is doing about 50k test a day!!!

Gove came up with garbage about reagents being in short supply but was quickly found out when Robert Peston spoke to the chemical industry and they advised they can provide what's needed, the Government just need to specify what they need.

People will, or are, dying because of the poor decision making of this government.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm just getting ever more pissed off with the actual journalists and their increasingly stupid and repetitive questions, it almost like they see the opportunity to score points against the government and get some fame whilst on TV for 30 seconds.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree and the answer is quite simple. We weren't prepared for the onslaught this virus is and no country in the world were.

South Korea and countries hit by Sars were. Germany testing figures suggest they got their shit sorted out with testing far quicker than we did, and banned any PPE exports early doors.

Now we weren't prepared, but what we don't need is our leaders making promises or commitments that can't be met, that will simply erode trust and confidence. You cannot stand in front of the people and promise them 25k tests per day and 2 weeks later still get nowhere near that. We need leaders to be upfront, if there is a ridiculous shortage and we've f8cked up not being in the best place in the queue, then front it up, say we're not going to be able to mass test for sometime.

We started Boris's daily briefings 2 or 3 weeks ago and it all seemed very much under control, Whitting and Vallance either side looking authortive and knowing what they were doing. 2 weeks later and the stuff they were talking about happening then - still isn't happening now. Each day, where is the PPE, where is the 25k per day testing, where is the tracking of cases etc. etc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because he's been briefed by those that should know! That's why he's fronting the press conference. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the questions have already been submitted to them prior to the briefing beginning.

there's the thing. politicans are briefed, they dont actually know a lot of whats going on, only what they are informed.

also the media-politican one is inherently distrustful. the politican is assuming the journalist is trying to catch them out, and the journalist is assuming the politican is hiding something. in the initial phase of an event the journalist has genuine questons, and the politican trying to handle situation is getting good, narrow briefing, has good answers. now we're into the business as usual phase, they are reverting to their adversarial positions, the politican doesnt want to say anything that might be misconstrued and the journalist is trying to make a story.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
South Korea and countries hit by Sars were. Germany testing figures suggest they got their shit sorted out with testing far quicker than we did, and banned any PPE exports early doors.

Now we weren't prepared, but what we don't need is our leaders making promises or commitments that can't be met, that will simply erode trust and confidence. You cannot stand in front of the people and promise them 25k tests per day and 2 weeks later still get nowhere near that. We need leaders to be upfront, if there is a ridiculous shortage and we've f8cked up not being in the best place in the queue, then front it up, say we're not going to be able to mass test for sometime.

We started Boris's daily briefings 2 or 3 weeks ago and it all seemed very much under control, Whitting and Vallance either side looking authortive and knowing what they were doing. 2 weeks later and the stuff they were talking about happening then - still isn't happening now. Each day, where is the PPE, where is the 25k per day testing, where is the tracking of cases etc. etc.
Which makes you wonder if Boris has just done a runner

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
af5215aeb3733d1debb60464f75ad54c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

As long ago as 2016 meetings were held with health secretaries from various countries, Jeremy Hunt was involved, to discuss this exact problem, but we did nothing, also it was stated that the NHS would be woefully underprepared should a pandemic occur.
Then we had China, other parts of Asia and then Italy.
So no, no notice at all really.
Regarding the press conferences, it started out ok because they could be straight and honest and were delivering news on wages etc etc, but now they have made a complete and utter balls up of it they have reversed to type, dodging questions, lying and talking the talk about stuff that either they can't do, won't do or should have done a long time ago.
I wish someone would wheel Gove away, the way he speaks to us from the lecturn and his stupid face winds me right up.

Well my original comment was to say we weren't prepared for it like every other country....the response from our leaders compared to other countries is another matter. In terms of the PPE for frontline staff we have failed badly. The government rattle on the same lines every day like we have so many millions of this and that being delivered here there and everywhere., that's simply not answering the questions which most NHS staff want. The government admitting failure by saying something like we're doing our best but we had not prepared for this should be their answer but they would never admit it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
As long ago as 2016 meetings were held with health secretaries from various countries, Jeremy Hunt was involved, to discuss this exact problem, but we did nothing, also it was stated that the NHS would be woefully underprepared should a pandemic occur.
Then we had China, other parts of Asia and then Italy.
So no, no notice at all really.
Regarding the press conferences, it started out ok because they could be straight and honest and were delivering news on wages etc etc, but now they have made a complete and utter balls up of it they have reversed to type, dodging questions, lying and talking the talk about stuff that either they can't do, won't do or should have done a long time ago.
I wish someone would wheel Gove away, the way he speaks to us from the lecturn and his stupid face winds me right up.

I think the ministerial cupboard is pretty bare. The only one that has impressed is Sunak. I'd like to know how much the experts who show up are constrained by the politicians. It defies belief that they wouldn't have a joint briefing beforehand. Obviously no-one wants to create any disunity on the platform on an occasion such as this, but the overall impression is one of collective smugness and complacency, I'm afraid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here